1886 in "The Edge"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

1886 in "The Edge"

Post by Gary7 »

I watched "The Edge" tonight with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. I saw this years ago and never noticed that the rifle they found in the abandoned hunting cabin was an 1886 in 45-70.
JimT
Shootist

Re: 1886 in "The Edge"

Post by JimT »

That was why I watched it. I barely noticed the bear .. or the girl ... :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Wish I could find an abandoned cabin like that. :shock:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I dont know this movie. I will have to check it out.
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gary7 »

Here's some snapshots from the film:

Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Dad burn it, now I'm gona have to finde a copy of it to watch! :D
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

What girl???
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

That was why I watched it. I barely noticed the bear .. or the girl ... :lol:
... Yeah me too :wink:

Watched SeaBiscuit last night... There was a brief scene in which an 86 was trying to be used to destroy a horse...Love most of them Depression era type movies...Got a laugh at the commentator saying "At the time America needed a drink the most it was illegal"..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gary7 »

rjohns94 wrote:What girl???
Anthony Hopkins' ol' lady:

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Elle Mcpherson.

I just watched it about a month ago. It's one of my favorite movies, mostly for the aerial views of the Alaskan mountains.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I believe that the '86 in that movie was a .45-90, IIRC.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gary7 »

Mike D. wrote:I believe that the '86 in that movie was a .45-90, IIRC.
These look like 45-70s to me:

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Alec Baldwin is a leftist flake with an ego the size of Montana. I won't watch anything he's in. The thing doesn't deserve to touch a 1886! :evil:
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

Somebody beat me to the punch. I was going to say:

That may look like a .45-70, but it also looks like Alec Baldwin successfully loading/firing it, so there are no limits to Hollywood magic.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

great movie!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Well, I agree with Mike D. I think they are 45-90s. I load and shoot both. Just my not so humble opinion.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Take a close look at the relation of the case length to the bullet. I stand by my determination that the cartridges are not .45-70s.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gary7 »

I still think they are 45-70 based on the length of the cartridge in relation to Baldwin's thumb and fingers.

I'm getting this in Blu-Ray, so maybe in hi-def I'll be able to read the head stamp on the cartridges.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In the first pic, they look like 45-90's and the other pics they look like 45-70's. My vote goes for the 45-70. Either way, there's way too much shine on them to be the 75+ years old as they are in the two part box. The rifle looks like it just came out a nice gunsafe. No rust, no pits---all Hollywood lies.

The movie was good though--especially when the liberal dies and Hopkin's old lady see's the engraved watch. Pig--she deserves it

Funny how the black guy was expendable early on and gets eaten by the bear--then the bear gets sick and throws him up :D ------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

game keeper wrote:Wish I could find an abandoned cabin like that. :shock:
Years ago a friend of mine who was out deer hunting near Silver City, found an abandoned old miner's shack that the roof and two of the walls had collapsed in on. He managed to crawl underneath it and found an old rifle leaning against one of the partially standing walls. Of course, the rifle was pretty much a relic from the rain and snow that had leaked in on it for who knows how long. Not an 1886 Winchester, but still a neat old gun --- a Colt Lightning in 44-40. He sold it to me for $50.00. I went out scouring that area after that and found lots of rusty cans and pots and pans, and dozens of old whiskey bottles out in the Junipers and Sage Brush, but nothing very valuable. Of course some of those whisky bottles would probably sell well on ebay today because the bottle glass had air bubbles in it and no seams in the mouths where the cork stoppers went. Wish I would have saved some.

BTW, while in the military 35 years ago, I was assigned to the German-French border area and loved to hike amoung the blown up concrete bunkers and pill-boxes along the Seigfried Line. Found a number of small relics from WWII like 50 cal brass, bayonets and belt buckles. One day in the woods fairly near Bitsch, France, I found a U.S. M-1 carbine stuck barrel-first in the ground along side a big old tree. The stock wood had mostly rotted off and the bottom 10 inches or so of the barrel was rusted and pitted so bad that a couple of pits actually went through the barrel and into the bore of the carbine. Brought that relic home and researched it. Turns out it is a fairly rare Rock-ola contract rifle. Kind of neat to find stuff like that out in obscure places.
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gary7 »

My Blu-Ray of "The Edge" arrived today from Amazon.com. I popped it in and went directly to this frame:

On the cartridge sticking out of the box that Baldwin's index finger is touching (not the one he is removing from the box) the headstamp clearly reads "W-W" and "45-70 GOVT." I can't make out the headstamp on the one he's removing from the box.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Alec Baldwin is a leftist flake with an ego the size of Montana. I won't watch anything he's in.
Explained that to my girlfriend when she wanted to rent one of his movies last year - told her to knock her lights out but I wouldn't watch it.
He promised (threatened) he was going to leave the country if GW was re-elected, but he lied...
he is a supporter of PETA and calls himself "an outspoken proponent of gun control"
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

I love that movie it and death hunt just about make up for all the stuff we have to watch today! I have a 1894 but it
only fires one at time(trapdoor)! Johnson County Wars also has some fine firearms in it!

Bob