"Cowboyizing" a Glenfield 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

"Cowboyizing" a Glenfield 30-30

Post by El Mac »

I'm wanting to start this project. Would like to go with an octagon barrel, possibly a longer magazine tube to match along with improving the wood.

Any ideas on where I can get a barrel and/or mag tube?

Thanks...
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Re: "Cowboyizing" a Glenfield 30-30

Post by Steelbanger »

Numrich Arms had 22" Zane Gray 30-30 octagon barrels for around $85. I haven't checked to see whether they have any left or not. Good luck.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Treebone carving should have the wood and I think even with crescent butt plate if that interests you. Boyd's too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

El Mac wrote:I'm wanting to start this project. Would like to go with an octagon barrel, possibly a longer magazine tube to match along with improving the wood.

Thanks...
Didn't Marlin have a program that would do this for you at the factory, if your rifle was made after a certain date? Seems to me that a couple of years ago I read about someone sending a Marlin to the North Haven factory to have this done. Or did this all vanish when Remington took them over?
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

jlchucker wrote:
El Mac wrote:I'm wanting to start this project. Would like to go with an octagon barrel, possibly a longer magazine tube to match along with improving the wood.

Thanks...
Didn't Marlin have a program that would do this for you at the factory, if your rifle was made after a certain date? Seems to me that a couple of years ago I read about someone sending a Marlin to the North Haven factory to have this done. Or did this all vanish when Remington took them over?
Yes, they did have that program for a while. I'm not sure whether they have continued it or not under Remington. I was afraid of sending it to them as I didn't want any lawyerized markings done to the barrel and I was afraid also that they would intall the ridiculous crossbolt safety.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I would get ahold Bill. He recently sold a prodject Marlin on the classifieds that He had John Taylor install a barrel on. I'm sure that Steve at Steves guns (one of our sponsors) sure could point You right also. Bill's Ad. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =2&t=33559
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

At LOT of things, at Marlin, have disappeared since the Remington take-over: quality, employees, sensible pricing, & more.

Hey - even Marlin itself has disappeared, half to New York, half to Kaintuck. ;)
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Thats a shame and a sham. Reckon I'll be getting some barrels from some place else.

I tried calling Marlin today - no joy. Message kept saying that due to high volume calling, they couldn't answer my call and just try again later.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.................
38-72
Levergunner

Post by 38-72 »

Midway has a lot of the small parts and Brownell has a few. I am finding that mag tubes and their springs longer than facotry are hard to find. John Taylor is great for any machine work you might need. I when with a Shilen 30" BPCR barrel for my 32-40 cowboy.