OT: Wilderness Weekend (photos and video)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

OT: Wilderness Weekend (photos and video)

Post by KirkD »

Well men, it didn't work out to get the family out into the remote wilderness this year for our annual getaway. None of my four boys could make it due to either not being able to get time off work or, for one of them, living out in Whistler, BC. My two girls, who had been pestering me as to when we could get out on our annual family camping trip, were less than enthusiastic about just coming by themselves along with my wife and I. They are both in highschool now, and friends and family are pretty much their life. The blond one is a serious figure skater, with two Gold Medallions from Skate Canada, and trains four days a week. She keeps us wearing out our car driving to practices and competitions. The darker one just can't get enough of horses, especially training them. She has a way with all animals, and even the Maremma listens to her. Between that, and friends and school, she is a busy girl. I offered them a choice: wilderness camping without the four brothers and their wives, or a trip to see some friends, a couple days on Mackinac Island, winding up with a shopping spree at Birch Run outlet mall in MI. Well my girls DO like to shop and Mackinac Island followed by a day of Birch Run ...... well, few teenage girls can resist that and there went the wilderness camping trip for this year (what is this family coming to!!). Here's our two girls ....

Work has been crazy and shows no signs of letting up. I figured I needed a dose of the primeval wilderness, even if it was for a weekend. Two of my boys were able to make it this past weekend. The Queen of Hearts (otherwise known as my wife) packed up some food for us and we left Friday morning and drove, paddled, and portaged into the wilderness. With just one canoe and packing light, we were able to move fast, but it was late when we arrived. My boys cooked up supper while I set up and anchored the tent against come what may. We built a decent sized fire and sat around it talking and remembering other trips into the wilderness, stretching back 20 years, going as a family. Here's a shot of the Old Geezer, staring into the fire, remembering all the good times we had in the past, and hoping for more in the future. He's packing an original Colt SAA artillery, chambered in 45 Schofield, made in 1882, completely rebuilt and restored, holstered in a Mernickle cross draw holster http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ca/ca12.html

After the boy had gone to bed, I spent a long time watching the half moon over the lake, admiring the stars, and reminiscing, while the coals of the fire behind me slowing faded into darkness.

Well, we had a good time, cracking jokes, fishing, and enjoying lots of coffee. Both boys that came with me are connoisseurs of coffee, with one of them just becoming an assistant manager for a Starbucks. He brought a nifty little espresso machine that works over the fire or over a camp stove, and the other brought a French Press. I was up each day before sunrise and, with the temperature around the freezing mark, started a toasty, crackling fire. The two lads would then resurrect themselves our of bed and get to work on the coffee. Men, there is nothing like sipping a hot, French Press coffee beside a crackling early morning fire, looking out over a wilderness lake that we have entirely to ourselves blanketed in mist. Here's a shot of the boys fishing ...

The second morning, I mixed up a batch of pancake batter and we ate pancakes with Maple syrup until we didn't want to see or smell another pancake. Here's a video of our surroundings, one of my boys enjoying an Espresso, and culminating in the Old Geezer himself flipping one of his pancakes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llb01NPYNW8
Last edited by KirkD on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Wilderness Weekend (photos and video)

Post by Nath »

Oh yes, fantastic spot, your regular spot I believe. Your blessed KD.

Your two girls are beautifull, blessed again Kirk.

I allways look forward to your wilderness walks :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Kirk, it just doesn't get better than that. Thanks so much for the ride along. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You're a lucky man Kirk. Take lots of pictures!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Beautiful family, beautiful country and a great weekend, what more can a man ask for ?

I bet that coffee never tasted better either. :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

boy that sure sounds good....and I am so jealous...

reminds me of a place we used to visit when i was a little kid....
beautiful spot....

but....
an espresso machine......
in the woods..... :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Great times for sure! Your girls are beautiful and your camping spot is first rate. Congrats on getting out there!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Dave wrote:Great times for sure! Your girls are beautiful and your camping spot is first rate. Congrats on getting out there!
Dave, they must have gotten their looks from the Queen of Hearts, normally known as the wife of the Old Geezer ..... they shore didn't get their looks from their Pa!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, we sure did enjoy your trip. My wife can't get over your girl's eyes, they are beautiful, definantly from your wife.
Did 'ol 30-30 go along too?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

JerryB wrote:Did 'ol 30-30 go along too?
Jerry, I wanted to travel real light so we could get in and out a lot faster, so I didn't bring the 30-30 or a lot of other stuff. Also, I've been practicing with the Colt SAA at up to 50 yards and am getting more confident with it, if I had a problem with a Black Bear or a Cougar at real close range.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Once again, thank you for sharing some of the best times with family.
It is not the critic who counts
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, I reckon that Colt would sure be capable and up to the job.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

From the sound of it, you have raised a crop of intelligent and talented young humans who will value family time, the outdoors, and the freedom necessary with which to appreciate it. Give yourself a couple gold stars for that...! The greatest joy in life is to see your youngsters grow up and become that kind of people, but it takes hard work and some willingness to prioritize differently than the rest of the herd.

Thanks for sharing with us, for some of us have raised our own crop, and enjoy your post for our own memories it stirs, and others on the forum are young enough they'll not be the "Old Geezer" for a few decades - your post gives them something to look forward to... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nath wrote:Oh yes, fantastic spot, your regular spot I believe. Your blessed KD.

Your two girls are beautifull, blessed again Kirk.

I allways look forward to your wilderness walks :D

Nath.

I'll say!

I'm already thinking about how I put a moat around my house for just one daughter, and she's only 8...
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Beautiful young ladies Kirk. Great pictures. Great to see families out enjoying Gods creation.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That fire picture is fabulous - man of the west. Great report and looks like it was a great trip.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Kirk,

Thanks for sharing that. I dare say you have made your own good fortune and wonderful family. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The girls are beautiful and the pancake flipping - wow - with a sixgun at hand. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great stuff Kirk. You are truly blessed in many ways.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

Hey Kirk what part of the province is that in? I'm heading up here into the Duck Mountains (yeah someone has a huge sense of humour to name anything mountain here on prairies) with a couple of the kids in the next little while. Great pictures and great memories for sure. I'm already priming my grandson for the outdoors (he just turned ten months).
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Huntermb wrote:Hey Kirk what part of the province is that in? I'm heading up here into the Duck Mountains (yeah someone has a huge sense of humour to name anything mountain here on prairies) with a couple of the kids in the next little while. Great pictures and great memories for sure. I'm already priming my grandson for the outdoors (he just turned ten months).
We usually head into northern Ontario into Crown Land, East or North of Lake Huron. I grew up on a farm near Dauphin, right on Highway 5 between Ochre River and Dauphin. I've also taken the family into Nopiming Park north of the Whiteshell several times in the past. Flintstone Lake was loaded with Jack (Northern Pike for those elsewhere), but our favourite lake was Elton Lake, which had plentiful pickerel (Walleye), Smallmouth Bass, and Pike. It is the third lake in after three portages and crossing two other lakes. With a family, it usually took a day to a day and a half just to get in to Elton Lake, but it was sure worth it. The Duck Mountain park has some good fishing, not to mention Elk Hunting.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Kirk the memories you make with your kids stay with them their whole lives. Theres nothing better than camping fishing or hunting with the kids or grandkids. danny
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

Wow small world! I live in the very western part of the provonce (In Virden), but I've got family in Dauphin and have spent many hours on Lake Dauphin both frozen and unfrozen. I've been up to Elton lake with buddies but haven't taken the family up there. Believe it or not we are seeing more and more moose and elk down here where I live, not to mention we have a supply of cougars in the area now.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

No kidding! Elton Lake in Nopiming Park! Most Manitobans have never even heard of it. I sure hope they haven't built a road into that lake. We were last in there about 1992. By the way, I'm heading up to Dauphin the last weekend this month for a couple days to see friends and relatives, while on a business trip to Winnipeg. I've been through Virden quite a few times, twice on our way to Moosemin, SK to buy a couple antique pieces of furniture at an antique store there. Dauphin Lake was were I caught my first fish when I was a kid. I've hauled an awful lot of Pike out of that lake when I was younger.
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

I haven't been up there since the mid 80's. My uncle and one of his old friends had trapped up there in the 30's so a few of us decided to check it out, it was a very good trip. I make it over to Moosmin fairly regular. There used to be a great gun shop there but it is gone now.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very very nice. always enjoy pictures and stories from your trips into the wild. blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

KirkD wrote:
Dave wrote:Great times for sure! Your girls are beautiful and your camping spot is first rate. Congrats on getting out there!
Dave, they must have gotten their looks from the Queen of Hearts, normally known as the wife of the Old Geezer ..... they shore didn't get their looks from their Pa!
Well, I wasn't going to say anything about them favoring your lovely bride, but now that you mention it :D
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Family get aways are the best of times. It kinda sad that we have to leave home for family time together. We work our whole life to build a happy healthy home and then ya get so busy with phone calls and e-mails and folks stopping by that ya gotta leave home just to enjoy each others company. It's also amazing how setting around a camp fire gets everyone on the same page.