Voted against China commerce with my pocketbook yesterday

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Voted against China commerce with my pocketbook yesterday

Post by cubrock »

Yesterday a $25 oil change turned into needing new tires and brakes for my work truck. I knew they needed changing, but didn't know things were as bad as they turned out to be.

As I walked back into the tire warehouse with the technician, I started noting where the tires were made. I'd never paid attention to this before. He showed me a set for $139 per tire made in the USA. So, I asked what he had that was cheaper. There was the $129 set and the $100 per tire set. I asked where they were made, but wound up having to check the labels. Why was I surprised that we sell tires made in China?

At any rate, I decided to vote with my pocketbook since I had the choice, something that isn't always true with some products. Since I had to get a more expensive set to get American made anyway, I went with the best he had - Goodyear Forterras. Paid $70 more per tire than I would have with the cheapest Chinese set, but I got a much better tire and slept better last night.

Just had to share. Lots of folks around here (that is, where I live, not on this board) would just think I was crazy for paying more.... :x
Last edited by cubrock on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.........THE TWINS..........

stormspotter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by stormspotter »

I agree 100%.

Wal-Marts new slogan should be "Spend more so China can live better"
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat . . . . Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

you're the man Cubrock.
If only the rest would,
spurgon
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

+2 ... I avoid anything from the people who brought us DEADLY dog food and POISON Christmas toys. :evil:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Goooooooood move dude :D I buy USA whenever I can. Nightmare of the day---could you imagine loading Chinese powder or primers in your ammo? It will probably happen as Accurate Arms was made in the "Republic of Checz" or however you spell it.-----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I commend you on your fiscal decision. Too many people will blindly look at nothing but price. I know it is hard for some but in the end you tend to get a better product. It has been my experience that items from China tend to be shoddy.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

One gets what one pays for - usually anyway. And it's true
that there's a price to pay to keep one's neighbors employed and
the nation strong.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

where it made

Post by dgr416 »

Walmart is killing the made in USA label.I quit buying anything except food from them after they quit selling guns.They have turned into a made in Chinia junk store.I had so much stuff I bought break from there I started sending a little more and getting way better stuff.We have to get made in the USA back someway.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Good on you Cubrock. I always try and do the same also. I refuse to buy anything that I can spare that is made in China. Just won't do it...too much at stake.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Just had to share. Lots of folks around here (that is, where I live, not on this board) would just think I was crazy for paying more.... Mad
Not me, I do the same thing when I can.
There is good (quality wise) Chinese merchandise, but I've not heard anything good regarding auto parts or tires. I will not buy the stuff.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Good for you, Cubrock! I won't buy ANYTHING made in china unless I absolutely have to have it and there is no alternative. I don't go to wal-mart, either. I think they have become an arm of the red chinese government, more or less.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The NRA is giving a leather bomber/flight jacket to new Life Members. Guess where that jacket is made... :shock:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Good on ya man.

I tried to make this last Christmas a China free Christmas. My son wanted an Ipod so that idea got killed right off. you can make a stink about ti when you buy it but if ya buy it anyway they don't care.

I try to make the right choice whenever there is a choice.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Cubrock, that's great! It's a practice I try to employ as well, even if it means spending the extra cash. There are some who would never understand....but there are many who do.

I try to buy American whenever I can.

Rob
NRA
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

:D :D :D
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

China is safe as long as Wal Mart is here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Old Savage wrote:China is safe as long as Wal Mart is here.
Too true, but I can put my money where my mouth is.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not against all trade with China. I am against us sending American jobs to a country that undercuts our labor costs by enslaving its people. I am also against our tax policies that make it so lucrative for companies to relocate their production to China.

The most annoying thing about trade with China is that the majority of the stuff we buy from there we don't need. I mean, how many cheap toys do our kids need? How many crappy auto parts? If every American family would buy less junk and spend our money responsibly, that would be a big part of the solution to the problem.
Last edited by cubrock on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.........THE TWINS..........

Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

Hobie

Last year when I upgraded to Benefactor, my gift jacket label said made in Vietnam. :( I buy American when possible.
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Cubrock,Good for You. If more Americans would think before they buy stuff made in china we could all sleep easier. Jim.
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

As a bit of icing on the cake, the U.S. Gubmint is supposedly borrowing the money for the proposed tax rebate. Guess who they are borrowing the money from. China. All in hopes that Americans will use their rebates to purchase more goods that are made in China so who really benefits from the rebate? As for myself, I'm going to buy ammo with mine.
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

WalMart is not the only store selling ChinaMade........All the stores have about the same percentage of "offshore" goods in them....
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

All of this Walmart complaining is really short sighted.

Walmart wouldn't be in business if people stopped buying their products or certain products....
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mike S. »

Good for you. I try to do the same whenever I can. I'm a carpenter and see the increasing change to china as the source of tools. Old reliable US tool brands are fast disappearing.

Mike
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mike S. »

Good for you. I try to do the same whenever I can. I'm a carpenter and see the increasing change to china as the source of tools. Old reliable US tool brands are fast disappearing.

Mike
bunklocoempire
Senior Levergunner

Post by bunklocoempire »

Ray Newman wrote:
All of this Walmart complaining is really short sighted.

Walmart wouldn't be in business if people stopped buying their products or certain products....
The problem I have (and yes, nobody asked me :lol: ) with Walmart and the China goods business is Walmart got a leg up from my government with the help of Hillary and Bill schmoozin with old man Walton (a republican) back in '86 when Hillary was a boardmember for Walmart and again when ol' Bill gave China MFN label (most favorable nation) trade status. Coincidence? Limited to democrats? Definitely not.

Now I'm all for business and trade but, seeing as I don't get any help with my business from the government, why should Walmart? Buy U.S.A. and VOTE U.S.A..

Bunkloco
“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Good on ya Cubrock!!
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Thank you for your contribution back to our great nation. You've inspired me to do the same so tomorrow I go to get a set of American made tires as well.

Thanks Cubrock.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

It probably don't amount to a hill of beans but one thing I've been doing when I buy something made in the USA (I search for these items before I buy anything) is going to the companies website and sending a short email saying that I appreciate them keeping jobs in the US and that I will be a customer as long as the do. Only takes a minute thanks to the inna-net and I've gotten replies to most so someone reads them.