Henry .22 levergun accuracy problems UPDATE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Henry .22 levergun accuracy problems UPDATE

Post by 86er »

I have a relatively new Henry Youth .22 levergun that belongs to my sons. It wears a Cabelas Pine Ridge 3X9X28 scope. It seemed to sight in alright several months ago with good groups. Recently I missed two animals with it at ranges that were appropriate for the trajectory. I shot it today and it is erratic. 5 kinds of ammo plus one Accurized and not. All erratic. For instance, two shots touch, one is 4" high. Next group, different ammo - 2 shots within an inch of one another but 2" right. 3rd shot 3" high. Another ammo - low and left and a 2" group. 5 minutes later same ammo is good elevation but 1" left for 2 shots and then one throws 2" high. Any thoughts? I figure the first blame is the scope followed by me. We all shot my son's 1939 Springfield .22 that I cut down for him, with open sights and CCI CB Caps. I could keep 5 shots in the 1" bullseye circle and my older son could keep 5 shots within the 6" outer ring, with some within an inch of dead center bull. It aint our marksmanship. What would you do?

UPDATE BELOW
Last edited by 86er on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Henry .22 levergun accuracy problems

Post by awp101 »

I know you've done a lot more than me for a lot longer than I have when it comes to serious firearms stuff, so don't take this the wrong way. I forget the simple basics for a lot of things myself more often than I care to think about... :lol:

Bad scope? Bad/loose scope mounts?

Does this one have the plastic barrel band? Have you tried to remove it and see if that helps?

Are the stocks still mounted solidly?

Damaged crown?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, me being me, the first thing I'd do it pull the scope off of it and try it with the open sights.

Then I'd go to all those things awp101 mentioned.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Good points -

I checked the crown - good
The barrel band is in place. Same results more or less without it.
Scope is mounted snug in the dovetails and rings are solid.
Don't know about the bad scope - could be the culprit - I hope it is. The scope can be replaced or gone forever for all we care. It will be disappointing if its the rifle.

Any more ideas? I'm gonna fiddle with it later on again. Getting ready to pull the scope.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

A friend of mine had one of those Pine Ridge scopes on a 308. It bit the dust in one season. I wouldn't have too much confidence in that scope.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I bet the reticule is "bouncing" around inside the scope. Swap it out.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Sounds like a classic scope problem...I think Hobie prolly nailed it... I had that happen with a brand new Weaver back in the 70s.. Drove me nuts at first...Finally mounted it on another rifle and got same results w/it on that rifle therefore nailing down it was scope trouble..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I went on a binge a year or two ago and bought a Henry, and a 9422. The Henry had a poor action and a poor trigger. I mounted a scope on it to find potential with ammo, and it wouldn't hold a candle to the 9422. I tried several types of LR's and several types of shorts. Took the scope off and it still didn't do good. Slicked up the action and trigger and it was still a poor shooter. Took it out a few more times and just shot the hell out of it to waste ammo. The more I shoot it the better it seems to get. I don't know why. It isn't me, cause the 9422 was great right off the bat. Take 500 rounds of ammo, shoot it up at cans rocks and plastic bottles, and then try paper again. It may need to wear a little.

Ed
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I don't remember reading it, what's the round count so far?

If nothing else, if it continues to act up even with iron sights call/email Henry. In my travels around the internet, I have yet to hear of a bad experience with Henry customer service unless the end user was one of those who just can't be made happy.

FWIW, YMMV, BTO, ELO, FDIC...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My Henry is a tack driver so I would bet on the scope. It really likes the Aquila sss and is very quiet with the super colibre's. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

J Miller wrote:Well, me being me, the first thing I'd do it pull the scope off of it and try it with the open sights.

Then I'd go to all those things awp101 mentioned.

Joe
I have one of the Henry H0001T models with the Octagon barrel....unbelievable accurate with the open sights. If I do my part, I can dance shotgun hulls from 25-50 yards with very few misses. 8)

If I miss, I KNOW it's me.... either rushing the shot or not focusing enough.

I love this little gun! Mostly because it makes me look good at the range! :lol: :D

When in doubt give Henry a call, Their CS is fantastic!

Thanks and good luck, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My bet is on the scope as well. I know it's not your shooting Joe! Y2K has a Henry and it is plenty accurate. Looking forward to your next update on how she shot with the scope removed.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

If the scope and irons check out OK you may have something as simple as a leaded barrel. My H001 gets a ton of ammo through it and I've noted that if the barrel leads up the POI can get erratic. That said, once I get the barrel cleaned out it takes about 5-10 fouling shots to bring the accuracy back up to speed. As others have said, it's hands down the smoothest action with the best trigger of any 22 levergun I've owned, including both a 70's era 9422 and 39A, and way more accurate than I am, even with my Model 60 Marlin.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

IF it IS the gun, Mr. Imperato WILL make it right.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Hobie wrote:IF it IS the gun, Mr. Imperato WILL make it right.
Absolutely. E-mail them with a problem and he is the one who'll respond. Yep, the President of Henry will respond personally to your email and make sure whatever you have wrong gets fixed quickly and correctly even if it means replacing the whole rifle. It simply doesn't get any better than that.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:IF it IS the gun, Mr. Imperato WILL make it right.
Got that right. Fine a Gentleman of a CEO as I've ever personaly spoken to over a really minor issue.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Henry .22 levergun accuracy problems UPDATE

Post by 86er »

Shot 3 shot group with scope today. 1- right, 2 - an inch higher and and inch left, 3 - an inch under #2. Pulled the scope. First 3 shot group was 1" sort of triangle shape. Next with different ammo was 1 1/2", 2 next to one another and 1 high and right. Disassembled entire rifle. Polished trigger/sear/hammer. Cleaned thoroughly. Polished any parts that were wearing and lubed. Reassembled. First 3 shot not recorded for fouling. Next 3 shots 3/4" group (although low and left). Different ammo - 3 shot group 1". Back to first ammo - 3 shots 3/4" dead on windage, slightly low. Next groups different ammo - 1" group dead on. Clearly this rifle is not a tack-driver but at least it is reasonable to plink with. Not quite accurate enough for squirrel hunting considering this was 27 yds and it averages 1" - 3 shot groups. The kids can keep 10 shots inside a 6" circle so that's good enough for basic practice and plinking. Can't blame the scope - I still don't know if that was it or not but the rifle is so nice without it that I am not putting it back on. Kind of disappointed overall......
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Wow....for open sights at 20 yards, that's not that bad. :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

86er,

Give Henry a call, and tell them your problem. That rifle has a lifetime warranty on it, and they wll make it right. Ask for Anthony:

Anthony Imperato
President

Henry Repeating Arms Company
59 East 1st Street
Bayonne, NJ 07002

Tel 201-858-4400
Fax 201-858-4435

...or, e-mail him:

Email anthony@henryrepeating.com
Web www.henryrepeating.com

I have read that they will send out a shipping label, and UPS, or FEDEX, will pick up your gun. Turnaround time is pretty good, too.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

How is the barrel held in the reciever?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Nath,

I believe that the Henry Rimfire leverguns' steel barrels are held in their Zinc/ Aluminum alloy frames by press-fit & two pins:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks Shawn, I asked because I had a Remington pump 22 that shot poor untill I noticed the barrel loose in the action. Once I tightened it up it shot as good as anyone could wish for.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!