1886 in "Rough Riders."

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

1886 in "Rough Riders."

Post by Gary7 »

I'm watching the mini-series "Rough Riders" and I noticed that Sam Elliot's character (O'Neal) is carrying what looks like a big 1886 when he rides in to the train depot to join the Arizona Volunteers. Here's a shot of him with the gun on the train as it's pulling away and he's saying goodbye to his wife.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 1886 in "Rough Riders."

Post by J Miller »

Yep, that's what it is. Side by side with a 92. Look close and the difference is obvious.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Awesome '86 with a beefy octagonal. Looking at the finish I have to suspect it's original as well. Very nice!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I absolutly LOVED that movie. I taped it for my library & have viewed it several times. Gary Busey was a real trip in it. I really enjoyed him, but everyone was great in it, including Retired Marine Captain Dale Dye, a Vietnam War, (I don't give a darn what anyone else calls it) combat veteran, who's been an advisor on several war movies & the Band of Brothers HBO cable series, as well as The Pacific HBO series. I'm not ashamed to admit that every time I see Sam get greased, I get all choked up, because of what I saw going on between him & his lovely wife as he left on that train to Destiny & Death. Long Live The RoughRiders! jd45
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We have that movie on DVD an watch it regularly. Later on Bucky has a nice '95 carbine as well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

awesome gun, movie and actors....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

Definetly one of my favorite "Western" movies. The "Wind and the Lion" is another favorite.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

By the looks of it the gun has seen hard use and most likely was a studio rifle, one of many that they own and use for film work. In "Cheyenne Social Club" Jimmy Stewart carried a similar 1886, as did the character upstairs in the shootout between Jack Wilson(Palance) and Shane(Ladd) in the one of the most excellent westerns ever made, "Shane". :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

There is a EL '86 in there as well. Check out Hurst:)
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gary7 »

RDB wrote:There is a EL '86 in there as well. Check out Hurst:)
I saw that. The character Frederick Remington had one too.
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gary7 »

Another note that struck me from this movie: Check out the battle scenes where some of our soldiers are shooting Krags and others 1895s. Watch how natural using a lever action is in a rapid fire standing combat situation versus a bolt action. (Of course, in a prone position the bolt action would be better.)
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Post by HillbillyGadget »

Yep, rough riders is one of my favorite movies, I even named one of my cur pups Bucky O'neil, and a lab named Sparky Ruff Rider, I've wanted to try a '95.