Cold weather BLR problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Cold weather BLR problem

Post by Bigahh »

Guys, To make a long story short my BLR in 308 failed me on a 140 class Buck last Saturday. I fired all 4 shells i had in it, and all went click. Firing pin hit, but too small a dent to go off. I let the gun warm up later, and all 4 shells then fired. I set the gun outside for 3 hours, and the same thing happened. Can this be an OIL issue? I cleaned it the best I could without taking it apart. I do not want to attempt to take it completely apart, and do not think i should have to. I plan on contacting browning asking them for advice, but do any of you BLR guys have suggestions? It was 19 degrees, not bitter cold, but fairly cold none the less. By the way it worked out fine. He showed the next day when I had the Marlin 336 in my hands!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cold weather BLR problem

Post by COSteve »

Most likely you have a dirty, gummed up, or too oily firing pin channel. The colt weather increases the viscosity of the dirt, gunk, or oil inhibiting the free travel of the firing pin. Keep your firing pin channel clean and free of any lubrication!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Use some brake cleaner or carb cleaner and spray it down the firing pin hole flushing out the old oil and grease. Then use compressed air to blow it out. Repeat as much as you think is needed. I then spray some thin oil like Rem Oil into the firing pin hole then blow it out with air.
Ricky

DWWC
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Steve and Ricky, I will give this a try. I use a cotton swab with Hoppe's 9 on it in the whole area, but not right in the Firing Pin Hole. I will try anything as i love the Gun. Thanks for the suggestions.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I think COSteve and Ricky hit the nail smack dab on the head.
Old Law Dawg
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

all my guns are winterized by cleaning with gun scrubber blowing with air then using a aerosol with Teflon in it it sprays in wet then dries. oil will jell every time so will wet/liquid graphite. danny
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is a maintainer issue not a firearms issue. IOW, you let yourself down on that. Don't let it get you down. Many of us have had that experience at some time or another.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

In the winter the majority of my guns are oil free and I use dry graphite to lubricate it.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I had a similar experience with a bolt gun getting light primer hits and a newer lever gun with the same problem. In both cases, a heavy dose of Gun Scrubber solved the problem. Good luck, and nice deer!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I agree with the responses given so far, but there could be one more culprit. You could have the same problem with the mainspring and related tube/parts. Not likely - but a slim possibility. You have to remove the butt stock to get access to the mainspring tube. Do not try to dissassemble it (tube and parts), but you can clean and oil it in the same manner already stated. If you do remove the stock, I recommend you oil the inside of the stock with a good wood oil while you have it off. Same for the forearm.

Here is a link to the MGW site that shows a parts diagram for a standard BLR 81.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant ... Schm_1.jpg
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Bigahh, don't let brake or carb cleaner get on your stock. I believe Browning uses an epoxy finish and the cleaner will make a mess of it. Even if it isn't epoxy, it'll tear it up.
Old Law Dawg
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Thanks Guys, I will try and get my Favorite rifle Wisconsin Weather Ready!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I had a customer tell me the same thing happens with his . Mine has never failed me. I told him to do the same thing as these gentlemen have said. Seeing many deer on your side of the state? Opening day wasn't bad not much after that.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I'm not a Gunsmith but it sounds sticky to Me.
You said " It was 19 degrees, not bitter cold " Buddy,that is bitter cold in My neck of the woods. Although We did have a 25 degree night 3 days ago. Hope U get it solved, Nothin worse than a Click on a Big Buck.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

BigSky56 wrote:all my guns are winterized by cleaning with gun scrubber blowing with air then using a aerosol with Teflon in it it sprays in wet then dries. oil will jell every time so will wet/liquid graphite. danny
I had exactly the same problem with a BLR new out of the box, so it had nothing to do with my maintenance or lack of!
Used the same solution as BigSky56's and never had a problem since :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

+ 1 on all of the above. Congrats on the venison!! Enjoy!!

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
farmer44mag
Levergunner

Post by farmer44mag »

I had a few misfires with mine when new- but in my case there wasnt even a hit on the primer most of the time. Havn't had any trouble for years now. For about 5 years now i have been lubing my firing pin holes with break free clp when putting them up for extended periods. have never had a problem with this gelling or gunking up- in fact it gets rid of all gunk on my guns. I don't use it on my glocks though as no lube is needed with them for corrosion purposes.