OT - Stranded motorist needs help. Ideas?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Stranded motorist needs help. Ideas?

Post by Tycer »

I'll start this by saying I'm not easily snookered and I'm not possessed to help panhandlers. However, as Nancy and I drove past two today outside the Lowes/Walmart parking lot I could not help but notice that they were out of place. I drove down the road a spell but turned around to ask them what was up. It turns out that this guy and his wive were on their way from TX to VA and popped a radiator hose in mountains and tried to make it to the next exit locking up the engine. The tow company towed them to Walmart where they spent last night and will again tonight. The tow company owner has a car he'll sell them for $600 and give them $100 for their Taurus. They've made $200 in two days and added to the $150 they've got after the tow and radiator hose they are still pretty short.

Legit so far so I gave them all the cash I had which is $6. I might be able to scratch another bit of money up, but I'm really tight now myself.

I'd like to help more, but all the local ministries are closed until Monday and I've not heard back from my preacher.

It's going to be in the 40s tonight and they are in a car with a dog so they are not in any immediate danger I can see.

Any ideas?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Stranded motorist needs help. Ideas?

Post by Old Ironsights »

#1 ask the name & # of the tow company.

If legit, they will come forward. If legit, the Tow guy will tell you the same story.

If legit, I'd help how I could by giving THE TOW GUY what I could to get them back on the road.

But that's just how *I* would handle it (beyond buying them a meal/making sure they had a bed anyway).
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

Bring them home, sounds legit to me.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats a tough one! Have they actually tried to start the engine again? It may run, if so another hose and antifreeze,,,,

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Can we get enough of us here to Paypal the funds to Tycer to get them what they need? I'd chip in 20 bucks.
NRA Life Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

TedH wrote:Can we get enough of us here to Paypal the funds to Tycer to get them what they need? I'd chip in 20 bucks.
I would too, assuming my comments above...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Yeah, PM me if you move forward and I will Paypal you some $'s Tycer.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Same here. Let us know.

"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."
Last edited by Chas. on Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm in after they've been vetted. Let us know.
Old Law Dawg
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

+1 I'm in after they've been vetted. Let us know.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

+1
Old Ironsights wrote:#1 ask the name & # of the tow company.
If legit, they will come forward. If legit, the Tow guy will tell you the same story.
I'm skeptical. Far too many con artists with complicated stories... check it out first.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Know absolutely nothing about facts in this situation. I have however had many complaints when a LEO about identical-sounding scams & twice made arrests for same. Incidentally, this is the time of year similar scams are successful and thus most prevalent.

Good luck.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

IME, 9 out of 10 of those stories are BS. But, it's that one that is legit that overrides all the others. For example, once I stopped in at an overnight convenience store in Arizona. This guy was panhandling there and telling me he hadn't eaten in days. I got back in my car...stopped a second and carved him off about a pound of some summer sausage I had in the car and pulled a sleeve of ritz crackers I had for snacks. Walked back to him and handed him the food. He hovered over it like someone might take it from him, thanking me profusely all the time and looking around to make sure no one was going to steal it from him. I think it was mostly devoured by the time I pulled away. That one instance has made all the times I've fallen for the schemes and BS artists worth the chance.

I would NEVER though invite any stranger into my home where they could do potential harm to my family, no matter what the story was. It's much better to rent them a cheap motel for the night to keep warm and buy them a pizza and have it delivered.

Ed
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Kansas Ed wrote:...
I would NEVER though invite any stranger into my home where they could do potential harm to my family, no matter what the story was. It's much better to rent them a cheap motel for the night to keep warm and buy them a pizza and have it delivered.

Ed
+1

I have, on occasion, offered a full meal at a diner for a hard case that "felt right".

The profuse thanks are worth it.

Those who are scamming will usually decline...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Call the LEO. They are set up to deal with this kind of thing and check it out too.
"That'll Be The Day"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Call me cynical but we have a "family" of pros working an interstate interchange. You see the same guys out there all the time. And yes, I do know how easily such things can happen. I'd have called the police, they would have arranged for shelter, the newspaper would have publicized their plight, etc.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

You know, sometimes you just have to give from the heart and trust God and your gut instinct. If the people are truely in need as long as any money donated is going on food, lodging, or transportation so be it.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I'm skeptical I get hard luck stories like this all the at truck stops. I usually offer to buy them food tho if they look me in the eye while they are telling the story. Last nite I fed a guy some summer sausage and cheese and 1 of my last 2 venison sticks. He had them gone in about 5 steps. Got about 50 feet away and came back and wished me a Happy New Year.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Tycer , Your Heart is in the right place. Do what God leads U to do and He will take care of the rest. Sometimes the test isn't for the other Person, It is for Us.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I spoke to the tow truck driver and it all sounds legit. He's the go to guy for the state/county in that area and was dispatched by the state troopers (a trooper actually bought their radiator hose and antifreeze). He's also the impound lot for the county and has a perfect vehicle for these folks. He also feels that these folks are legit. He deals with a lot of scum and still thinks these folks might be worthy. They are dirt poor to begin with and not having a ride has em in a further bind. He says their engine is definitely locked up.

HOWEVER, I'm still not 100% that they are worthy of our funds. They don't seem to be vagrants, but I will further investigate their employment and housing claims. I will also not be responsible for setting them out on the road in a new car without insurance or proper documentation. If they aren't willing to jump through the hoops required to responsibly operate a motor vehicle no dice, $6 is it. For now, they're safe and sound in the Walmart parking lot.

I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Cool. Thanks for the update!
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Not to long ago, a couple from Utah with a Dodge pickup and camper pulling a trailer with a new 4wheeler had trouble on the road. One of the local garages ended up with them in his shop and was fixing their vehicle for cheap. During the course of the thing he got the old "we're so broke" story, and in the end bought that new atv for 10k cash. They were so thankful and helped with fixing everything up and cleaning his tools and putting them away.
Next morning he shows up at the shop, goes inside , his new atv, his tool box, parts and a cash box from the office were gone...
Apparently the "poor" folk had slipped the lock on a window in the back. Later that night they came back put the kid thru the window, he opened the door they loaded everything they could grab , hooked onto the atv trailer and dissappeared into the night.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I could give a small amount. I'll be watching this thread and will get it out if you give us the go ahead Tycer.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

You guys do what you want, but it sounds like a standard "I need money to get to ____." scam to me. I have personally heard it many times in Raleigh and Durham in the past 15 years. Hopefully my inclination is wrong, as I have also been stranded with disabled cars; but fortunately never overnight. Sometimes in these situations I have been helped by strangers who provided a ride, a phone call, or their handiwork, but never their money because I would not ask it.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well if it were me and they were/are still there I would make extra food today and take them some. If they are real stuck the would appreiciate it and I would of contributed to their well being, it not all about money sometimes.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

horsesoldier03 wrote:You know, sometimes you just have to give from the heart and trust God and your gut instinct. If the people are truely in need as long as any money donated is going on food, lodging, or transportation so be it.
I've done that and been right and been "wrong" but not yet been sorry. However, if it is a concern, there's usually a reason.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Keep us posted.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright