8mm Mauser sucess !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

8mm Mauser sucess !

Post by bcraig »

ImageImageImage
I shot this small (150 pound)buck with my 98 Mauser and PRVI 196 grain softpoint ammo.Range was 125 yards and the deer ran 150 yards after the shot.Deer was almost broadside when I lined up on him but whirled right as i broke the shot so I hit him at a facing angle right behind the shoulder and it wrecked on lung and exited right in front of the hind quarter.Entrance was about 1 1/2 and exit about 2.5 inches. I think the velocity is about 2200 FPS.
Anyone else use the 8mm Mauser for hunting! I am interested in ammo Performance etc.Thanks,Craig
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 8mm Mauser sucess !

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Congrats !! Nice animal, enjoy!

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

They could have stopped making ammo (for most big game hunting) after they had the 7 and 8mm Mauser rounds. What CAN'T you do with them? 8) I wish I had another 93 Argintine :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

well done. enjoy and thanks for the post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good ole 8mm M, we don't here much of it over here, probably to much of a bad taste in England still :wink:

200grns @ 2200fps is not to be laughed at.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I love the 8mm in US loadings because it's so mild but there's some pretty strong stuff available from European manufacturers if you want a bit flatter trajectory.

Most of my K98s are Norwegians in .30-06 and they pound the snot outta me! Congrats - sounds like you had a great time with your 98.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Thanks guys I appreciate the comments and I am glad to share what information I have.
I do have a can of H4895 and some Speer 170 grain bullets along with some Sierra 150 grainers but because of my work have not had time to work up too many loads or even work up the brass. I am purty pleased with the performance of the PRVI factory loads and think that with the shot placement and the fact that i only got one lung that probably nothing esle would have done much better.I do have a pleminary load of 47 grains of H4895 behind the Sierra 150 for about 2600 FPS I would think that would give me a little flatter trajectory BUT it is the middle of deer season and I think I would rather use my PTO from work to be hunting rather than load development ! IF I luck up and get another deer I will let yall know the details.Btw the PRVI load is between 1.75 and 2 inches high at 100 and about 3 inches low at 200 and bout 10 inches low at 250 and i think that will do !
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

bcraig wrote: Anyone else use the 8mm Mauser for hunting! I am interested in ammo Performance etc.Thanks,Craig
I love the 8x57, its a shame the history of the round though. I shot a 3 point whitetail last year, I was using 170gr Rem over AA2520, I don't remember the load off the top of my head. I shot it about 40 yards out, one shot, through the shoulder, then nicked the heart. It ran about 30 yards.

Saturday starts season here, I not sure if I'm going to use the 8x57 or 6.5x55, this year.

Steve
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice shot!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

196 gr norma sp drt.this one came charging out of the brush right at me.
DAV life member.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Well done! 8)

I hunted with an 8mm a few years when I was a kid. It never let me down, but it was stolen out of my folks garage. :evil:
NRA Life Member
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

it goes to prove there ain't nuthin' wrong with the 8mm Mauser...

i have the '93 oviedo, Spanish model in 7mm and won't part with it.

congratulations...nice animal
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Thanks for the input guys and txpete looks like the old 8mm Mauser saved your bacon ! Pun intended !
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I am still working on my yugo 8/57mm should finish in a year or so lol.
But that Privi 198gr ammo does almost 2600 fps out of my 23.5'' barrel 2580 average good too hear it works well on game.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I have a sporterized Yugo M48 that is a delight to hunt with.I take the Turkish light ball(146 grain bullet) milsurp ammo and pull the full metal jacket bullet and replace it with a 150 grain soft point.Works great.Turkish ammo is loaded HOT!!!Most Turkish ammo I have was loaded in the 1930's.I am delighted to see others hunting with milsurps.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Last winter I shot a big moose cow with my 8x57IR drilling. It is the rimmed older version of 8 mm Mauser - it shoots .318" bullets instead of .323", but bullet weight and velocity are the same. The bullet hit in the rib cage just behind the leg, went through the heart and was later recovered on the other side. Being hit, the cow took some twenty steps and fell.

I also have a Brno m/21 8x57IS (.323"), which is a great rifle to shoot and handle, but I have not got any game in front of the muzzle.

The 8 mm is a rather efficient cartridge. It is not much different from the .30-06, but is a faster killer. I think that the slower and heavier bullets make that. If the .30-06 were loaded with slower and heavier bullets as 200 or 220 grs, I am sure that it would perform in the same good manner.

F.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I do not have a 8mm although would like one, I am big fan of 8mm bullets!
What I would really like is an 8mm x 64. In a lever!!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

bcraig wrote:Thanks for the input guys and txpete looks like the old 8mm Mauser saved your bacon ! Pun intended !
:D yes it did.the owner of the ranch went up a tree so it was just me and this PO hog :lol: .
the rifle is a K98K german but yugo capture.when my best friend came back from iraq I gave it to him as a welcome home present.he loves it.
I am now down to one mauser.brno K98K israeli in 7.62 (308)

DAV life member.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

IMHO the 196 grainers are a bit heavy for deer. I have a bunch of the S&B stuff, and yeah, they plow right along, but for deer, 45 grains Varget and a 180 Nosler BT would be my go-to load from the 1918 vintage Mauser.
Certified gun nut
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Shatterhand wrote:Last winter I shot a big moose cow with my 8x57IR drilling. It is the rimmed older version of 8 mm Mauser - it shoots .318" bullets instead of .323", but bullet weight and velocity are the same. The bullet hit in the rib cage just behind the leg, went through the heart and was later recovered on the other side. Being hit, the cow took some twenty steps and fell.

I also have a Brno m/21 8x57IS (.323"), which is a great rifle to shoot and handle, but I have not got any game in front of the muzzle.

The 8 mm is a rather efficient cartridge. It is not much different from the .30-06, but is a faster killer. I think that the slower and heavier bullets make that. If the .30-06 were loaded with slower and heavier bullets as 200 or 220 grs, I am sure that it would perform in the same good manner.

F.
On deer with the '06, that is not so. Even 180s might be too heavy. The exception would be the Green Box Cor-Lokt as they open very easily.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I have alot of respect for that round and if you hand load try the 185 gr Rem bullet it shoot really well in one I had. I also really ticked of a friend who bought a 338 Federal when I asked what will that do that a 8mm mauser in a strong rifle will not?