Lipsey Blackhawk 44 Spec question....... A shot in the dark

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Lipsey Blackhawk 44 Spec question....... A shot in the dark

Post by Bullard4075 »

Has anyone tried to put Pachmayr grips on this gun.
Which model number did you use?
I have tried what I believe is the right model number (RB #03137) and they don't
fit worth beans.
Just which grip is correct escapes me even after reading
www.gunblast.com/Ruger-44flattop.htm and
www.gunblast.com/hamm_Ruger-SA-Gripframes.htm
I believe the Pachmayr site http://www.pachmayr.com/revolver-grip-details.php
lists the same grip (#03137) as the correct one.
Any opinions?
The factory grips are too small for my hands and the recoil becomes uncomfortable
with heavier (44 Spec) loads.
If I could get the proper grips this could be my perfect gun.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lipsey Blackhawk 44 Spec question....... A shot in the dark

Post by olyinaz »

Can't help you with the correct Pachmayer model but I will say that I bought a set of ebony grips for my Ruger made by a fellow called Private Shultz over on eBay. They're smoother and a bit beefier and I find that they fill my hand better and feel much better than the fake hard rubber grips my Ruger came with.

For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/553-Grips-Ruger-New ... 1648wt_905

This type of grip might help in your case also (althought I don't think this particular grip will fit your Ruger): http://cgi.ebay.com/Walnut-Hunter-Grips ... 746wt_1139

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I felt the bile rise in my throat...

Ruger's grips are really thin. They don't bother me but I can see how they might be too small. Just about any maker can create a grip that is fatter and fits your hand better. Otherwise, if you insist on the Pachmayr solution contact the company. I think the pass through for the grip screw is in a different location on the new XR3 frame and the grips that fit the OLD XR3 frame probably won't work.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

olyinaz wrote:Can't help you with the correct Pachmayer model but I will say that I bought a set of ebony grips for my Ruger made by a fellow called Private Shultz over on eBay. They're smoother and a bit beefier and I find that they fill my hand better and feel much better than the fake hard rubber grips my Ruger came with.

For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/553-Grips-Ruger-New ... 1648wt_905

This type of grip might help in your case also (althought I don't think this particular grip will fit your Ruger): http://cgi.ebay.com/Walnut-Hunter-Grips ... 746wt_1139

Cheers,
Oly
+1 to what Oly (and Hobie) said. Carl "Pvt" Schultz makes some mighty nice grips for the smaller XR3 gripframe as well as other models. He and some other fine Ruger gripmakers hang out quite a bit over at Ruger Forum. I also got a noce set of elks from Sack Peterson (ditto can be found on ebay and RF) that fill out the hand quite nicely on my New Vaquero "Montado." Give them a try before you settle on some big rubber grips!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"I felt the bile rise in my throat..."

Hobie I wish you would not be so obtuse.

OK,Ok I get the jab.

1. The small factory grips subtract from my enjoyment shooting this fine weapon.
2. I don't have the time and money at the moment to find and buy the grips worthy of this gun.
3. These grips were available and cheap.
4. These grips will do until I find better.
5. I believe function comes before form.

But I do thank you for your opinions.
Honest.
Merry Christmas to all of you my dear friends.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bullard4075,

From reading over on The Ruger Forum I don't believe Pachmayr makes a set of rubber baby buggy bumpers for the new XR3 grip on the Flattop 44s.

But, I'm gonna join this pass it on giving this Christmas.
I have a set of absolutely gorgeous CLC Custom grips for your gun that I will give you free of charge if you want them. They are Gold Stabilized Spaulted Maple - Tru Oil Finish
According to Cary Chapman they are a bit thicker than the standard cheese grater grips and they sure look better.

Go here: http://www.clccustomgrips.com/
Then to the column of green buttons on the left side and click on the one that says: "New Vaquero, 50th 357, 50th 44 Mag"
Then scroll down to grip set #443.
That is the set I'm offering to you.
CLC grips outside.JPG
CLC grips inside.JPG
PM me your mailing address if you want them.

Merry Christmas .

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Why Joe, what a generous offer!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Rereading this post I realized I never replied to Joe publicly for his offer.
Joe and I have been PMing back and forth.
I am humbled by the gentlemen on this forum.

I am reviewing what I have so that I can "Pay it forward" if I understand the
concept correctly.
Bullard
Jeff Cooper
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bullard,

The grips went in the mail Monday. Looking forward to seeing what they look like on your purty new Ruger.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Do they make Pachmeyers for Colt SA ? Mine hurt like the dickens when I shot it,almost to the point of being uncomfortable. The Ivorys look nice but way too small for My hands.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

pwl44m wrote:Do they make Pachmeyers for Colt SA ? Mine hurt like the dickens when I shot it,almost to the point of being uncomfortable. The Ivorys look nice but way too small for My hands.
Pachmayres on a Colt SAA ........... :o :cry: (Hobie we need a barf icon here!)

Short answer: I have no idea.

Long answer: you will defeat the design of the grips if you put rubber grips on a single action. They are designed to rotate in the hand and the rubber interferes with and sometimes prevents this.
You'd be better off going to a custom grip maker and having a thicker set of wood or micarta or stag grips made for it that would better fit your hand.

I do not have big hands, but they virtually swallow the grips on a normal SA.
Here's some pics:
CLC yellowed AM Holly grips 12-23-06a_cropped.JPG
High grip.JPG
Pinky under grip.JPG
IJ Closeup.JPG
The last pic is of me (in the pink shirt) shooting full 40grs black powder loads through the Cattleman. You can see how it's rolling back even when using both hands. That is how it's supposed to work.
Rubber grips would have prevented that. They also tend to stick to the skin and will abrade it worse than the cheese grater grips Ruger puts on their new guns.
Joe shooting BP from IJ.JPG

JMHO based on lots of shooting.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"The last pic is of me (in the pink shirt) shooting full 40grs black powder loads through the Cattleman. "

I'm not sayin nothin. :lol: :lol:
Jeff Cooper
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

You make heap big smoke Joe. I understand the concept fully but that doesn't alter the fact that it Hurt like the Dickens. My hand must be a lot bigger because no way can I get three fingers on the grip. I was just almost about halfway kidding about Pachmayers on My Colt. Besides mine r one piece grips and I dont want to damage any screws removing them.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Just want to say "well done Joe". :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hillbillygunsmith
Levergunner

Post by Hillbillygunsmith »

Concerning your question about using Pachmayr rubber grips on the Lipsey Ruger blackhawk 44 spec. The grips that Pachmayr has listed for the Blackhawk flattop will not work on the newer Blackhawk with the internal safety in the grip. The screw hole is too far back and hits the hammer mainspring with the grip screw.

What you have to get is the Pachmayr rubber grips made for the Colt single action as it has the screw hole in the center of the grip. Pachmayr has the box marked with model CSA. Now for the bad news, Pachmayr quit making the CSA grips a while back, but you can find them quite often on E Bay. I got my last set for about 12 bucks new in the box.

They are not a perfect fit, will have a very small gap, about 20 thousands between the front of the grip where it meets the metal grip frame. So darn small you may not even notice it.

I know several on here will want to tar and feather me for putting on a set of Pachmayr rubber grips on a Ruger Blackhawk. The problem is I have very large hands, size 14 ring finger, and I tried other grips and still had a knuckle buster on firing my heavy hunting load. That load is a Keith 255 gr. SWC at almost 1175 FPS. The Pachmayrs cured that problem and also gave good control on a fast followup shot. 8)
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"so I mus task, you got something against guys that wear pink? "

Friendly humor between friends, nothing more. :D
Jeff Cooper
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Just got the grips in the mail.
Awesome.
Beautiful without being gaudy.
Fills my hand nicely.
Soon as it quits snowing, it's to the range.
Jeff Cooper
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Nice looking Grips for sure. and the price was right. Looke like they should fill Your hands a little better. Let us know how they work out.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bullard4075 wrote:Just got the grips in the mail.
Awesome.
Beautiful without being gaudy.
Fills my hand nicely.
Soon as it quits snowing, it's to the range.
There ya go. Those look right at home there. I can see that Ruger smile from here :D :D :D

Joe
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looking very nice. Professor, outstanding.
Old Law Dawg
grass range
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grass range »

Rubber is ugly. Those are good-looking. Thanks for the address of the maker