OT - Winter Storm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - Winter Storm

Post by deerwhacker444 »

It's FREAKIN Cold here. This is pretty far South for this Crud..! Those of you in the storm path, this one has some punch.

Actual Temps right now...7 Degrees where I'm at..@ 11:00 A.M....this is Crazy...!

We've had 35-45 mph winds in the last hr.

Along with the blowing snow,..does this qualify as a Blizzard.?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Winter Storm

Post by Nath »

Not nice :(

Take care!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

We shut down work at 10:00 am today. I'm home now and planning on being here for at least a couple days. We have around 7" of snow since it started here about 7:00 this morning! It's going to be a bad one. Everyone be careful.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

It's gone around us so far. We've only gotten some light sleet. Most of the IL govt and many companies shut down though. My wife is still out delivering Pizza while they can. Once or if the big snow hits us she'll get a snow day.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Why is that worty of comment? We call that weather, 'Indian Summer" wherer I live.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

:D And where would that be?????
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mouthpiece wrote:Why is that worty of comment? We call that weather, 'Indian Summer" wherer I live.
Even though I can get about in it, none of my neighbors can and so it becomes a big deal. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Snow chains are a GOOD thing. Just about 17" outside my front door, it's hard to measure with the wind blowing 50 mph. Never thought I would be looking forward to our high humidity summers here in the Indian Territories. :D
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

We're finally getting it. Coming down pretty good. Very low visibility too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

-46 with the windchill here today. Wish it was 7.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

mouthpiece wrote:Why is that worty of comment? We call that weather, 'Indian Summer" wherer I live.
Wow! Only thing I can say is "better you than me" :D -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

I just looked on the front porch it's 19 degrees we got about 1/2 inch of sleet at 7am today an that's all I don't want anymore
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Well boys...... its about 80° here in central Florida....and sunny... :D
we might get some rain tomorrow

hope you guys cut enough firewood
Stay warm....I am :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Yes -- this Okie weather officially stinks

Thermostat on 72 and the heat in the house barely reaches 50 === lots of blankets and a couple of good books.

I know a -21 wind chill is old hat for some of our members who live in more northern climes, but Oklahoma is not one of those states. Usually we get 1/2" of snow on the ground and the schools are let out and we start decorating ditches statewide with vehicles :lol: :shock:

But with 2 cases of beer, 2 fifths of bourbon and about 10 pounds of Tri-tip, i'll probably manage
----- Doug
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I up in OK City this week working at Tinker AFB, dang it is cold and windy. It turned out we were the only ones in the building we're working in. Lots of snow for around here, we're getting hit back home in Texas but it's not as bad as here.
Ricky

DWWC
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Huntermb wrote:-46 with the windchill here today. Wish it was 7.
With that kind of windchill it don't really matter what direction yer pointing when you relieve yourself...it all turns to cubes before it can splatter ya. When we were kids we would throw cups of water in the air and catch the ice ball as it fell.

We are expecting another foot or two of snow by tomorrow, that ought to refresh the three feet or so in my yard...love it when the dogs can sneak up on me by burrowing under the snow. Unfortunately I will not be able to enjoy it for long, gotta head for Key West right after the Super Bowl for our annual business get together. Maybe I'll ship in a truck load or two of snow so's I can feel at home!
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

We will likely match that wind chill here in Kansas tonight and tomorrow, one big storm. Work has been shut down for two days counting tomorrow, I have never seen that in 27 years.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

We're supposed to get a 1/2" of ice tonight and a couple inches of snow on top of that tomorrow.

Big fun in a two wheele drive Ranger! :D
Hoping we get a rare day off. Got in this mornig and no power. However the generators were on and the
computers were on. Ugh!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Oklahoma got all our snow from here in Kansas thanks to a 40MPH north wind here all day. Near to total white out conditions all day, with wind chills here around -25. BTW where is that global warming anyway?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Never thought I'd get a chance to use my chains here in Dallas.

Not surprisingly, they make a big difference.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep just got home talk about a fun 22 mile drive. It was all fine and good till I pulled in to our long winding drive :shock: Snow chains don"t make much difference when the under side of your car is dragging on snow drifts. I am so glad this is our last winter up here.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I slept in today and never left the house except to shovel off the back stoop so the dogs could go out. There wasn't anything at the office that needed doin' that bad.
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Suffered the last six hours without power. Just came back up. We had a 1/2 inch of ice and supposed to add another inch, so I hope to keep power for a while more. TG for generators.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Mother Natures not happy is she fella's. I truely have no concept of how you folks handle your winters or storms like this

regards Jacko
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Jacko I know you all have been hit hard lately also just goes to show we are all in this together.

I am taking a break from shoveling right now been at it since 7:30 this AM and haven't even made a dent we got about 6" last night and with the wind I have 12" drifts in my drive from the house 200 yards down to the street. Any of you all have a snow plow that you want to lend me. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

It's snowing here too. It was 6 degrees when I got up a few hours ago. Up to 18 now. We deal with storms like this every winter here, as some other posters in some other States do. Snow's one thing-and we can kid you folks in normally warmer places about this storm. But ice is something else again, and no joke, anywhere. It's a good day to stay off the roads. Old Time Hunter, when you were kids why didn't you swing at those ice balls with baseball bats? That's what we used to do. During recess. They never closed school for storms like this where I lived. There were 3 teachers and a janitor. One of those teachers had an old pointy Studebaker, and drove quite a few miles in. That period of time was about the last time I remember people using chains like FWWiedener mentioned, on a regular basis. The school kids all walked--no bus for grade school kids in the 1950's in my VT town. Cheer up, you global warming folks. Your God ol' Al is comfortable--sipping a drink in his easy chair while watching his big screen TV, as his castle is warmed to a comfortable temperature, thanks to his carbon credits!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I don't miss the ice storms in Oklahoma. Remember them well. We only got 3" of snow and its -5 this morning. Y'all are taking our winter weather here in Colorado. Send it back!!!! :evil:

You know, all of you in the Sooner State, the bad weather is all my mother-in-laws fault. She called last Friday gloating about the "70 degrees here and warm, how is your weather?". It was 38 outside then. Told the wife to call her Mom back and tell her I was going to send snow down there because of that comment. So, blame it on her!!! :lol:
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

This a.m. we have 6" of snow over a layer of frozen rain. Still getting snow as this is written. Small flakes, but coming down pretty steadily. Temp is 10.8 degrees and overcast skies. Expecting a high of no more that 14 degrees today. Windchill is at -9. Power is still on and we're thankful for that. We suffered through 10 days without it exactly two years ago this date. That's tough with an all electric home and only one wood stove we used for heat, cooking and heating water. Wife got a little impatient before that was over. :roll:

Our livestock aren't moving very much since this settled in. Have 30 pregnant does and need them to at least get out and get their bellies full of hay. They did come out for a short time to the feed troughs yesterday p.m., but they should get hay eaten for digestion and the subsequent warmth that provides. None have made it out of the loafing barns this morning and very little yesterday. The only upside to that is I haven't had to get out too many times to break ice out their water troughs and/or haul water down to them. Looking forward to getting back to normal, chores and all. This is supposed to hang in here with temps below freezing until mid-day Friday. Bummer, but that's stock farming in these parts.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, global warming is here in Oklahoma. 12" of snow and the temp is 9degrees with a wind chill of -16. I breed schnauzers(have 7) and had to bring all the dogs into the garage as their kennel is not heated and the garage is. Once inside they did not want to back out even to do their nature calls, I had to pick them up and set them outside. I have not seen it this bad here since 1966. It is supposed to be -3 in the morning. God Bless and stay warm.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Old Time Hunter, when you were kids why didn't you swing at those ice balls with baseball bats?
Frozen bats were too hard to hold on to with ice encrustd knit mittens.
They never closed school for storms like this where I lived
Here neither, the principal and his wife, who was the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade teacher (all in the same room) lived across the road. The pastor, who also taught 6th and 7th grade, lived next to the church just across the field from the school. His wife, taught 1st and 2nd grade while their daughter taught kindergarten. If you made it to the 8th grade, ya got the principal...I was on a first name basis by then!

We ended up with 19" of snow on top of the 6" we got the night before last. It is very pretty, took me four hours to knock down the two 8' drifts across my driveway. One of our cars were completely hidden under the drift..really, really cool. When I catch up with the plow driver, he will be fortunate to only end up with optical rectal inversion from me kicking his butt so hard he'll be looking out of it with a poopy outlook on life! Plows a twelve foot berm across my access road when there is a field across the road... :evil: :evil: :evil:
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Old Time Hunter wrote:
Old Time Hunter, when you were kids why didn't you swing at those ice balls with baseball bats?
Frozen bats were too hard to hold on to with ice encrustd knit mittens.
That's why we put our mittens and gloves on the steam radiators after we came to school, and after recesses. They'd be dry and warm by the time the next recess or lunch time came around.

They never closed school for storms like this where I lived
Here neither, the principal and his wife, who was the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade teacher (all in the same room) lived across the road. The pastor, who also taught 6th and 7th grade, lived next to the church just across the field from the school. His wife, taught 1st and 2nd grade while their daughter taught kindergarten. If you made it to the 8th grade, ya got the principal...I was on a first name basis by then!
We had a similar setup in our 3 room school. 1st and 2nd grade; 3d, 4th, and 5th; 6th, 7th, and 8th. The principal taught the highest 3 grades and coached basketball and baseball. Basketball was in the town hall--our school had no gym. The town hall was heated by a big wood furnace which was in the cellar. One big grate in the floor that the heat came up through. That grate was our home court advantage.
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Some of you talk about them not closing the schools back in the day. I remember that too. Back in the '60's when I was a kid they never turned out school because of a little snow. However things have changed. With school consolodation all of the little country schools have closed and the children are bussed to the larger centeral school. Where I live now, here in Oklahoma, the school district has the largest area in the state to bus children. Therefore when a few flakes fly the superintendent cancels school! I'm not so sure we didn't have it right years ago. Smaller schools, smaller classes, better education. Administrators that actually taught class. So much of school budgets go to administrators today. Superintendents, principals, assistant principals, secretaries for all and the list goes on and on. None of those dollars actually go to teaching our children. Well I've said too much so "rant off". :D
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, Mr Gore, more global warming has arrived in Oklahoma. 5" more of snow yesterday and this morning it was -5 a record cold for this date. Also in Nowata, Oklahoma(north of Tulsa) it was -31(air temp-not wind chill) which is an all time cold temp recorded anywhere in Oklahoma. Anyone have Gore's E-mail address?
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is just ugly!!! :shock: