GunBroker know it alls

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

GunBroker know it alls

Post by Mike D. »

I replied to a seller's misinformation concerning a rifle he is auctioning and received a reply that basically said that Madis knew much more than me and my information was unwanted and my ignorance overwhelming. It is fairly obvious to me that he did not read what Madis wrote either. Had he done so my information would have been well accepted. Well, he is wrong, wrong wrong, both in the posted information on his gun and the claim of special ordered features. It's no wonder that his rifle has sat on the site for many months without a serious bid. The longer that his head is firmly in the sand the longer the rifle will sit. Maybe I should keep my trap shut and stay out of other's business, but that isn't my nature I guess. :?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: GunBroker know it alls

Post by pwl44m »

If His ad is misleading then it should be brought to light. Some people r unreceptive to criticism.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

You must be new to Gunbroker...the seller is always right. His gun, his rules...so just don't bid on it.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

It's not too bad when someone gives you a friendly comment or correction about something you have for sale, but I hate the internet experts that email you with their expert advice or corrections when they have no intentions of bidding on the item to begin with. Especially when they're wrong! The internet is a wonderful learning tool, but someone just spend their day looking for people to impress with their new found knowledge.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

If I had some "newfound knowledge" it would be happily shared, but my knowledge has been gained through 40+ years of collecting. Had his gun been one needed to fill a slot it would most assuredly be bid on by me. In this case it is not. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Can you post a link, I would like to see it.
Thanks
Terry
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Gunbroker is pretty much like a table at a gun show in that the seller can say whatever garbage he wants to about what ever he's selling. It's caveat emptor all the way.

You tried. Move along, don't let it bother you.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

olyinaz wrote:Gunbroker is pretty much like a table at a gun show in that the seller can say whatever garbage he wants to about what ever he's selling. It's caveat emptor all the way.

Too right by half. Many GB sellers don't let the truth get in the way of a sale. Not all, but a shockingly high number of them.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

"Maybe I should keep my trap shut and stay out of other's business"

Duh!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I guess when I try to get top dollar for this AK47 I have y'all will rat me out for that. It was Hitler's personal AK ya know.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Rusty wrote:I guess when I try to get top dollar for this AK47 I have y'all will rat me out for that. It was Hitler's personal AK ya know.
I'll be sure to send you an email telling you that I'm an expert an all things Hitler, collected Hitler items for 50 years, and give you an itemized list of all firearms directly related to Hitler! I just love the experts :)
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Some sellers try to deceive and therefore your information is not wanted.

Then there are sellers who just thought they knew and will gladly accept the information of someone who actually does know. I think the approach of someone trying to give information is key also. If they say something like ......"hey...just so you know, blah blah blah blah......" then the seller may say thanks and then correct.

If they say something like...."you are wrong and I know all there is to know about this subject and this is how it is"...........well then the seller may get offended and not trust what the person is saying.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Truth is, unless you have proven and generally accepted evidence which contradicts the evidence the seller believes he has, then you are voicing nothing more than your opinion, and the seller should post what he believes is correct. Furthermore, if you have that published evidence, and you don't source it to the other party, then it still must be accepted as just your opinion. And believe it or not, Madis is the generally accepted authority in Winchester Lever Action. Unfortunately some of the "big brown book" is subject to interpretation, as Mr. Madis did not have an english professors command of the written word. I see a lot of misinterpretations based on the misuse of conjunctions, and improper conjunctions seem to be a plague with a lot of writing. Generally speaking, unless your data source is recognized as a higher authority than Madis, Madis will rule out. I'm not saying that Madis knew everything, and I've run across more than one time in the "big brown book" where Madis contradicts himself, but one statement by Madis doesn't necessarily mean that the contradictory statement by Madis is incorrect or vice versa.

Personally speaking, if I were in the seller shoes, I would at least try to reasonably verify what I had been told. But if I don't happen to interpret Madis the same way as you do, I wouldn't change it either. It would be pretty easy to believe that someone was trying to drive the price down so they could get it for less money than it's worth. On GB there are often crooked people on both sides of the transactions who are trying to gain at others expense.

Ed
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Ed, in this case I believe that the seller misread Madis concerning ELW 1886s. We have exchanged several emails and he is not as challenging as he originally was. Actually, he comes across as fairly genuine. I like his rifle, but have doubts about the reserve, which, of course, is entirely his prerogative. There is a far nicer one very close to me that has my interest at present. :)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not unusual for people to only see the parts of reference material that endorse what they want to believe. They can look right over things that contradict what they believe, and will argue with anyone who disagrees or has info that might detract from their gun's value.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

More than likely he didn't want the truth to get in the way of his sale.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mike, you did the honorable thing. The ball's in his court... either he acts on it, or doesn't, but trying to protect an unknown buyer... well, that's a pipe-dream.
BTW, I have this lovely pre-production mdl 94 Winchester... :twisted: :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!