PRAYER REQUEST - Wife Had to Put Horse Down

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

PRAYER REQUEST - Wife Had to Put Horse Down

Post by Rebel1972 »

Yesterday while I was at work my wife called crying .We have(had) four horses, two of them are younger ,13 and 11 I think.The other two my wife got when she was twelve ,so that makes them 23-25.Anyway,one of the younger ones was laying down a lot and rolling ,so we had been keeping an eye on her.We figured it was probably a touch of colic.Yesterday my wife went out to check on her and found Kate,one of the old ones shivering and unable to breath .The doc said she had so much water around her heart and lungs that it was best to just put her down. Now ,I'm not a horsey person but I did like Katie because she thought she was queen of the pasture but was easy going toward me.I am worried the other old horse,Lady,is not that far behind because they had been together so long.So ,if it crosses your mind today ,say a little prayer of comfort for my wife .I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks ,
Rebel
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My prayers are with you. I just bought a belgium/mule cross this week and I am already very attached. These equine members of our family become part of our lives. I will pray that the memories soon replace teh grief and that the other horse stays healthy. Prayers for you, your wife and your family.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

10-4 on that pard. These thing are usually harder on the wife than us dudes but it hits us hard too. We had a little Shetland pony that lived to 28. When he died, it took a lot out of us. We have 4 horses and 14 dogs with the oldest horse at 26 and another at 24. Our dogs start at 4 with the oldest at 12. In time, like most bad things that happen, your wife will feel better.

Over the years, my wife and I have come to realize that the animals in our life have been more important than most people. They don't ask for nothing but a little food and a place to lay their head, plus I can turn my back to them.----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Prayers sent
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Thoughts and prayers with you and your wife. Our only mare, a registerd quarter horse out of Douglas, WY, coliced a few weeks back and it was terrible to see her in so much pain. I was worried about her going down and, like you stated, she is just the sweetest little lady, and rules the geldings. However, we were able to get in touch with one of the local trainers and he came out and gave her a sedative and a pain injection and she is doing fine now. We have a much older gelding Tennesee Walker, in the 23-25 years old range and I worry alot about him. He is the wise old man of the herd. Horses are like dogs, they become part of the family, but we expect they to pass on at some point. Hard to face sometimes, but part of life.
Zack
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

We also have an old Black Lab.She was found by a vaccume cleaner sales person on the side of the interstate. The sales person gave her to my mom and dad who gave her to me to give to my ,then new, girlfriend .That was a little over 13 years ago.Sam is still as spry as a pup but getting white all around the muzzle.
Last edited by Rebel1972 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Those days are always tough.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers said. Sorry to hear this...
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

The Horse is one of God's greatest creatures. If more people would get involved with Horses, there'd be less trouble in this country. Our last two Horses were in their thirties when one had a stroke, and had to be put down. Two months later her old partner developed Congestive Heart Failure, and passed on. These times are hard on anyone. Tell your wife we share her grief. Buy a Horse, there's more grass than there is oil.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Saying good by to old friends for the last time is never easy but watching them suffer as they beg for relief is harder . Prayers are said for your wife and the horse. Mike
If I can't shoot or pee off my own back porch when I want to then I'm not free and I won't live there. Thank you God for my freedom!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

My prayers go out for your family, I'm not a horse person, but I know what it has been like for my family to lose a couple of dogs that were long time members of the family.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Its always hard trying to get a good sight picture thru the tears, never gets any easier, and seems a piece of your heart gets torn out everytime. Problem with animal stewardship, there's things that come along has to be done as responsibility, that are not easy at all.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Humans are funny the way they get attached to other living things.

The simple lessons that we learn as children to keep us grounded in reality don't seem to ease the grief that we experience when what we know has to happen actually comes to pass.

Prayers for your wife..., that she will find some comfort in remembering her old friend when they were both in their prime, and that it was just time.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Prayers Sent. This is very difficult to deal with.Jim.
g5m
Levergunner

Post by g5m »

Sorry for your loss.
Prayers sent.
Grief is grief. And it takes time to recover.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Prayers for you and yours.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My wife had to have her old mare put down a couple of weeks before our son was born. So I know what your wife is feeling.

Prayers sent.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

My condolences and prayers. Our "furpeople" do become very important to us.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

One's animals are family.

On the list . . .

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Thanks guys for your prayers and thoughts.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I am sorry to hear this. I will include you and your wife in my prayers.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yes, prayers for you both. :(