OT - Lubrisizer question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

OT - Lubrisizer question

Post by shooter »

I've been having an issue with my Lyman 4500 lube sizer lately. When I'm sizing bullets, I get a huge buildup of lube on top of the sizing die platform that the bullet sits on. I've got the stop adjustment screw raised all the way. The lube gets built up and when I pull the bullet out there's a bunch of gunk on the bottom I have to wipe off. This makes for a lot of extra time when sizing, not to mention wastes a ton of lube. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I've never had it happen before until I bought this machine.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Lubrisizer question

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Have you tried not pumping the lube in every round?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ya got either poorly adjusted machine (my guess) or undesized bullets or too much pressure or too much heat, as yer lube is blowing past the "seal" at the bottom driving band. You may have to lower the bottom plunger adjustment a bit to get the bullet lower in the machine and align the hole with the groove better.
Certified gun nut
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

See again what adirondakjack posted.

For the lube to flow properly, the Lubri-sizer requires a calibre-specific sizing die.

Also, see below link for on-line instruction manual:
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bull ... S_4500.pdf
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

adirondakjack wrote:Ya got either poorly adjusted machine (my guess) or undesized bullets or too much pressure or too much heat, as yer lube is blowing past the "seal" at the bottom driving band. You may have to lower the bottom plunger adjustment a bit to get the bullet lower in the machine and align the hole with the groove better.
My bullets aren't undersized, I don't think. I have the plunger adjusted high because if I lower it, I still get the lube on the bottom of the bullet and I also get lube in the crimp groove in the bullet. If that solved the problem I would do it and deal with the lube in the crimp groove. The pressure may be the issue. I will back off on the pressure a little and see if that works. I don't use a heater. I will get out my manual and see how to adjust the machine. Thanks for the analysis! :D
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ok, here's another thought or two. You didn't say what the bullet is, how many lube grooves, or what the sizing/lubing die looks like, how many holes, single row, double row, etc. Even with a single row sizing die (one row of holes), and a single lube groove bullet, you can get into a situation where ya gotta have the bullet height EGGSACKLY right AND ya gotta kinda play with the pressure (how tight the screw is) to get em right. I fought with mine until I got reallllllly fustrated with it and short bullets with narrow driving bands, and went and bought a Star. The star is touchy to set up too, but at least with the two stage pressure system you can moderate the pressure by how hard ya reef on the handle.......
Certified gun nut
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

These things can be tricky to set up. I use RCBS sizer dies as they have only one row of holes compared to the two rows that Lymans have. I use a caliper to measure the distance from the nose of the bullet to the grease groove and from the top of the die to the inlet holes before mounting the die, then I can figure out the exact depth the bullet needs to enter into the die. It's important to keep pressure on the handle when ratcheting up the pressure on the lube and to make sure that the die is actually sizing the bullets - if it is the driving bands will have a shine on them when ejected.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sometimes you have to take machines apart and see what "makes 'em tick".

I just never did like the Lyman. I've had a couple and moved 'em quick as the way the sizing die fits in there, it makes me think the bullet is not going in square. I have two RCBS's now and they are keepers.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Shooter,

Are you using bevel based or gas checked bullets? If so that will allow the lube to squeegee under the bullet base.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

adirondack, I wish it were just happening with one kind of bullet, but it's happening with all of them. .44 keith, .45 keith, .458 405 gr. with 3 grooves, .38 cal 125 gr., and the list goes on. These are just the ones I tried running through recently. Oh well, I guess I will just have to figure out how to adjust it better. I mean, it wouldn't be any fun if there were no problems to work through, right?

Joe, I'm using all flat base bullets. Out of my 30 or so different molds I don't think I even own a bevel base mold.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I assume your sprue is cut clean and there is a nice flat base? Also be sure to hold pressure down on the bullet when turning the wrench to apply more lube.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have had the same problem when using my RCBS lubricator. It is a pain to have to keep cleaning the lube off the ejector rod that pushes the bullet back out of the die.
I do find that it happens a lot less if after the bullet is lubed, if I push it out of the die with a swift smooth stroke of the lever. If you delay the lube will go under the bullet as the nose punch no longer is holding pressure down on the bullet to prevent lube from going there.
If that makes sense?? Try it.works for me. :wink:

Note, how when the bullet is entering the die, the bullets base and ejector rod pass by the lube ports in the die. At that time,the bullet is being sized down and also is pushing the ejector rod down.
When the bullet is being ejected from the die,the base of the bullet also passes the lube ports in the die. If you go slow,lube can enter between the bullets base and the ejector rod. the bullet can even pop up a little due to the pressure of the lube. I have seen this. Pressure from the lube can push the bullet all the way out of the die.
A quick ejecting motion seems to take care of that. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I have had the same problem when using my RCBS lubricator. It is a pain to have to keep cleaning the lube off the ejector rod that pushes the bullet back out of the die.
I do find that it happens a lot less if after the bullet is lubed, if I push it out of the die with a swift smooth stroke of the lever. If you delay the lube will go under the bullet as the nose punch no longer is holding pressure down on the bullet to prevent lube from going there.
If that makes sense?? Try it.works for me. :wink:
Note, how when the bullet is entering the die, the bullets base and ejector rod pass by the lube ports in the die. At that time,the bullet is being sized down and also is pushing the ejector rod down.
When the bullet is being ejected from the die,the base of the bullet also passes the lube ports in the die. If you go slow,lube can enter between the bullets base and the ejector rod. the bullet can even pop up a little due to the pressure of the lube. I have seen this. Pressure from the lube can push the bullet all the way out of the die.
A quick ejecting motion seems to take care of that. :D
Another trick that can help is only apply pressure on the lube feed once every other or after three bullets
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!