1886 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

1886 Winchester

Post by Rafe Covington »

Would appreciate any help you guys could give me, was on the Winchester Collectors web site. They have a 1886 in 40-82 [Serial #8801], it is a special order rifle, it has the extra heavy barrel, Lyman tang sights, set triggers. From the description given on the rifle I would rate it at about 7.5 to 8 myself [far from being an expert]. I know we have some real knowlegable people when it comes to 1886 Winchester rifles, would appreciate a ball park value on this rifle if you guys think you can from the information given.

your servant sir
buffalohunter
Death Before Dishonor
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1886 Winchester

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm not one of the '86 experts, but I can tell you that a gun with that early S/N will probably have been color case hardened and that the remaining case color will make a big difference in value. Also, you mentioned that it was special ordered and gave a couple of features but the stock on a special order gun like that will be important as well. For example, it probably has upgraded wood, maybe a shotgun butt, maybe a deluxe pistol grip, etc.

Still, I'd love an old 40-82. I might prefer a later one with a nickel-steel barrel, but it's a highly desirable gun nonetheless.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 1886 Winchester

Post by longarm4146 »

that's a hard one....you could be looking 3-10K depending on actual condition......I'd look at Cabela's site as they have a good selection, usually with good pics and then the other auction sites.....buying vintage winchesters (or any other vintage gun for that matter) is not for amateurs because you can really get hurt if something doesn't letter or is not original to the gun. Research and more research....Bert H on winchester forum and Kirk D here are pretty knowledgable, I'm still in novice class but have been taught alot by those guys. good luck, 86s kick butt!
SASS 4146
BOLD 199