Thoughts on 94 AE Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Thoughts on 94 AE Trapper

Post by pwl44m »

I found a 94 AE Trapper in 45 LC. It is a used gun (ie) been sold but looks new. price is $495. They were discontinued in 2006 so can't compare to new price. I guess what I'm asking "is there better deals" or is this as good as it gets. Blue Book lists 100% at $675
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Thoughts on 94 AE Trapper

Post by J Miller »

As far as deals go that sounds pretty good. Trappers seem to be more in demand than you'd think. Around here at least they are very uncommon. You just do not see them.
I've had mine since '86 and it's one of those on my "hell will freeze over before I part with it" list.

Only thing I'd caution you about is make sure the sights are straight and at TDC. Crooked sights are a pain in the eye balls.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

that price is just about right....but haggle with him anyway....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I paid a hair less for mine about 2 years ago. So I'd say thats about right. Great little rifles and handy as all get out.
Ricky

DWWC
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Last December I walked in my favorite gun shop just as he was putting out some rifles which he had purchased.One of them was a pristine Model 94AE trapper in 30-30.He made me a really great offer so it came home with me.These are great rifles.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I payed about the same for mine several months ago(in 44 Mag). The front site turned out to be slightly off to the left so just got it back from the smith and ready to shoot.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

I have a 1894 AE Trapper in 45 Colt, have had it for at 20 to 25 years. I would get it if I were you, mine is a great shooter.

SINGLESHOT
Death Before Dishonor
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Guy's , I am headed to town in about an hour to buy it. That is if it is still there. Even got permission to do so, boy that is going to cost Me. :) :D
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I paid $599 last October for an as NIB .44 mag Model 94 Winchester from Cabela's, so I think that is a good price if it is near new. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I paid $599 last October for an as NIB .44 mag Model 94 Winchester from Cabela's, so I think that is a good price if it is near new. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Had mine (.45) since new from December '85--first production, with the 'Red Ryder' ring, case hardening and no safety. Definitely a keeper. Handles anything put through it, including semi-wadcutters. You will like it.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I was there when the door opened and it was still there. No haggling, He said it was a cosignment gun and couldn't do anything. So He has this Rock River H-Bar upper in the case and I asked Him what He could do on a combo purchase. He thought and thought and rubbed his chin then said $300 which I countered with $250, of course He came back with $275 ( I just Love to dicker ) Deal, He had $350 on it last Thurs. So I feel pretty good. I just don't get the Trapper till the 19th, remember I am in Ca. Please don't Raz Me over it, I feel bad enough already paying $560 and not get to bring it Home. But I did get to bring the Upper home. I will set it on a Lower tomorrow and see how it shoots.

The Trapper by the way looks to be unfired, It has a Saddle Ring and no safety. Blue book only goes to 91 for serialization. It is in the 6s I think I have dies and some Brass so will have to work up some loads.

Now for the Colt single action- but that is another chapter. Found a couple though.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Congrats! I have one in .357 and love it - rebounding hammer and all.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

You'll definitely like it. Mine is serialled 535**** from 1985, first year of production. Maybe that will help you narrow it down. Also have a 94 Trapper in .357, but a later vintage since it has the crater-safety; it handles anything--.38 or .357--fed through it (except full wadcutters), and out to 50 yards will put any and everything within a 4-inch circle, regardless of load or bullet weight, using the same sight setting and a six o'clock hold. Even so, the .45 is still the hands-down favorite.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Your gonna love it. I have had mine since 1994 and it will never leave my possession. You need to match it up with an Old Vaquero that way you can play with the heavier loads and not have to worry about it.

Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Nice Jeremy . actually I looked at 2 Colts yesterday, Looks to be same barrel lengths as Yours. They r on consign. 1 with box. But I think they r too much.$1800 & $1500. They look new, I don't know 1st from 2nd or 3rd Gen, but guessing 3rd. there is also a 22 in the case from same Guy wth box for $600. I posted a while back that I was on a quest for a Colt SA, looks like I still am.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I would like to help you with useful info on Colts but I have always been a Ruger guy and don't know anything detailed about. them.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

No safeties!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, it does, you!

You are all the original design called for.

You can easily return the trigger to original design as well.

Great find and purchase. :D
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I too today bought a Trapper in the mighty 45 Colt!

Ain't life just grand? :D

Cat
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

@ Catshooter, almost grand- U got to take Yours Home and I didn't :cry:
@ anyone-how do U determine the size of a bore should I decide to reload some ammo?
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

pwl,

Sorry you didn't get to take yours home. That's all I'll say about it. :)

Determining the bore size isn't difficult. What you need is a piece of lead that is somewhat bigger than the bore and some brass rods.

The lead alloy matters not. You can use a half inch sinker, a 45-70 slug, whatever. I use two quarter inch diameter brass rods, one about nine or ten inches long, the other longer than the longest bore I might have. If you go out and buy a rod they usually come in 36 inch lengths. Buying two works the best.

Oil the slug (with whatever oil) place it against the muzzle and start driving it with a hammer. Make real sure you don't strike the muzzle with the hammer, very bad juju if you do.

Then take your shorter rod and just start driving it down the bore. Change rods when needed. It's best not to let the slug hit the floor. When it comes out, measure it with your micrometer. Not a pair of calipers.

Your Winchester has an even number of lands and grooves, but some barrels are uneven. If so get some feeler gauges, take out the thinnest one, wrap it around the slug and measure. Then subtract twice the thickness of the feeler gauge. Easy peasy.

Now jacketed bullets are pretty easy and you don't have much in the way of choises (of diameter) anyway.

Lead is different. It cares, or it usually does. To really get the skinny on cast, go here:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

There is more correct casting knowledge there than anywhere else in the world. I use cast almost exclusivley. I worship at the altar of Reverend Elmer Keith. :)

Good luck with yours when you get it!

Cat
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

To determine size of bore, you can do a chamber and freebore into rifling cast with "Cerrosafe", available from several sources. Or you can take a known oversize soft lead bullet like a .454 for a .45 Colt of recent mfgr, and with a 3/8" WOOD or BRASS dowel, push it from the muzzle to the chamber. It oughta come out measurin' about .452!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!