New Winchester 1885

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

New Winchester 1885

Post by TX50Cal »

Just picked up a New Winchester 1885 highwall in .223. Been wanting one of these for a long time. Now I would like some suggestions on what scope would go good on this rifle. Thanks for any info. On another note, local shop my buddy owns has an original Winchester 1885 in 44-40 That I am thinking about making an offer on. it is on consignment and the owner doesn't know yet what he wants for it. I'll keep ya'll posted and let you know how it turns out.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Winchester 1885

Post by vancelw »

:mrgreen: Jealous

I missed an opportunity to buy one of those at a Gander Mountain grand opening one time. Never seen one that cheap since then. I've got two 1885s but they are both BPCR and too heavy to hunt with. I have hunted with one, but I didn't wander too far from the truck. :oops:

congrats. Those are fun shooters. Are you looking for a retro style scope or something more useful?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
fisheadgib
Levergunner

Post by fisheadgib »

Personally, I would go with a tang sight or a scope with a long skinny brass tube. I lean towards the tang sight.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I shoot the earlier Browning .223 "Lo Wall" sporting a Leopold 3X9 on it. Very accurate and light rifle to carry afield, but the barrel is too thin and I must pace my shooting or it will quickly heat up. Always wanted the Browning M1885 .223 "rifle" variant with a 6.5X20 Leopold on it, but just never could get around to finding a rifle variant.

I am very partial to Leopold 'scopes. Quality glass and workmanship, made in the USofA. My philosophy: buy a good 'scope once and never look back. If you ever part with the rifle, just remove the 'scope and mount it on another. Under harsh or inclement weather conditions, a good 'scope will still perform.

While vernier tangs and long 'scopes look cool, at times they are not the best under some hunting conditions, esp. in low light or in the woods. I mainly shoot Black Powder Catridge Rifles sporting Parsons and MVA 'scopes and MVA vernier sights. Most of the "traditional" scopes are approx. 6X and have a small 3/4" tube and objective lenses. A tube that small doesn't transmit much light when it is dark and the long length can get in the way in the brush or woods. Same with verniers.

Now if you are only going to shoot from the bench, under bright light, or other wise good conditions, they will work out. But very good eye sight is needed for a vernier sight, and changing ambient light conditions will change the sight picture with iron sight and where the round(s) strike, plus, the "traditional" long 'scopes are not as easy to adjust as claimed or perceived.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Guess I should have added, rifle has no sights on it. Scope is my only choice.
Dave
MA1 USN (Retired)
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I'd want to know what you'll be using the rifle for before making a suggestion as to what scope it with...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"Just picked up a New Winchester 1885 highwall in .223. Been wanting one of these for a long time.

Like they say on other forums, 'This post is worthless without pictures"

Glad you found it. :>)
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Plan on using it for a varmint type rifle. Coyotes on down.
I'll post pictures tonight.
Dave
MA1 USN (Retired)
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

one well-placed shot? Hunt down a high-power Unertl scope to put on it.

If you want it to look traditional, the MVA is a great idea, but certainly on the pricey side.
There is also the Leatherwood long Malcolm scope.

I also bet you could get recommendations and find some photos of scoped rifles on the ASSRA board.