Disc plow blades for targets?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Disc plow blades for targets?

Post by jnyork »

We are thinking of some range improvements. Has anyone ever hung disc plow blades up for 100-500 yards high power targets? Wondering how bullet resistant they are, should be pretty hard I would think and should ring pretty well?
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Disc plow blades for targets?

Post by claybob86 »

I've used old ones. They would break if hit close to the edge or the hole in the middle. That was with .44 mag and .30-30. Newer ones might be tougher, I dunno...
Have you hugged your rifle today?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It would be NICE to have a metal target that you could actually shoot continuously with a .30-06 FMJ without cratering and eventual penetration...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

There is such a target. You will see these advertised now and then. The makers cut them from ____ steel with a plasma cutter and usually do so in batches to ensure they sell the entire run from a steel plate order. Dang CRS made me forget the steel type. I'll find it shortly.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

They'll hold up for a little while, but you'll get an awful lot of richocet's off of em... :o

For longevity you want some AR500 1/2 inch steel, stuff is horribly spendy tho.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Was it Abrasion Resistant Hobie It's sometimes known as AR plate.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

JN if you're close to Sierra Vista, get ahold of Greg Cameron, he can probably help you get into some good target stuff.
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

AR500, 3/8 or 1/2 inch. A 12 inch circle of 1/2 material will run around $80, 3/8 around $60.

We've had a couple of 3/8 plates on our 200 yard range for about 2 months. There is no limit as to what they get shot with and so far they are holding up well. The method used to mount the plates has a lot to do with longevity.

Dennis.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

DennisB wrote:AR500, 3/8 or 1/2 inch. A 12 inch circle of 1/2 material will run around $80, 3/8 around $60.

We've had a couple of 3/8 plates on our 200 yard range for about 2 months. There is no limit as to what they get shot with and so far they are holding up well. The method used to mount the plates has a lot to do with longevity.

Dennis.
What's the best way to mount 'em?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Don McDowell wrote:They'll hold up for a little while, but you'll get an awful lot of richocet's off of em... :o
That was my experience, very brittle too. They don't last long.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

We busted and shot thru several old dics a couple of weeks ago with cast bullets in 45 Colt, 250 gr at about 800fps....if you can find some disc from back in the 50's or 60s they will hold up awhile with cast bullets, but you'll be punching holes with modern jacketed ammo of any type with disc......We used alot of disc in early days of our cowboy club, but they were very old dics and the new ones we got awhile back were pretty pathetic, probably made in china.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hang 'em with the top tilted forward, so bullet impact is deflected downward. Needn't be but 15º, or so. Make a single point of support, allowing for some movement to help absorb the kenitic energy. When you notice cratering, take 'em down, weld and grind smooth again; quench with water before movin to next crater. Anyway, that's what I do with my personal steel.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
_n4z_
Levergunner

Post by _n4z_ »

http://www.arntzentargets.com/index.htm

These guys sell AR500 steel targets. I bought one of their 12" rounds and a stand. I've hit it with everything from .38spl to 7.62x54r (lead core only). It is holding up quite well.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Worn out bushhog blades can be cut into about 5"X 5, 6 what ever lenght you can salvage. Theyre usually 7/16 up to 5/8" thick. They are very, very hard to cut with an electric hacksaw. A torch may work better. We put a 5"X8" piece up at the longer range 400M. We banged at it with 7 &300 mags. No damage. My 22 BR will neatly perforate 5/16 mild steel at this range, not so the blade. Ive shot it at 100yd with the 300, and the most damage to date is a small dimple you can barely feel with your fingernail. You dont get a clang, but more of a crack when you hit it.This piece came from a DNR mower, so I guess you might be able to scrounge some from state highway mower folk. Dont know the steel type but it seems near indestructable.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

We put up some AR500 plate at 300,335 & 428 yds at our local range.. Will move the 300 out to 500yds. They are 1" thick and 300 weatherby's just leave a little smear on them. Homogeneous bullets, aka Barnes TTSX will indent the plate about .010", maybe. Lead core, no problems
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Go to Ebay and type in "AR500 steel". Looks like a lot of reasonably priced targets 3/8" thick of various diameters.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:There is such a target. You will see these advertised now and then. The makers cut them from ____ steel with a plasma cutter and usually do so in batches to ensure they sell the entire run from a steel plate order. Dang CRS made me forget the steel type. I'll find it shortly.
Beat you to it. One of my fav. companies:

http://www.metaltargets.com

Go with the "High Velocity" targets...
http://www.metaltargets.com/AboutOurTar ... atings.htm
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!