Best Cowboy Music

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Best Cowboy Music

Post by Newtmaker »

While in N GA visiting my two brothers and Mom, one brother gave me a cd full of music by Red Steagall. I listened to it on the drive back and it was absolutely the best coyboy music/stories I have ever heard. I guess I am hooked, so now I am wondering if there are other "favorites" out there in "lever gun" world.

Walt
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Best Cowboy Music

Post by zack coyote »

Try Don Edwards for good old time cowboy songs.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I grew up with my late Dad listening to Marty Robbins singing the "Songs of the Gunfighters", or some title like that -- on a record, no less!

It's a great one, especially with tunes like "Big Iron", "Cool Water" and of course "El Paso".

Tight groups,

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Wynn Stewart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qNs75UaG3A

"During the late '50s, Tommy Collins and Wynn Stewart were two of the pioneering Bakersfield artists to have hits, and both were influential on Merle Haggard's career ...."
"Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Wynn Stewart, and Tommy Collins were a continuance of the West Coast's robust, independent-minded country music scene .... Buck's style of music and that of Haggard, Wynn Stewart and Collins, collectively known as the "Bakersfield Sound," helped define the country music of a generation."
http://www.wynnstewart.com/

Cheers,

Carl
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Old No7 wrote:I grew up with my late Dad listening to Marty Robbins singing the "Songs of the Gunfighters", or some title like that -- on a record, no less!

It's a great one, especially with tunes like "Big Iron", "Cool Water" and of course "El Paso".

Tight groups,

Old No7
Amen to Marty Robbins. His songs "Utah Carol", "The Strawberry Roan", and the "Masters Call" are all great. One of the greatest voices to every grace the airwaves.

Old No7 the album is " Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs". I have the album on my iPhone.
Ricky

DWWC
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Best Cowboy music....is the one you don't turn on. Sorry guys, I'm a cowboy that listens to rock.
Old Law Dawg
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Not a huge country fan either, but George Strait's classic--and the one that really put him on the map--"Amarillo (By Morning)" to me is the very best - and best road tune too. Has got to be on your CD or MP3 compilation! Here's a concert clip: rtsp://v7.cache8.c.youtube.com/CjgLENy73wIaLwn8KJmMrpqnORMYESARFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSB3Jlc3VsdHNgkanAqoC0xOhLDA==/0/0/0/video.3gp
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:Best Cowboy music....is the one you don't turn on. Sorry guys, I'm a cowboy that listens to rock.
I' sure Kim knows the difference, but "cowboy" is a far cry from "country"; many will put them together, but, they'd soon learn the dfference.

Micheal Martin Murphy has a great 4 album set, Sons of the Joakim, Guy Clark, Sons of the Desert, Waddie Mithell, Dwight Yoakam has 2 good cowboys albums, Ty Herdon, Asleep at the Wheel, and quite a few others! Truly music!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Old No7 wrote:I grew up with my late Dad listening to Marty Robbins singing the "Songs of the Gunfighters", or some title like that -- on a record, no less!

It's a great one, especially with tunes like "Big Iron", "Cool Water" and of course "El Paso
Don't forget, "Mr. Shorty" That was Marty's best song.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Chris Ledoux.....and George Strait
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Ian Tyson, Michael Martin Murphy, Chris Ledoux, Brenn Hill, Dan Roberts and Templeton Thompson to name a few of the great current folks. And no, Country music is not the same as Western music.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Ozzy Osbourn, and Molly Hatchet, That's who I listen too in the country...and in the city!
Terry
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

Dave Stamey is probably not widely known outside of western music circles, but he darn sure should be. The guy is an incredible performer, and is probably tied with Don Edwards as my favorite western music artist.

http://www.davestamey.com/ You can hear excerpts from some of his songs on his website, under the 'Mercantile' tab.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a soft spot for Texas Swing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwReZml9 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X37xnM3V ... re=related

There just isn't any popular music I much care for if it was past 1950 or so.... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm really eclectic in my music tastes; I have everything by Eric Clapton, and albums from Texas Tornadoes, ZZ Top, Poco, Canned Heat, Ray Wiley Hubbard, SR Vaughn, Towns Van Zant, Steve Green, Pearl Snaps, Beatles, KISS, Rollin Stones, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Santana, some bluegrass, jazz, swing, big band and even some classical. Only stuff I dislike is hiphop & rap (just WHAT is the difference)?

When I get tired of the rank, juvenile and really stale over-the-top "Wolfman Jack" wannsbe disc jockey on XM12, I'll plug a 12-pack into my CD changer and crank up SOMETHING! 850 watts of bass sub-woofer, 129 watts in each of the other channels, and Mr Vaughn can make you forget, let alone hear, that other stuff! (What happens to be playing right now, disk one, tr 7... 11 disks to go)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

Check out Michael Berry's "Texas Time" podcast everyday here:

http://www.ktrh.com/cc-common/podcast/s ... astime.xml

He fills in for Mark Levin from time to time and his local talk show is good as well. The Texas music is an addition to the rest of it.

I listen when I can on the 'net.

http://www.ktrh.com/pages/michaelberry.html

Mike
High Desert of Central Oregon
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Michael Murphy, Ian Tyson, RW Hampton, Marty Robbins, Don Edwards and love Alision Krauss's music. danny
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Now I am a bluesman. I play blues guitar. Been in sever blues bands back in the day, etc...

BUT, if I were to choose the best Cowboy Music, it would have to be Marty Robbins, no question! That man had a voice made from solid gold and his old Capitol recording were THE BEST!! All the wannabes they got now could'nt hold a candle to Marty Robbins.......and remember folks, this is comming from a guy that is buried in the blues!

Marty was the business guys....

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sat evenings, they have All Blues.....very good show. You can stream it.

http://1.kplu.org/onair.html

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I Like Chris Ledoux too! Some country and some cowboy, not necissarily the same thing. Hobie can we get a spell checker PLEASE?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Tight groups,

Old No7
Marty Robbins is my favorite but I also like Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Check out Dan Roberts. He has a song called "Cowboy.com" that tells the story of the old time cowboy bumping into a modern day ranch management company. He was/is a real deal rodeo and ranch cowboy, like Chris Ledoux and it shows in his lyrics. He also writes for some of the country artists. Her wrote :Beaches of Cheyenne" for Garth Brooks. He lives just west of Ft Worth.

http://www.danroberts.net/
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As others have said, Marty Robbins is my favorite. I particularly like San Angelo. They made a movie based on it "Guns of a Stranger". But as to my favorite(s), I'd have to go with the trilogy, "El Paso, Felina, and El Paso City". With special mention going to "Man Walks Amoung Us". Anyone who has spent anytime on the desert, especially in the morning just at dawn can relate
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Marty Robbins, Roy Rogers, Sons of the Pioneers,Michael Martin Murphy... and

Doesn't anyone listen to Riders in the Sky?

The song the do "How the Yodel was Born" is great! :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Kx2sRe5l8&NR=1
Last edited by Rusty on Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Well I'm gonna go with Marty Robbins too for top spot. Let's face it, how many forty-somethings have his cowboy CD. I make at least one.

But I'd like to toss in a dark horse that no one has mentioned yet........ Frankie Laine. My folks have an album of his that they used to listen too a lot. It was very good. Let' face it, he wasn't country/western at heart but he does a dang good job of it and it can't be bad from the guy who sang the theme to Rawhide. Haven't heard it for years, need to get it. He also did numerous other western songs and soundtracks.

LK
DonP.
Levergunner

Post by DonP. »

Another vote here for Sons of the Pioneers and Ghost Riders.

FWIW Rhino Records put out a great 4 CD set of Favorite Cowboy songs a few years back. I picked up one on sale at Borders. One CD is nothing but Roy Rogers, another is Gene Autry and Roy with movie songs, a third one (my personal favorite) is theme songs from movies and TV series, (yes, they have The Rifleman, Bonanza, Colt 45, Have Gun Will Travel, Wyatt Earp, Gunsmoke and a lot of the more obscure ones too) the last CD is a lot of Lefty Frizzell, Patsy Montana and other old, long gone Nashville greats doing cowboy songs when the Grand Ole Opry still had some Western in it and no lasers or smoke pots on stage.

Maybe it's time to put some "Western" back into Country and Western?

I've always felt the world started to go to hell in a hand basket when the Lone Ranger went off the air anyway.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This new rock and roll so-called country sucks a huge one. I have to go back to the sixties to find a decent trailing edge to "country" music. Good old Hank and Red, Tom, and Mel...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Here's another fellow I like, Dave Ball ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChjMU4MULPE

Cheers,

Carl
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

BlaineG wrote:This new rock and roll so-called country sucks a huge one. I have to go back to the sixties to find a decent trailing edge to "country" music. Good old Hank and Red, Tom, and Mel...
+1 I must agree..........

listen to the "roadhouse" on XM radio and you'll know what I mean.

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

LK, between Frankie Laine and Glen Yarbrough they covered most of the theme songs for western TV shows and the movies. danny
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I grew up on Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins (Mom's favorite), Ferron Young, Buck Owens, Charlie Pride, Charlie Rich, the great Merle Haggard, Tammy Waynette, Lynn Anderson, of course Pasty, Loretta and Conway....the list goes on and on. I'll listen to any and all of them and most of the modern artist, I said most....with Alan Jackson and George Strait being high on the list. I've been known to listen to a lot of 60's and 70's rock too.

I do not like the old, twangy, "true" county sound of Bob Wills or Hank Sr.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

The group "Asleep At the Wheel" is excellent Texas/Western type swing music.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

new pig hunter wrote:Here's another fellow I like, Dave Ball ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChjMU4MULPE

Cheers,

Carl
his best song is "Thinkin problem"...this guy is real country....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RKrodle wrote:

Tight groups,

Old No7
Amen to Marty Robbins. His songs "Utah Carol", "The Strawberry Roan", and the "Masters Call" are all great. One of the greatest voices to every grace the airwaves.

Old No7 the album is " Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs". I have the album on my iPhone.

My kids used to ask me to get out my "Big CDs" and play them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Great post. This is one of my favorite music genres. There are some good ones performing now, but I sure did like the "old timers"! Surprised nobody mentioned Johnny Bond.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

For all fans of "Gunfighter Ballads" try to find a copy of the obscure "More Gunfighter Ballads" - this is the album with the tune "San Angelo"on it.
Next to Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger" makes for some fine cowboy tunes.