Which RCBS die for 32-20

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Which RCBS die for 32-20

Post by kimwcook »

I purchased a Browning 53 in 32-20 a while back and I'am wondering which RCBS die set to get. There's the 3 die Cowboy set and the two die set. This is what BACO has listed. RCBS actually lists another three die set on their site, but they don't say a thing about them. I'd prefer to stay with RCBS as I've had good luck with them both in performance and warranty. What say you.
Old Law Dawg
Don McDowell

Re: Which RCBS die for 32-20

Post by Don McDowell »

Do the 3 die set, it'll have the "m' style neck expander die.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Don are you saying the Cowboy three die set or the three die set RCBS shows on their site? Thanks.
Old Law Dawg
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I like the Lee factory crimp with the 32-20 . It's easy to crush the neck when crimping.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:oops: Kim, my bad the cowboy/legacy set. You can use that expander for a powder compression die if you decide to load it the way it was born. :D
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

my understanding is that the RCBS "Cowboy" dies are designed for loading cast (lead) bullets. So if you are thinking you'll reload more lead bullets than jacketed, go with the "Cowboy" dies. Internal dimensions are larger by one or two thousandths to allow for the larger sized bullet.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Don, bad on me, but I don't think I'll be shooting BP. I don't like the clean up. Now, I'm still working on BP with my Shiloh. In fact I need to get to the range. :D
Old Law Dawg
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:) Yeh but at least you'll have the ability should you see the light and decide to follow it.... :lol:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I use the RCBS Cowboy dies, for both lead and jacketed 32-20 loads.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I second the Lee FCD for the 32-20.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BenT wrote:I like the Lee factory crimp with the 32-20 . It's easy to crush the neck when crimping.
Yep. The FCD's for "rifle" rounds are awesome, and the .32-20 is that type. The "pistol" ones I'm less thrilled with - different construction.

The Lee FCD would be combineable with RCBS sizer, expander/charger, seater, etc., if you already have RCBS.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll get the RCBS three die Cowboy set.

Fill me in on the Lee FCD. My understanding is it's a taper crimp die. How's that work for a magazine tube fed levergun?
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

kimwcook wrote:Thanks guys for the replies. I'll get the RCBS three die Cowboy set.

Fill me in on the Lee FCD. My understanding is it's a taper crimp die. How's that work for a magazine tube fed levergun?
Look at a typical factory load, and you'll often see evidence of a four-fingered 'collet' squeezing the crimp, more from the 'side' of the case, as opposed to depending on exact trim length. Look on the leeprecision.com website - http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/bro ... crimp.html, and see this graphic...

Even the reloaders who 'dis' Lee because it isn't one of the 'old guard' or whatever, often admit they prefer the FCD die for 'rifle' cartridges (they consider .32-20 a 'rifle' round).

And yes, they are great for tubular-magazine guns, as they do crimp really solidly, regardless of bullet type or presence of cannelure.

The 'pistol' one Lee sells has a circular sliding collet that essentially (from what I can see) puts a roll-crimp on the case.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks, Doc.

I'm not new to reloading, but my understanding of a roll crimp is at the cannelure or crimp groove if cast and a taper crimp is just that, a crimp along the bullets body (ie..45 ACP). My concern was magazine tube spring pressure pushing on the bullet would overcome the taper crimp pressure and push the bullet into the case causing all sorts of problems (which I've observed with 45 ACP ammunition being repetitively rotated through clearing and reloading a pistol). But, if the FCD is good enough to hold the jacketed bullets from moving, I'm in.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Law Dawg
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Back when T/C was making barrels for the 32-20 they used 30 cal barrels. Some of the die makers made special die sets, Redding for example, and called them 30-20 or 30-20 TC. If I were you I'd call RCBS and get a clarification on that third set they offer. My guess is that it's for 30 cal barrels.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.