Tulsa Update..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Tulsa Update..

Post by Kansas Ed »

Just an update for those who missed it today...........

We've never done the Sunday show before...always going on Saturday. But I'm not sure if it was the economy or just this particular show, but in the 5+ miles of tables we covered today...I didn't see a single gun sell.

I really went looking for two guns this time...a Thompson/Auto Ordinance 1927 (West Hurley mfg.), and a 1886 Browning std grade to have Mike Hunter rework to 50-100-450. I only saw one W. Hurley Thompson at some $700 OVER market value, and no Browning 1886 stds. Aardvark Ammo was the only person I saw actually selling anything. Many dealers were saying this was their last time there, or pointing out people who weren't coming back. Many were saying that they didn't even cover expenses this time. Tables were $160 this year. The crowd was sparse..normally at a steady clip we can just cover the whole show from 8:15 to 4:30 considering maneuvering through the crowed aisles. Today we got there at 8:45, and walked the last tables at 2:30. 2 hours ahead of normal.

Notes from the show:

I saw more 1895 carbines this time than I've ever seen. They were everywhere. Most were exceptional condition. Info we got from one high end collector said that a couple of years ago, several crates of surplus were discovered somewhere and were entering the market this year. This from a reputable dealer in high end special Winchesters.

I saw more '86's in 50-100-450 and 50 Exp. than I've ever seen....not sure all of them were the real deal, as letters were extraordinarily scarce considering the values that they were asking. But I probably saw 5 or 6 this time, where 1 or 3 is the norm.

Uberti rifles were uncommon....surprisingly. I saw NO 1876 Uberti/Cimarron's etc. WTH?

I saw NO Shiloh's :cry:

I passed on a Low Wall in 25-20SS that was a takedown!!! Nice bore and good barrel blue for $1200 asking...went back to get it at the end of the day and the whole table had packed up and left. I'm going to kick myself tomorrow for passing that one up....

Asking prices on '86's have come down IMO about $500 since the spring. But they are still out of range. Lots of them there...no one selling them.

I'm finding more and more examples of exceptional Marlins on the racks.

Lots of original Henry's were out at this show. LOTS. Even one Iron frame!! But of course you can't touch a Henry in ANY condition for less than $28K. But interesting to note none the less.

One dealer said that EBR's were the only thing selling this time...but still prices were about $100 less per unit than in the spring.

The Colt Mustang that I bought in the spring has apparently gained about $250 in value in the last 6 months...now the asking is at a cool $1K for a nice example...glad to know the gun MY WIFE TOOK FROM ME FOR HER CCH GUN is going up in value :shock:

Enough for tonight...need a beer...Ibuprofen for my sore feet, and bed.

Ed
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Tulsa Update..

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the report. It does seem the gun market has really softened up. Guns seem to be getting cheaper by the week. It's so bad around here the pawn shops are calling me.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Oh, one added note...the most expensive Winchester I saw this time was a near perfect 50-100-450 Winchester Deluxe 1886 at a cool $49,500. (The iron frame Henry had no price attached). I'm going to keep track of that inadvertent piece of data from now on. :D

Ed
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I went to the Tulsa show @ ten years ago. Was a long weekend w/ the ex.

I was hot for a US marked Trench Gun. Saw at least a dozen, but all but one were fakes.
Swore I'd never go back.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Jason ! did U ever get Your Trench Gun ? still want one ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

pwl44m wrote:Jason ! did U ever get Your Trench Gun ? still want one ?
No. I settleled for a '97 made in 1918 but not US marked.
I's love to have a real one!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Was wanting to go to Tulsa this fall, but family matters took precedence. Next weekend would have been OK and last weekend would have been OK, but not THIS weekend :(

Not looking for anything in particular, just wanted to go look. May make the SAR show in Phoenix, next month, maybe not.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Goodness--- i was kicking myself for not going until this post (i honestly couldnt afford to go anyway, but its funny what i seem to "find the room for" if something nice really grabs me by the short-n-curlys.

Was reading in the revolver section of AR15.com, a fella got 3 nice S&W D-A's for around a grand --- he likely got the best deal of the show :lol:
----- Doug
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I live about two hours from the Tulsa show, used to go every time the door opened and even set up there occassionally....back when tables were $25 and $3.50 would get you thru the door, $5.00 for a weekend pass. I haven't been in about 25 years. I used to go to all the shows within a 4 hour drive...Dallas/FW, Witchita, OKC all of them. I only go to the little local show anymore and then only when they'll take $6.00 or less to get in the door. Gunshows are pricing themselves out of business....$75 and up per table and $10.00 gate fees are rediculous.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

When I started going to gun shows 30 years ago you could usually get in for 2-3 bucks. I remember when they hit $5 thinking that was insane. Now the ones in our area are $7 a head, but it is easy to go on-line and print off a $1 off coupon. Went with my wife to an antique show last weekend and it was $10 a head. No shortage of crowd either, so I'm not going to complain about the gun shows for a while!

Last show in my area was the "Dixie Gun & Knife" show. I didn't buy anything, but I saw plenty of people buying.
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

firefuzz wrote:Gunshows are pricing themselves out of business....$75 and up per table and $10.00 gate fees are rediculous.

Rob
I live about 45 minutes from the Tulsa Gun Show and this was the second time in the last 10 years that I went. We used to set up a table back in the mid '80's (when they were $20 as I recall). I would agree with you on principle about the shows pricing themselves out of business but on Saturday when we went it was wall to wall people, and I didn't see one empty table. One thing I noticed was the abundance of Colt single actions and Winchester lever actions. Years ago the dominant weapons were black assault rifles. I will also agree that the Uberti, etal replicas were in short supply.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
KSFlatheadhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KSFlatheadhunter »

We saw a lot of tire kickers and less buyers. The only table set up close to us that was selling much was L&L Machine Guns that had the "Tactical Girls" selling their calendars at their set of tables. I guess the couple selling Jerky at the end of our (read that, Lonnie of Run-N-Iron's) tables were selling a lot of jerky. I am noticing a pattern.

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS
I can all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Life is hard, it is harder if your stupid. John Wayne
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I was at the Tulsa show. Set up one table with my Colt SAA traders. A bad knee made me stay at the table so I sold a lot of screws and parts, (enough to pay for the table). Plus I made a few trades and bought a couple of single actions. Probably got the bargain of the show in real Colt for under $1k.

I did notice the attendance was WAY down, especially on Sunday. Not much money changing hands until Sunday when people had done their shopping.

I'm paid up for next show and was glad to find it was still $140, same as the last 2 or 3. Been doing this one since I can't really remember when.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS