OT-Over Pressured Bolt Action ! UPDATED

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Over Pressured Bolt Action ! UPDATED

Post by Bigahh »

Ran into a cheap rifle today, and bought it just for the mounts, and the stock. It is a remington Model 7 in 300 wsm that was fired with a .308 win. shell !! I got it for 100 bucks. I plan on bringing it to a smith to see if it can be salvaged. No visible signs of over pressure except the bolt will not open. Any thoughts if this could possibly be saved ? maybe re-barreled? Never heard of such a problem. Took a chance as the mounts, rings and stock are worth the cost.
Last edited by Bigahh on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Over Pressured Bolt Action !

Post by Nath »

Will the bolt turn?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The 300 wsm is much higher pressure round than the 308. If the 308 case is still in the chamber most likely there is no damage, just a ruptured case jamming things up.
Use a plastic mallet and tap the bolt open. Then start the diagnosis.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:The 300 wsm is much higher pressure round than the 308. If the 308 case is still in the chamber most likely there is no damage, just a ruptured case jamming things up.
Use a plastic mallet and tap the bolt open. Then start the diagnosis.

Joe
That's my thoughts, too.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

+1 for what Joe said it should be fine once you get the bolt open
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

The Bolt is completely stuck 1/2 way open. I will give it a try with a rubber mallet.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Would it be silly to use liquid nitrogen or solid carbon dioxide, applied to the bolt handle to try and shrink the bolt enough to allow a bit more clearance in the lug area?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

In agree with Joe. You found a DEAL!!! :wink:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

When you get it open, post pix of what's inside! :o
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT-Over Pressured Bolt Action !..UPDATED

Post by Bigahh »

The bolt did not come out easy! A Rubber mallet worked, but the shell stayed in the chamber. I tapped that out with a cleaning rod. looking into the chamber the lands look an Oblong shape, not perfectly round like normal. As you can see the Bolt face needs a bit of work. A Gun Smith needs to look at it. If I need to have a new Barrel screwed on I can deal with that. I am just not a fan of any Short Mag. Maybe that can also be changed if possible. As expected the case was ruptured ! Thanks for all the Valuable Input !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT-Over Pressured Bolt Action ! UPDATED

Post by J Miller »

I'm glad it came apart OK. Looks like you have the beginnings of a really good project rifle.

What is that piece of metal sticking out by the ejector button on the bolt face?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

J Miller wrote:I'm glad it came apart OK. Looks like you have the beginnings of a really good project rifle.

What is that piece of metal sticking out by the ejector button on the bolt face?

Joe

I think that it is the retaining ring that holds the bolt face in ! Although I did not know it even existed. It looks as though it came out part way, and most of it stayed in place. The extractor spring also broke. Yes, I have always been hoping for a project Gun to make a .358 win, maybe this is it ! With the bolt removed and looking down the barrel from the chamber the Lands are not a perfect round shape, they are a slight Egg shape right before the Rifling starts. Does not look normal to me. After cleaning a barrel I always look down it this way to make sure no patch is inside, and it just doesnt look right to me. I will take it to an expert though.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Mercy! :shock:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That looks like the extractor. It is a ring shaped piece that goes in the outer ring of the bolt face. The old ones were riveted in and the new ones are just a pressure fit like a snap ring. It broke when the bolt came out. Look to Brownells for the extractor.
I would not think the bore is at all hurt. Take a chamber cast
and study the lead area.
Maybe your gunsmith has a bore scope and can tell for sure. Good luck, :wink: