Marlin lever swap?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Marlin lever swap?

Post by Malamute »

Does anyone have experience swapping the lever in a Marlin 336? I'm wondering if it takes any fitting. I have a straight grip in 30-30 with the rounded lever, I like the looks of the squared lever quite a lot more on the Marlins. I'm thinking of buying a new lever, or offering to swap if someone wanted a rounded one and had a squared one to trade. If it requires fitting just buying a new one is probably simplest unless a swap was face to face and we could be sure both worked alright.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Eli Chaps
Levergunner

Re: Marlin lever swap?

Post by Eli Chaps »

They should swap without issue.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Is your 30-30 stainless or blued?
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Blue

I don't know if there's any difference in the various calibers used in the 336/1895 actions. That was part of my question as well I guess. I know the rim of the shells interact with the lever, but I don't know if caliber/rim size matters.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Marlin's web-site has their manuals in PDF format.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/customers ... anuals.asp
I looked at the 1894 manual, and noticed that there are different lever part numbers for some of the different models, and that Marlin listed the lever as restricted to gunsmiths, so there must be some fitting issues.
Mark :?
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The 1894's may be different between various calibers, I don't know.

Brownells list the levers in their catalog of factory parts.

Eli Chaps
Levergunner

Post by Eli Chaps »

markinalpine wrote:Marlin's web-site has their manuals in PDF format.
I looked at the 1894 manual, and noticed that there are different lever part numbers for some of the different models, and that Marlin listed the lever as restricted to gunsmiths, so there must be some fitting issues.
To my knowledge, the 1894 levers will not interchange with 336's. Could well be wrong on that though.

The restriction to smiths only is more likely a supply and demand issue. Remington is having a hard time putting parts in the hands of smiths let alone the general consumer.

The 1895 has a large section cut out to allow for loading of the much bigger cartridges. I believe you can put an 1895 lever in a 336 but not vice versa. My 1895's are all SG and my 336's PG so I can't give it a test run for you.
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Eli Chaps wrote:
markinalpine wrote:Marlin's web-site has their manuals in PDF format.
To my knowledge, the 1894 levers will not interchange with 336's. Could well be wrong on that though.

The restriction to smiths only is more likely a supply and demand issue. Remington is having a hard time putting parts in the hands of smiths let alone the general consumer.

The 1895 has a large section cut out to allow for loading of the much bigger cartridges. I believe you can put an 1895 lever in a 336 but not vice versa. My 1895's are all SG and my 336's PG so I can't give it a test run for you.
I looked at the 1894 manual because I've already downloaded it for my own use. I don't really know what particular variety of 336 the OP has.
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I know 1894 levers wont work in a 336, I was just commenting that the different calibers in the 1894's may require different levers from other 1894 calibers. I don't know if the 336's/444/1895's etc, all of which are the same basic action, require different levers for the different calibers.

If Brownells actually have 336 straight grip levers in stock, maybe I should just order one. I guess I could sell the rounded one after getting the squared one in it.