POLITICS - here is how much the govt really cares about us

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

POLITICS - here is how much the govt really cares about us

Post by 45-70- »

Just in case any of you had any doubts about how much they care about us. This is just another reason why most of us choose to take care of our own family and not rely on the govt.

FEMA "ignored, hid and manipulated government research on the potential impact of long-term exposure to formaldehyde" on Katrina and Rita victims now living in the FEMA trailers

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02429.html
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Lawmakers Fault FEMA on Trailers

From News Services and Staff Reports
Tuesday, January 29, 2008; A03

Democratic leaders of a House science subcommittee alleged yesterday that the Federal Emergency Management Agency manipulated scientific research into the potential danger posed by a toxic gas emitted in trailers still housing tens of thousands of survivors of hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

FEMA "ignored, hid and manipulated government research on the potential impact of long-term exposure to formaldehyde" on Katrina and Rita victims now living in the FEMA trailers, the congressmen wrote in a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, whose department includes FEMA.

Reps. Brad Miller (N.C.) and Nick Lampson (Tex.) cited agency documents given to Congress in alleging that the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention -- generally considered a repository of nonpartisan scientific expertise -- was "complicit in giving FEMA precisely what they wanted" to suppress the adverse health effects.

The lawmakers said the CDC's Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry ignored one of its experts, Christopher T. De Rosa, after he informed FEMA there was no "safe level" of long-term exposure. They said FEMA bypassed that opinion and "shopped" the agency for its desired recommendation to study only short-term exposure.

"Any level of exposure to formaldehyde may pose a cancer risk, regardless of duration," De Rosa wrote in a Feb. 27, 2007, letter to a FEMA lawyer, recently obtained by a House Science and Technology investigative subcommittee that Miller chairs. "Failure to communicate this issue is possibly misleading and a threat to public health."

De Rosa wrote the letter after learning that the CDC bypassed his office to produce a Feb. 1, 2007, report for FEMA that did not consider long-term exposure risks, contradicting his recommendation to the agency in June 2006.

"Honest scientific studies don't start with the conclusion, and then work backwards from there," Miller said.

FEMA said the health agency's report last February did not address long-term health effects but rather concerned ways to avoid toxic exposure to formaldehyde. "FEMA did not suppress or inappropriately influence any report," agency spokesman James McIntyre said.

More than 40,000 trailers are still being used by families displaced by Katrina in August 2005 and Rita weeks later. FEMA announced last July that it would test occupied trailers, after congressional investigators disclosed that the agency had suppressed warnings for more than a year from its field workers about health problems experienced by Katrina survivors.

Tests on 500 trailers, finally begun last month, are being performed by CDC, the lawmakers noted. "The Committee is concerned about the independence and scientific integrity of any indoor air testing for formaldehyde levels in these trailers done under the auspices of FEMA," Miller and Samson wrote.

"For those who are too poor to live elsewhere, FEMA's position remains as it was in 2006: there are no possible adverse health effects that can't be cured by opening the windows," they added.
Last edited by ScottT on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It's free housing for cryin out loud. Open a door and air the thing out a bit.

I walked trailer lots one time trying to help a cousin of mine find a trailer. All of them have that smell when they're new.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rusty wrote:It's free housing for cryin out loud. Open a door and air the thing out a bit.

I walked trailer lots one time trying to help a cousin of mine find a trailer. All of them have that smell when they're new.

Rusty <><
Indeed.......New carpet and pad is the same deal.... :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I cannot stand a man who won't post the whole thing, but takes only that which he wants to prove some kind of point
:? A precise quote from an article cannot not be hung on a man posting it....Dang, ease up some..... :wink:
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Scott, I thought posting the link would be easy enough for you. What is unsubstantiated about the medical report? I was just posting the story for people to read. I dont care if you agree with it or not.

ScottT
Shootist

Re: OT-here is how much the govt really cares about us

Post by ScottT »

45-70- wrote:Just in case any of you had any doubts about how much they care about us. This is just another reason why most of us choose to take care of our own family and not rely on the govt.

FEMA "ignored, hid and manipulated government research on the potential impact of long-term exposure to formaldehyde" on Katrina and Rita victims now living in the FEMA trailers

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02429.html
Let's be careful here, the portion of your post that I have set forth in bold was not from any "medical report." It was from a letter sent by Reps. Brad Miller (N.C.) and Nick Lampson (Tex.) to Michael Chertoff.
"Scott, I thought posting the link would be easy enough for you. What is unsubstantiated about the medical report? I was just posting the story for people to read. I dont care if you agree with it or not."

I don't agree or disagree with the underlying facts....I don't know what they are. Let's just include the source so there won't be any misunderstanding that this is just the opinion as expressed by congressmen and not some finding of any official investigation.
Last edited by ScottT on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

BlaineG wrote:
I cannot stand a man who won't post the whole thing, but takes only that which he wants to prove some kind of point
:? A precise quote from an article cannot not be hung on a man posting it....Dang, ease up some..... :wink:
It can when it is represented as something that it is not.

Listen, I don't know if anybody hid anything.

But here is the point. We hear bullshit from various members of congress on a daily basis. To take a quote from one of them and to attribute it to them is one thing...we can decide whether or not the source has any credibility.

For example, if Nancy Peloci says something predictable on gun control, we can weigh that and decide whether or not we agree.

The actual story tells us that the facts are not in.
Last edited by ScottT on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

OK Scott, I toutured myself by going back to the Washington Post a second time and reading that article again. I was ASSUMING that the report this CDC expert, Christopher T. De Rosa, wrote would be a medical report. I just thought the article was enlightening. I have long felt FEMA was a waste of money and never really had the publics best interest in mind.

45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

"But this poster here cites it as fact. Then when confronted, misrepresents it again by saying it is part of some "medical report." The actual story tells us that the facts are not in."

Scott, as stated earlier, I simply posted the story for people to read. You seem to have gotten real bent out of shape over it, sorry if I somehow offended you. I did not intentionally mean to misrepresent or change one word about the story. I posted the one quote that got my blood pressure up. As I said in my last post, I assumed the report written by this so called CDC expert would be a medical report. Maybe I shouldnt have assumed that but I was not trying to purposely misrepresent anything. Anyways, take care.

ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

45-70,

I'm not bent out of shape and did not mean to imply that. As I said, I don't know whether or not FEMA did anything wrong here or not. I'm sorry for any heartburn I have caused.

This is kind of the same thing that happens with the Waco posts.

I know you have your opinions about the government, and you have every right to express them here or elsewhere. That's what being an American is all about.....I just think that your source (in this particular case) is suspect.

Again, you can distrust the government for any reason, for no reason, or for a reason that I may disagree with.....All of the above are fair game and if you post them here, I won't say a word. :D
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It's not the government's job to care about us. I'll take care of myself thank you very much.

I've never been in a new mobile home that didn't make your eyes water. If the cry babies in New Orleans didn't like the free housing, why didn't they find some to pay for out of their own pockets like we did in Florida.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
gumpond
Levergunner

Post by gumpond »

Since I've made a living in the manufactured housing industry for more than 30 years, I can't leave this alone.
Yes there is formaldehyde in most manufactured homes. Most site built also.
If it has carpet, upholstered furniture, drapes, or clothing it probably has formaldehyde in it. If it is built to HUD codes , it is required that a notice be posted in EVERY home. If it is built to state codes like site built, ther is no such requirement. The company I work for builds both.
There is no difference in the materials used in any of these. HUD code just requires the notice.
The Federal Government bought HUD and Park models. The HUD had the notices.
Forced? These people were given homes because they had the ?? poor judgement to live below sea level?
I do not live in an area prone to disasters on such scale. Because of this, I must have insurance because if a tornado or fire hits my home, the government is not going to help me.
These people were given a chance to make a new start. Are they greatful?
Now they are demanding more. They are demanding it of ME. They want more of my tax dollars. After all, who is the government? We the people.
Last night President Bush said one thing I liked. If you want to give more, the IRS takes cash, checks, and money orders. Please just don't volunteer me, I already have pet charities.
Boy I got off subject on that.

Still.........That's what it's about, dollars not health.

Reminds me of the time I decided to feed the birds. I saw a beautiful bird in my backyard. I decided it would be nice to put a feeder on the back porch. In a couple days I had a lot of beautiful birds. A few days later I went out and noticed bird poop all over my deck. When I went to clean it up a bird dove at me and tried to run me off. It seems like the more I do for them the more they want to stuff on me.

I know we are to give our coats when it is demanded but I am not perfect yet and it still gets to me.
Greg
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

70+ years after he's been dead they still stand in the cold Russian winter weather to visit Lenin's tomb.
spurgon
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

More mudslinging and biting the hand that feeds.

The trailors were new, hence formaldehyde and other chemicals leeching out of the materiel composing them.

100 years ago, a group of people displaced by a natural disaster would have just moved or died.
The things we take for granted.

Imagine if your house blew over and someone GAVE you a brand-spanking new trailor to live in while you rebuilt. Then you went and tried to make a federal case against them for exposing you to "toxic vapors".

Sad.