OT 1952 Ford F-6 truck help needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

OT 1952 Ford F-6 truck help needed

Post by moodyholler »

OK, I am constantly amazed at the wealth of info available on this forum So here goes. I have a 1952 Ford dump truck, and I want to put it back on the road. The brakes are truly poor on it and I want to upgrade to dics all the way around. Has anyone seen this done? I know the street rod guys are doing it, but how about on a larger truck? I don't want to put a newer wider front axle under it so looking for ideas. Front and back if possible. Thanks and hope I am not steeping on any rules. moodyholler
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT 1952 Ford F-6 truck help needed

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Off hand I can't think of any spindles that you could adapt to your axle which has kingpins, changing out the front axle and probably related suspension would be the way to go though you might have to cut the frame at the firewall and splice in the front of the doner vehicle frame. The rear has full floaters and while you might find a way to attach a disc to them you would be up against it trying to put calliper mounting brackets on your housing. Put a later rear axle with larger and better drum brakes under the truck.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ummm, how about a pic or two of the 52 Ford F6???

As for the breaks, I'd take the existing shoes if they're in good shape and have them re-lined with the highest quality linings you can get. I did that with the 27 Chevy I worked over and it worked great.

That's just my opinion of course.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I'm gonna give you "my opinion". Most of those old trucks used a vacuum brake booster(boosted hydraulic brakes) that doesn't work right anymore, that is darn near impossible to get parts for, darn tough to work on, is a real pain to retrofit(newer version you CAN find parts for) and really pricey no matter what your choice. It's hard to even find people that will work on them anymore, they are such a pain to get right and such a liability headache. The hydraulic part is pretty easy but that booster gets a hick-up and you suddenly don't have any brakes. That's why you don't see many of these old trucks still being used or restored. It's something of a dying art getting them to work right, so few bother, they just junk the truck.

If it were mine and I really wanted to get it back on the road, I'd convert to air brakes. You can get used airbrake axles, tank, brake pedal controller and engine air pump for less than cost of the parts/labor to restore/fix the booster system. Admittedly, a lot of work but then you'd have good brakes, parts are available, pretty easy to work on and not that bad for price. Wouldn't be discs but good brakes none the less. To be honest, even with all new parts, the old boosted brake systems, even on their best days, they ain't very good.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I agree with Buffboy. But... if you're thinking of converting to power steering, stick with hydraulic and use a hydraulic booster ala newer 1 ton trucks.

PICS, dern ya... you KNOW we want pics! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Yep, like everybody else I reckon this thread should be junked by the moderators for not having pics added :P

I actually drove an old Ford F700 truck before I drove a car.

Have you spoken to a Ford truck service center to see whether maybe they can upgrade your old one with new Ford truck axles and power brakes.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

As always, the boys (and girls!) on Leverguns come through with
timely and well thought out advice no matter how arcane the subject.

This is really an amazing forum, as are the people on it.

-Stretch
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

As always, the boys (and girls!) on Leverguns come through with
timely and well thought out advice no matter how arcane the subject.

This is really an amazing forum, as are the people on it.

-Stretch
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Buffboy knows of what he speaks! You don't say what you will be doing with this truck. Just a restoration for the truck shows or are you going to use it to haul with? I have an old 1923 MACK AB that I restored several years ago. It is strictly a show truck. It has mechanical brakes, meaning the only thing between your foot and the brakes is some rods and linkages. Oh yeah, it is on "solid" tires so you really get the feel for the road :lol: You may want to contact the American Truck Historical Socitey about your conversion. Good luck.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

OK, newer axles are too wide. So I want to keep the stock appearance. I want run Alcoa bud wheels. I will use it mainly for maintenance of my driveway and I know I can hire someone to do it cheaper. The only pics I have are from its working days. No current pics for a while. Driveline will be modern fuelie motor with computer and a 5 speed NV4500. I thank everone for thier help. moodyholler
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Axles too wide? I'm pretty sure the frame dimensions have been standard on large trucks since the early 40s. The F-6 is a neat old truck if I'm thinking about the right one but it was full sized so I'm surprised that modern axles won't work.

Scratch that, I'm thinking about the wrong truck. I googled & found a picture, you're right, that the truck is more like a modern 1 1/2 ton in size. It may not even have the boosted brakes. Still gonna be a challenge to get modern brakes on it with your power up option. You might try some racers forums, some of the Halibrand(sp?) quick change rear ends are based on truck rear ends in about that size. You might find a disk conversion from one of those that would bolt to your axles. You might also see if more modern 1.5 ton truck axles will work.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

:o check this out for an interesting F-6

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/feat ... to_02.html
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Narrowing a Frod rear end is not expensive. Holler at Industrial Chassis http://www.industrialchassisinc.com
They built a weld-in front crossmember that took Dodge Dakota donor parts for my '49 Chevy and a bolt-in brake pedal/booster/master cylinder set-up. Absolutely flawless. Went from solid front kingpin axle to full half-ton IFS, rack/pinion steering with a big fat sway bar and disk/drum power brakes.

Perhaps they could make you one from a donor vehicle of appropriate size.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My daily (almost) driver is a '49 Chevy 3100 pu. It has an 86 pu front end with discs and power steering. Rear axle is from a 96 Caprice cop car so discs there too with posi-trac (or whatever chevy called it). I would find a burned or wrecked Dodge one ton and use the independent front end and rear axle from it and you would have the hydraboost power for the brakes. I've seen this done and it was great. That Cummins engine would be nice too. Cummins belongs to Ford now so I don't see a problem there.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Just a thought... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

Cool truck but be hard to haul much gravel in that box!!!!!!! MH
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

Disc brakes can be fitted to nearly any kind of axle with the proper conversion kit. Guys building big 4x4s running huge tires run heavy duty axles converted to disc brakes all the time. I don't know enough to tell you if disc brakes are a better choice or not than modern drum brakes on a heavy vehicle.

If you'd like to look into installing a hydro-boost system using modern components, check out this link for parts-
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056
I am American