Hornady 150 gr rn and unique

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bulldog87
Levergunner

Hornady 150 gr rn and unique

Post by Bulldog87 »

Anyone have a good recipe for it?
Hobie

Re: Hornady 150 gr rn and unique

Post by Hobie »

In what cartridge and what firearm?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bulldog87
Levergunner

Post by Bulldog87 »

Sorry! 150grn rn in 30-30 marlin! :oops:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Not with Unique. Some might have a load, but I don't. I use 34.5grs of Win 748 with 150gr jacketed bullets.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

AA5744, IMR-4759 & Alliant RL 7 is the best 30-30 powders I have found for lead bullet loading use.

If you want a Toad load, Unique is you powder.

AA5744 is my favorite. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

J Miller wrote: I use 34.5grs of Win 748 with 150gr jacketed bullets.

Joe

+1
Bulldog87
Levergunner

Post by Bulldog87 »

Definately looking for a light load for plinking. Does someone's recipe for 150gr cast apply or does the plated bullet need its own? Can you use the csst bullet recipe as a starting point? Thanks to all, BD87
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

For a plinking lead load, Try cowboy load Data.
Hodgdon & Alliant have Cowboy loads plublished in their loading data. AA also.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Bulldog87 wrote:Definately looking for a light load for plinking. Does someone's recipe for 150gr cast apply or does the plated bullet need its own? Can you use the csst bullet recipe as a starting point? Thanks to all, BD87
Plated? Who makes a plated .30 150 gr. bullet? You don't mean jacketed, do you? I don't like to use too light a load with jacketed as they are likely to stick in the bore. That isn't dangerous (unless you aren't paying attention) but it is a royal pain.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Hobie wrote:
Bulldog87 wrote:Definately looking for a light load for plinking. Does someone's recipe for 150gr cast apply or does the plated bullet need its own? Can you use the csst bullet recipe as a starting point? Thanks to all, BD87
Plated? Who makes a plated .30 150 gr. bullet? You don't mean jacketed, do you? I don't like to use too light a load with jacketed as they are likely to stick in the bore. That isn't dangerous (unless you aren't paying attention) but it is a royal pain.
+1 Do not use jacketed for light plinking loads. For real light loads use cast lead and consider Trail Boss. Unique will work, but Trail Boss will do a better job of filling the case with a light load.

On the other hand if you are just looking for "milder" for caliber loads stick to published minimum loads from one of the reloading manuals. JMHO
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

another vote for AA5744 with cast bullets."if" they are just plated bullets use cast data.
DAV life member.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Bulldog87
Levergunner

Post by Bulldog87 »

Ray wrote:
Hobie wrote:

Berry's makes a good one. Bulldog, use a published unique charge meant for a cast bullet with the berry plated bullet but like Hobie warns, might not be a good idea with a conventional jacketed bullet.
My mistake. I bought Hornady 150 gr RN #3035 and picked up the Unique because I have seen so many examples of recipes with 170gn speer and the like. I figured there was some recipe that would accomodate that bullet with Unique powder and it was the only bullets I could find locally.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ray wrote:
Hobie wrote:

Berry's makes a good one. Bulldog, use a published unique charge meant for a cast bullet with the berry plated bullet but like Hobie warns, might not be a good idea with a conventional jacketed bullet.
Thanks Ray, I didn't know that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Bulldog87 wrote:
Ray wrote:
Hobie wrote:

My mistake. I bought Hornady 150 gr RN #3035 and picked up the Unique because I have seen so many examples of recipes with 170gn Speer and the like. I figured there was some recipe that would accommodate that bullet with Unique powder and it was the only bullets I could find locally.
Ok. Those are good bullets, just not ideal for your immediate purpose. I suggest that you save those for later. I suggest that you mail order some .309-.310" bullets from a maker like Montana Bullet Works, the Lee C309-113-F would be a good one. You can use the Unique with that. You should be fine with 6.5-7.5 gr. for about 1400 fps.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Scharms
Levergunner

Post by Scharms »

Bulldog87,
Are you after the famous Red Dot recipe "The Load?"

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly" -Michel de Montaigne
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Bulldog87,
I have used 8 grs. of Unique with a 110 gr jacketed bullet in the 30-30 which gives close to 1,500 f.p.s. with very good accuracy. Using the same powder charge with a 150 gr. jacketed bullet, the velocity would be somewhere around 1,250 - 1,300 f.p.s. or so which should work aok.

I would not use less than 8 grs. DO NOT exceed 10 grs. (max.)

Have fun!

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Bulldog87
Levergunner

Post by Bulldog87 »

w30wcf wrote:Bulldog87,
I have used 8 grs. of Unique with a 110 gr jacketed bullet in the 30-30 which gives close to 1,500 f.p.s. with very good accuracy. Using the same powder charge with a 150 gr. jacketed bullet, the velocity would be somewhere around 1,250 - 1,300 f.p.s. or so which should work aok.

I would not use less than 8 grs. DO NOT exceed 10 grs. (max.)

Have fun!

w30wcf
Perfect. That is what I was hoping for. Thanks, W30wcf
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

For 'bout 5 decades I've used 9grs Unique and a 150 cast. Never jacketed. Faster velocities with cast, less bore wear, cheaper and just all around better than jacketed at slow(er) velocities.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Bulldog87
Levergunner

Post by Bulldog87 »

2X22 wrote:For 'bout 5 decades I've used 9grs Unique and a 150 cast. Never jacketed. Faster velocities with cast, less bore wear, cheaper and just all around better than jacketed at slow(er) velocities.

2x22

My next purchase will be of some cheap cast bullits but I didn't have access to any at the time I purchased the jacketed. Have any suggestions for online retailer for cast? I only want a few hundred considering the freight might be cost prohibitive(?).
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Bulldog87 wrote:
2X22 wrote:For 'bout 5 decades I've used 9grs Unique and a 150 cast. Never jacketed. Faster velocities with cast, less bore wear, cheaper and just all around better than jacketed at slow(er) velocities.

2x22

My next purchase will be of some cheap cast bullits but I didn't have access to any at the time I purchased the jacketed. Have any suggestions for online retailer for cast? I only want a few hundred considering the freight might be cost prohibitive(?).
Bulldog, you'll get what you pay for if you just go for "cheap". A cast bullet can be very good--but it has to fit the barrel of the gun you're using, as others have said. Griff made a lot of good comments earlier , as have others. There are several makers of good cast rifle bullets out there, but I'd say, in general, beware of those who don't give you a choice of diameters for the weight that you want. As has been said before, I'd stay away from bevel based bullets for rifle use, too. While it hasn't been mentioned yet (I don't think) if you are loading for rifle calibers, you'll need an extra die, such as the Lyman M die, to flare the case mouth a bit prior to seating.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

I have used unique for years in my rifles. I load 10 grains and what ever bullets I have on hand. There was an article 20-30 years ago I read in a magazine mentioning the value of unique powder and it's use in every cartridge. Several years later I found a reprint of part of it that outlined using it in 30-06 for light loads.

I have gone as low a 3-5 grains, but bullets begin sticking at that point and they are a tremedous head ache and very dangerous if you shoot another bullet with a stuc bullet. I concur with the 8 grain minimun suggestion. you won't be disappointed with the performance of unique.