OT-CCW class

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

OT-CCW class

Post by .45colt »

Several years ago I picked up a Taurus .38 ultralite 5 shot revolver for the Wife. She always wanted Her own gun for personal protection. soon after She started bugging Me about takeing a CCW class. I was finally able to get last weekend off and we were able to take the class.
It was held at the local gunclub by Two police officers with more than 50 years combined experience. I used a Charter arms snubbie .38 that My Mom bought 30years ago.
There were 15 in the class,two Women and only four revolvers. two had never fired their gun.most had newer 9&40mm pistols. one self appointed expert looking at My wifes little Taurus basically told Her it was junk and wouldn't hold up. halfway through the class it was pointed out that most of the class would never be able to carry in warm weather unless they bought smaller size guns. on the range Sunday the temp was 32* windy but sunny. one shooter remarked to my wife that she was perfectly conceled with her coat on.
on the range one shooter's pistol would not work and He ended up using one of the instructors 9mm's for the course. despite her nerves,the Wife did just fine and out of fifty rounds had just one bad miss off the target.She also was very impressed with her little revolver. We learned alot and came away with a much bigger appreciation for the Police. On the way home the Wife said "We need to get a bunch of speed loaders." :lol:
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-CCW class

Post by MrMurphy »

Have her look into some speedstrips, and Speer Gold Dot 135 grain hollowpoints. That load was specifically made for snub revolvers, I believe for the NYPD originally, to ensure proper performance and expansion.

I'm not a particular fan of Taurus, but as the 85 is a straight clone of the Chief's Special it's hard to screw up.

Odd tidbit of the day, if you watch the series "Firefly" ......... Mal (the captain)'s gun is a Taurus 85 with a new grip frame and a shell around it. Still works firing blanks too. :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bianchi Speed-strips (and there is another 'clone' brand) are way better than the round 'speed-loaders' in my opinion - easier to conceal and really almost as fast to use.

As far as the Taurus - IF you want a revolver that will ride through hell and back with you, survive tumbles off mountains or horses, and double as a hammer or boat-anchor, get a Ruger. If you have to have a "name" on it, get a Smith or Colt. If you just want to carry it and have it go 'bang' reliably when you need it, get a Taurus - and spend the money you saved on extra ammo so you can HIT what you shoot at.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Glad to that you and your wife took the class. You must be real proud of your wife to want go through the class. We need more folks to get their permits to carry.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I carry the exact same Taurus revolver. It is flawless. I'm not a big fan of officers who Poo Poo others choices in weapons...each individual is....exactly that, and individual. My choice in weapons may not be theirs, and any discrimination is based solely on their own requirements...not yours or your wife's. My wife carries what I wouldn't. Because it fits her needs...not anyone else's. And no matter what anyone else says....the Taurus is a darn fine revolver for CCH.

Ed
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I'm proud of My Wife as She did well in the class and She's a trooper,a Young 55 :D . between the very cold weather we have had and a very tragic death in Her family last week,range time was olmost nil. the little Taurus will not see thousands of rounds so I am not concerned about it holding up to a pounding. If I did plan on lots of shooting the the choice would be Ruger.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JerryB wrote:Glad to that you and your wife took the class. You must be real proud of your wife to want go through the class. We need more folks to get their permits to carry.
+1 on all 3 counts!

I've made it a point - more due to tradition - to use my Dad's old service revolver (a S&W M19) when I have went through the CCW courses in the different states I've lived in. I am usually the only one with a revolver in these classes. Then again, I am usually the only one also to have no jams or misfires of any kind, as well as the only one to hit the target 100% of the time... :D
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Kansas Ed wrote:I carry the exact same Taurus revolver. It is flawless. I'm not a big fan of officers who Poo Poo others choices in weapons...each individual is....exactly that, and individual. My choice in weapons may not be theirs, and any discrimination is based solely on their own requirements...not yours or your wife's. My wife carries what I wouldn't. Because it fits her needs...not anyone else's. And no matter what anyone else says....the Taurus is a darn fine revolver for CCH.

Ed
WELL SAID!