how can I get some data from a serial # for a Browning 1886?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
seasidehunter
Levergunner

how can I get some data from a serial # for a Browning 1886?

Post by seasidehunter »

is there a website that tells me when a gun was made based on the serial #?

I think there are only two production runs anyway - but its a Browning 1886 45-70, 1 0f 3000 production.

thanks
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: how can I get some data from a serial # for a Browning 1886?

Post by gak »

Check back for any accuracy edit/check on this link but I think it's http://www.armscollectors.com . Try it out.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is their site for that sort of thing but the 1886 is not listed. It comes under the customer service dept. You might call at 800 333 3288.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice ... /index.asp
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The exact variation may be of help in somone being able to date the gun. They made several versions. 26" octagon rifle, in standard and high grade, a 22" round barrel carbine, in standard and high grades, a Montana version with 26" octogon barrel, and a National Forest version, tho I may be mistaken regarding the Montana and Forest Service guns being different guns. I never owned one of those and have only seen a couple of them many years ago.

The numbers of the various versions varied, I believe the production of standard rifles and carbines was about 7000 each.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

seasidehunter wrote:is there a website that tells me when a gun was made based on the serial #?

I think there are only two production runs anyway - but its a Browning 1886 45-70, 1 0f 3000 production.

thanks
I have the "For Collectors Only" North Cape book for the 1886 that lists serial numbers by the year - 1886 - 1922. If you are willing to post your serial number, I can probably tell you the year it was made.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

Seasidehunter, That 1 of 3,000 doesn't happen to be made for Wincester, by Miruku of Japan does it? It could also be the Miruku made Browning model too.

Markings on the barrel should confirm if it is a Winchester originol. Good Luck