Cowboy LeverAction Silhouette

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Cowboy LeverAction Silhouette

Post by Griff »

I finally found where to ask and how to get information on upcoming matches for Cowboy LeverAction Silhouette matches, including rifle (CRA) & pistol caliber(PC), some include rimfire also (SCR). Found 3 places within a 100 miles of me... if only I could be home so often! :twisted:

Had to do screen prints to translate the data, but... according to the NRA here's the appropriate page... interesting to note that only AL & PA have State Championships...

Somehow the information for Bishop, CA got cut off, but, if you're interested, contact me and I'll send you the details and contact info.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cowboy LeverAction Silhouette

Post by Rube Burrows »

Interesting. Where did you find the info? I have never done any of that shooting. Is there a place to find the rules and guidelines?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

On the NRA website you can sign up for electronic version of the Shooting Sports USA magazine and it's listed in the back. The NRA website also contains rules and such for the game.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nothing in IL, IN, or MO. That sucks :x

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I think that would be and absolute hoot to get into.
Was really thinking to go to Raton and shoot the Nationals this year along with the bpcr nationals but they've got those so early in July this year there's no way I can make it.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

More state championships will be printed in "Shooting Sports" as the season progresses. At least that's the way it has been over the years. Most clubs are only beginning to set up their schedules for the year so future issues will include more monthly matches too.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Keep in mind those are only the NRA Approved matches that get posted on that site. Many clubs have club matches that dont get advertised outside the local area, for instance here in Yuma we shoot twice a week in addition to the matches you see there on the site. Check the clubs in your area, might be something there you dont know about.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

One of those sites is not that far off, but I don't have a pistol caliber or rimfire lever.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've shot both the pistol caliber and rimfire with Wind and one pistol caliber with Wind and Whispurzon. But, the range is 100+ miles away, one way. Makes for a long day. Now, to Wind's credit he's offered his place to sleep the night before so I wouldn't be getting up at like 0430 and making the drive. I've just never taken him up on the offer.

It's a lot of fun, but you better have your sight/dope settings because it's all shot offhand and even though it's only out to 100 yds. let me tell you it makes a difference. Fun, fun, fun. :D
Old Law Dawg
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

You dont even need to go to a match to enjoy this sport. You can download the target templates from the NRA website and make you some paper target stencils out of 1/8 masonite, get some black spray paint and some butcher paper and you're in business. OR, if you want to get fancy, get some scraps of 3/8 steel, cut out your silhouettes and make up some swinger targets.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

swingers are ok but it's great when they fall over.

There are companies that make and sell targets, our local silhouette club buys them from somewhere. I think Mac1 airguns sells sets of tiny ones for airgun use and they're quite reasonable.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

I was not aware of Cowboy Leveraction Silhouette. I have a number of rifles to compete in every catagory. All I need to do now is locate some matches in north centeral Oklahoma or Southern Kansas. Thanks for the info.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, braggin rights again for Pennsylvania residents.--Like gunshows, we can attend a silhouette match every weekend (except dead of winter for silhouette) and the most we would have to travel is about 100 miles---most within 50.

It is a blast and in addition to the State Champs, we also have regionals several times a year. Some clubs have "King of the Mountain" matches so there's always something going on.-----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

Our club (Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club { http://www.hcrpclub.org}) will host around 52 NRA sanctioned matches plus 10 or so club matches this year. We are located in north-eastern California. We shoot all three disciplines. I enjoy it because it is easy enough to do well in and hard to master. It is a skill type competition and not an equipment race
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

We have some type of silhouette match almost every weekend.
http://www.tcgc.org/cgi-bin/calendar.pl
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I'm curious to ask, when using cartridges like .25-20, .32-20 and .357 magnum on the pistol caliber targets, is there a velocity limitation to prevent target damage? High speed loads could flatten trajectory, but I can see how they might eat up targets. If there is a practical limitation on velocity/bullet weight, I'd sure appreciate hearing about them. Have been wanting to attend one of these matches, but the nearest is over 100 miles from here. Would like to have my gear/ammo in order before I make that long trip.

Thanks!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I can only tell you what I know. I haven't read any rules. I believe lead is the only bullet allowed (no gas checks) and no known limits on velocity. The cartridge is the limitation, that being pistol. Now the gas checks I'm not totally certain of. Someone will chime in. Weren't the NRA rules listed in a previous post?
Old Law Dawg
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

John in MS,

There is no velocity limit at NRA levergun matches. However, if your bullets are damaging targets, you will be told to change ammunition. Non-NRA matches such as where I shoot at the Golden Gun Club east of Denver, have a velocity limit (1100 fps) for the pistol cartridge matches as well as a lead bullet requirement. At the 200 meter match, jacketed bullets are fine, and, once again, as long as your bullets don't damage targets, you're OK.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

kimwcook,

Jacketed bullets and gas checks are permitted by NRA rules, if as I mentioned in my previous post, they do not damage targets.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Various clubs may have their own rules on this based on how easy it is to crater their targets. If the targets are properly constructed out of AR plate, there is no problem.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Here are the NRA Silhouette Rifle rules. This is for all rifle disciplines from high power to air rifle.

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/ ... r-book.pdf

Scroll down to 3.1.3 for the rules pertaining to Cowboy Lever Action.

John is MS

It doesn't take much to knock down the pistol cartridge targets. A HV 22 will take everything but the rams. I use a fairly light load for my 32-20 and haven't rung a ram in several years.

EDIT. I see Don beat me to the link.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well there it is. Thanks guys.
Old Law Dawg
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

We do an M1 Carbine match using pistol caliber targets and a "CAST BULLET" Military bolt match using the big bore targets. A .308 or 30-06 will not hurt the big bore targets if it is lead bullet.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nice to see that they finally included the "Griff" rule in BPCR:
3.12 Clothing -
(c) In Black Powder Cartridge Rifle competition only, period costumes are permitted.
Back in '91, I was not allowed to wear my gunbelt, sixgun nor my cartridge belt... even tho' they were clearly part of my period costume. I was wearin' spurs, chaps, suspenders, vest and a hat...
By the time this was taken, it'd gotten quite warmish that year! Cool in the mornings, hence the longjohns, but by late afternoon I think it'd climbed into the 80's and I'd shed the wool vest! Pictures were by the artist they'd hired to make the New Mexico trophy... still amused that a Montanan had asked a Texan to model for the New Mexico trophy! I need to practice up and make a repeat appearance!

Actually, one other competitor had worn a period costume that year... I think it was Steve Garbe and he wore buckskins... but had shed the buckskin jacket by mid-day.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hey, Griff,

You cut quite a figure in that outfit! Very nice.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Cimarron Red wrote:Hey, Griff,
You cut quite a figure in that outfit! Very nice.
Har! The suprising part is I can still fit into it, musta been a lil' big on me back then! :P :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Nice pic of you. :D Thats a mighty fine "form" you have developed. Whats the rifle?--------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Griff,
Nice pic of you. :D Thats a mighty fine "form" you have developed. Whats the rifle?--------Sixgun
Shiloh 1874 Sharps, Long Range Express w/30" barrel in .40-90SBN. A wee bit more power than needed for BPCRS, but... hey, a fun shooter!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

J Miller wrote:Nothing in IL, IN, or MO. That sucks :x

Joe
That range in Knox IN where we had our shoot does (did?) informal CLAS...

Unfortunately their webpage is down. It was called SAM Silhouette Club out of Valparaiso.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!