Early BLR 81 in 223?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Early BLR 81 in 223?

Post by Canuck Bob »

How do these rifles perform for accuracy. I owned one years ago in 243 and was satisfied with the handling and reliability. Just don't know much about thier shooting performance with a 22 bullet. Spotted a used one that might work for me.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Early BLR 81 in 223?

Post by M. M. Wright »

Don't know about the .223 version but I have had 10 or 11 of them in .308, .243, 30-06 and all were very accurate. Better than most out of the box bolt guns. My very old, worn out, no blue .308 still shoots around MOA. Buy it, you'll like it.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I have one in .222, that is an excellent shooter.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

My early .223 has performed well for me since I think of it as a walking varminter rather than a bench gun. With factory ammo, this one has always been good for about an inch or so with factory ammo. Handloads will shade that a bit. It absolutely hates the longer tipped bullets, preferring the blunter soft points. I have a safe full, but this is one of the two or three that I grab first on the way out the door.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Used to have an BLR in 308, now have a MLR in the same calibre. Better than 2 inches at 100 yards. I can get it down to a smidge over an inch if I play with loads.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Like Paperpatch I find my .222 excellent. At 50 yds I can put 5 shots through a ragged .4" hole and with a better scope than my el-cheapo I'm sure a better shooter could do better.
I must admit though that mine is not standard, as the original .223 Browning was re-chambered to .222 with a Remington barrel. Mine is very fussy about sizing and primer seating. If it's not perfect she will probably fail to fire. I don't know if this is common to all BLRs or just mine in particular.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

My brother in law has one in 22-250. Typically his guns are made of gold while mine are made of...well, anyway. In this case he wasn't too far off; with his BLR he consistantly outshot me with my Ruger #1V that I USED to have.

In .223, I think that that it would be a great gun.