Why are single-action revolvers still so popular?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Why are single-action revolvers still so popular?

Post by Triggernosis »

Not trying to start a war, just wondering what I'm missing....other than cowboys and tradition.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Why are single-action revolvers still so popular?

Post by dkmlever »

1. They fit some peoples hands better than a DA
2. If used for hunting most pistol hunters shoot SA any way on an animal
3. Because we grew up watching Roy and all the others!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The One-handed POWER offered by a Super-Blackhawk or similar gun is awesome. Somehow the DA ones don't feel the same, perhaps due to the way they recoil or the different trigger pulls, etc.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They are cool!!!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

dkmlever wrote:1. They fit some peoples hands better than a DA
2. If used for hunting most pistol hunters shoot SA any way on an animal
3. Because we grew up watching Roy and all the others!
I think that hand fit IS the number 1 reason. I know that in the shop we'll sell 10-15 semi-autos to every DA revolver and 7-8 DA revolvers for every SA revolver. BUT! (and it IS a big "but") we have a number of fanatical SA users (not gamers, users) and a number of folks who quickly tire of what they thought they'd like who get a Single-Six. CAS is a tired horse around here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Well, would a Ruger Redhawk have a different "feel" or fit to it than, say, a Blackhawk?
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

as awp101's tagline reads: While the SAA is no longer a first line defensive handgun, a light powerful revolver that points like the finger of God cannot be discounted.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rugged elegance.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

All of the above, I'm thinking. At one time, I shot a LOT of handgun silhouette with .44 magnum revolvers. I could shoot a 40 round match with my 10" Ruger single action and it would not bother me a bit. I tried shooting my buddys Smith 29 once, first 10-round string had skin torn off my palm, never again.

Besides, they're cool. :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Triggernosis wrote:Well, would a Ruger Redhawk have a different "feel" or fit to it than, say, a Blackhawk?
In a word, yes.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Triggernosis wrote:Well, would a Ruger Redhawk have a different "feel" or fit to it than, say, a Blackhawk?
Absolutely. Their only similarity is they are both revolvers.

Not all cowboys carried and used single action revolvers.
Not every one that carried and used single action revolvers were cowboys.

The single action revolver is a good, simple, strong, durable machine. It has fewer parts than a double action does, and those parts it does have are generally more robust and stronger.

The single action does fit my hand better than a double action and is more comfortable to shoot. The only other hand gun that's as comfortable to shoot is the Colt 1911a1 design. Wait ... that's a single action too, isn't it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

big time difference to me....
Super redhawk is much more comfortable to shoot than the Blackhawk
both are awesome guns....wish I still had a blackhawk...
but I prefer Smith and Wessons with houge grips...
grips and balance is everything to me!

As far as single actions popularity....
most of us here grew up watching westerns...and still watch them.... especially me!
They are just plain cool...historic...and simple....
Theres nothing like a colt single action, or clone, with a 5 1/2" barrel....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

How does that old saying go?

"If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand it" :D Or something along those lines.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

They're popular for roughly the same reasons leverguns are still popular
----- Doug
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Most gun people own a number of guns for different purpose`s. A handgun hunter will choose a single action ruger or freedom arms over a smith 29 as he can load hotter and as said, doesnt need or even shoot DA anyway. Then there are use collectors that love the old historical guns and movies. The cowboy sass etc, where they are required. In my case my first good handgun was a ruger single six and I might have shot that gun more than all my many DA`s since put together. I dont think many of us looking to seriously buy a gun for self defense is going to choose a SA over a DA or auto, but it CAN do the job! Most people interested in handguns probley have more DA`s, however there usualy is also some reason there to also own a few SA`s.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Tradition, Power, reliability and strength. From the Civil War, they were thought to behave in a more reliable fashion than their double action counterparts(though obviously the DA's came along nicely). Today it's still the same four reasons that people buy them.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Interesting comments. So, which one should be my first one?
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Triggernosis wrote:Interesting comments. So, which one should be my first one?
Purpose?? Hunting? Plinking? CAS? Collecting?

Caliber?

Can't go wrong with a Ruger BlackHawk -- best price-performer, durable, adjustable sights, transfer bar so you can load six, etc. Others include Freedom Arms, Colt, Rossi, et al.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Plinking mainly...possibly whitetail deer hunting if'n the mood strikes me.
Caliber? I dunno. I'm kinda tired of .357 Mag, so maybe .45 Colt.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I like them both and like them all. But there is the history and tradition also, and those cowboy shows.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Triggernosis wrote:Interesting comments. So, which one should be my first one?
Triggernosis wrote:Caliber? I dunno. I'm kinda tired of .357 Mag, so maybe .45 Colt.
Now I'm confused. Do you have a .357 Mag long gun?
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

My hands are older than I am and frequently don't work well enough to operate the slide on a semi auto pistol. Same thing concerning the double action on a DA revolver. Recently, I moved to all single action revolvers and and very happy about my decision. I even use them exclusively for concealed carry (still looking for a suitable holster) and defensive work.

I can place six rounds from a stock 4 5/8" Blackhawk inside a six inch circle at 30 feet in less than 3 seconds. I realize that is not outstanding performance but I am betting my life on it. If I happen to need more than six rounds I might be toast but the huge majority of gun fights involving civilians require far fewer that six shots.

Evertime I pick up a handgun in my house it operates exactly like every other handgin I own.

Besides that, I just like single action revolvers. I like the way they look and feel. I appreciate the power level they can withstand if a person wants to hot rod them.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Chas. wrote:Now I'm confused. Do you have a .357 Mag long gun?
Not any more. Still have a .357 Mag. snub revolver, though I don't carry it any more. Prefer my 3" Model 37 Airweight instead.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Two hanguns fit me like a glove. Both colts. An old .45 auto and a peacemaker. Fit is underrated. I shoot firearms better that Fit me as apposed to accuraccy and Ballistics. MOST important is the guns gotta go bang EVERY time.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Single actions are popular after all this time because they are just as good as they ever were. For sporting uses most people shoot single action and a gun like a Super Blackhawk is a pocket rifle.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Absolutely.

Try both before you decide, because both are awesome, but they are as different as an apple and an orange.

The SA's are supposedly stronger (and there is some truth to that), but I'd fire a 'hot' .44 Mag load in my Redhawk before my Super Blackhawk, due to the cylinder wall thickness. On the other hand, if I want a gun that just LOOKS cool and powerful, I'd get a S&W DA .44 Mag - nothing else comes close, even though those are 'fragile' relative to the Rugers. Yet if you want arguably the strongest .44 Mag, you'd skip past the Super Blackhawk, skip the Redhawk, and get a Freedom Arms single-action.

Bottom line - both are awesome, but very different. The only "must" for me would be if I were to pick a CCW revolver it would almost always be a DA, not so much for 'fast followup shots' (likely I hope to need NO shots at all), but if injured, shooting left-handed, or having to hold someone 'in place' with a gun pointed at them, I'd rather have a DA, for both my safety, and actually, theirs.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

They would always have been around but I think Ruger did more for the SA than anyone .putting millions of Blackhawks in shooters hands that are very strong and super reliable to My way of thinking really swayed alot of minds.I know it did Mine. I'll never forget My Friend bringing His Blackhawk .45 here about 30 years ago. He left without it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Because they work, they are simple in design, they hold their value, they are liked by anyone who knows guns, they are easy to shoot and maintain, and ....................drum roll please...they are objects of beauty. :D

Ain't mine--belongs to my pal, Tom. Or it DID belong to Tom. I believe he sold it----------Sixgun --------- John Adams master engraved, one piece ivories, solid gold medallions, full blue, and screwless frame, 44-40
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

I hope you don't mind me jumping in so late in the game.

I got my Heritage Rough Rider .22 single action so I could practice shooting affordably. (My first gun is a colt police positive in .38 short colt.) I was brand new to gun ownership and shooting and knew I needed something to make it fun to make the transition from gun phobic to responsible gun owner. (Extreme anti-gun mother and inner-city living)

There was one unforseen side effect though. I enjoy my .22 single action so much that it became the main handgun I shot at the range. I bought different centerfire handguns through out the next few years but always went back to the single action revolver. The way it feels and the operation became second nature to me. Even when my kids brought their revolvers over I'd automaticly start shooting single action style.

I bought a Heritage Big Bore single action in. 357 magnum to use as my house gun and for range work. I am very pleased with it.

Then I read Sherrif Jim Wilson's article on "one gun" where he picked a double action revolver as his choice. Well, I had to try one more time for a good "all around gun". You know, just in case I ever decided to carry concealed. So I bought a used Smith and Wesson model 64 revolver in .38 special and hated it the moment I took it to the range. :lol:

I couldn't hit anything with it! My hands were just to small for the Houge grips on it and it felt strange to "choke up" on it instead of holding low as on the plow handle grips. (Similar to the grip angle arguments between Glocks and XDs in a way.)

So after trying multiple times, I had a long, realistic talk with myself. I figured I will probably not need a CCW permit anytime soon, and that I'd much rather have a slow-to-reload gun that I can shoot accurately than a fast reloading gun that I miss the barn with.

And that's why I now happily own a single action revolver and a Marlin lever gun both chambered in .357 magnum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

What everyone else said, plus, they're so cool.

Sixgun, that's a beautiful SAA. One day I'd like to have one engraved, nickled and one piece ivories. I need an outstanding BBQ gun. :D
Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I carry and like SA revolvers. I guess is similar to lever guns, theres some things that simply havent been improved on over time. For a simple, reliable, accurate gun in medium to heavy calibers, in a package that is compact and easy to carry, the SA just works. I find them to be far more comfortable for shooting any heavy loads than any DA revolver. Same basic thing can be said for autos, and bolts, but for the bulk, weight, and caliber, a lever is very hard to beat for a general purpose gun. Even as a protection gun, either can be very effective tools for someone familiar with them.

I agree with the comment someone else made, having something you shoot very well is more important than how fast it reloads, and that alone makes reloading less likely. I've shot a number of different steel plate shoots with both an SA Ruger with full power 45 Colt loads, and a 1911. I've always shot the SA revolver better, and accurately faster than the 1911. I've have had a far better reliabilty record with a revolver than any auto I've owned, and am far more impressed with the terminal peformance of loads capable in the revolver than ball ammo in the 45 auto when shooting game animals. Perhaps hollow points in the 45 auto would change the equation some, but all in all, what an auto offers over an SA as a general purpose gun including defense just doesnt impress me that much. Which makes more sense? YMMV of course, that's just my thoughts.

I have and use, and like DA revolvers, but the question was SA revolvers.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Triggernosis wrote:Plinking mainly...possibly whitetail deer hunting if'n the mood strikes me.

.45 Colt is really only an option if you reload --- even the "Cowboy Action" fluffer loads are expensive if you buy retail. But if you reload, i like the .45 colt more than a lot of others as you can truly go from mild to wild with your loads depending on the specs of your firearm and what it will take
----- Doug
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Because they're awesome :D . As far as the feel of a Redhawk vs. a Blackhawk, yes they do feel different, but are both comfortable in my opinion. The Redhawk is my favorite full size DA revolver, but I still like the balance and feel of the Blackhawk better. You can check out my thread about my new Redhawk and compare the look of both the Redhawk and Blackhawk as well as the Bisley grip frame. All comfortable to me, but all different.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Streetstar wrote:
Triggernosis wrote:Plinking mainly...possibly whitetail deer hunting if'n the mood strikes me.

.45 Colt is really only an option if you reload --- even the "Cowboy Action" fluffer loads are expensive if you buy retail. But if you reload, i like the .45 colt more than a lot of others as you can truly go from mild to wild with your loads depending on the specs of your firearm and what it will take
+1

But in a Ruger the old .45 comes to life when hand loaded.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, for me it's because of Roy, Hoppie, Gene, Audie, etc. I think you get the idea. Let's me relive my childhood, but with more noise. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

jeepnik wrote:Well, for me it's because of Roy, Hoppie, Gene, Audie, etc. I think you get the idea. Let's me relive my childhood, but with more noise. :mrgreen:
Ya left out the Duke! :wink: Seriously the fact that I love single actions is my childhood hero's. The fact that they're functional is just gravy.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I do not like the trigger pull of DA's, especially for longer range accuracy. I've started to practice offhand shooting with my Colt SAA at 50 yards. I can put most of my shots into a 8 1/2" x 11" paper at 50 yards shooting with one hand, but with my friend's Colt 1878 DA, forget it. I also had a modern 45 ACP S&W DA and got rid of it .... hated the trigger. Now I have a modern Springfield 1911 'Loaded' that I really like. Like Malamute, however, I find it easier to shoot accurately with my original Colt SAA than my modern 1911. Last week, I had both at the range. With the Colt SAA, it was hard to miss, but with the 1911, I had to work hard to even begin to get the accuracy I could get with the Colt SAA. As for drawing from a holster and firing, the Colt SAA is way faster for me than the 1911 if I have to rack the slide. The only way to get the same speed is to be cocked with the safety on for the 1911. Still, close range with multiple targets, I'd take the 1911 for sure, but for accuracy and getting that first shot on target, the Colt SAA is for me.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I like single actions fine but a double action feels better in my hand & I usually shoot one better, in single action. I'v been practicing double action but doubt I'll ever feel good enough to hunt that way. My Red Hawk makes whacking bowling pins at 50 yards an easy fun task with either a dose of Trail boss under a 240 cast or a dose of 2400 under a 240 jacketed bullet. I can scare the bejeebers out of a pin with my Vaquero but often only get one or two hits out of ten shots. I'm not convinced that better sights wont help but really feel its an ergonomic thing. I have a GP100 too & I can just pick it up & shoot things in a natural way that so far I cant do with a single action.

I'v heard several times that single actions are stronger, is that a generalization? I always thought Ruger doubles were stronger than most single actions.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

recent muddleheaded issue illustrates why this mature (not old yet) shooter picks a SA. Did some hand loads for .40S&W using alox as lube, and forgot to wipe off the nose before attempting to use. While I could put the slide in battery with my thumbs, I was mad at myself for such oversight. In the SA, they just go boom if there's a good primer under the pin. No worries about stand off either--SA's will fire touching skin if needed.

rimrock
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Single actions ??? Is there any other kind???

I just like em! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TravisM wrote:And that's why I now happily own a single action revolver and a Marlin lever gun both chambered in .357 magnum.
You've got all the bases covered right there, if you get right down to it. Game as big as whitetail or as small as squirrels, barnyard varmints and 2-leg predators, paper bullseyes and pop-cans. And yes, even CCW if needed.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Women like them - my wife saw the 44 Special Ruger Flat Top (current model) sitting on the dining room table and said "that is very attractive" and she meant it! :)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Beauty, function, simplicity, history, power... I could go on for ever! :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Old Savage wrote:Women like them - my wife saw the 44 Special Ruger Flat Top (current model) sitting on the dining room table and said "that is very attractive" and she meant it! :)
If I had one with pearl grips my wife might say something like "that pearl is pretty" or if it was small she might think it's cute. But, other than that I don't think my wife would say it's attractive as a general statement.
Old Law Dawg
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

As the generations progress i think we'll see a ressurgence of intrest in the da revolver eventually. The medium frame blued 38 governed this country longer than the old west ever was. Right now such guns arent even being made. That coupled with the fact you can get a new SA ruger or uberti for 500$ is why sa's are so popular imho. When was the last time you saw a brand new classic american DA revolver sitting on the dealers shelf?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

There are around 90,000 SASS shooters who own a pair of them. Some of us have a lot more.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Did I mention ----THEY ARE COOL!!!!!

No matter which way you cut it I still need to buy three or four more single actions beyond the two I have to pick up. And then - re evaluate.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Fred,

Evaluating single action revolvers is a life long research project. I intend to take mine to the grave with me. I ain't leavin 'em to nobody. :mrgreen:
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

On the serious side :roll: , my love of single actions started when I was about 5 years old or so. It was my non handgun owning fathers fault. He, mom and I went to the outdoor theater in Farmington, NM and watched a John Wayne movie.
That would have been about 1957 or so and the movie was of course a first run. So John Wayne was my first mentor for the SAA. That does not make it nostalgia exactly but something about it really got my attention.

When I finally reached the legal age to buy handguns my very first gun was a Colt Peacemaker .22 Convertible. That was nearly 40 years ago and I haven't been without at least one single action for very long since.
I've used them for everything you can use a revolver for and found they work just as good as DA revolvers.
Currently I have four. This number is of course subject to change at a moments notice without warning.

OH, I didn't answer the OP question.
For me the SA is popular because it feels good in my hand. Is comfortable to shoot, pleasing to look at, simple to maintain, durable (far more so than my DA revolvers), and just fun to use.
And I like the click, click, clack, click they make when you cycle the action.

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The Gub-mint gave me my first single action a little over 40 years ago. I ain't seen a need to progress. Oh wait, you're asking about REVOLVERS!

Back to what I said before: Rugged Elegance. The rest of you guys are motor-mouths!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!