OT Glaser Safety Slugs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT Glaser Safety Slugs

Post by TedH »

Anyone carry them in your defense guns? I never tried them before, but I just picked up some for my 45s. They say these are 145 gr. at a velocity of 1350 fps. Seems like they would be just the thing for home protection where penetrating an interior or exterior wall could be bad news.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT Glaser Safety Slugs

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have some for the same reason, but never have tested them to see if they perform as advertized. IIRC, the ones I picked up were actually for the .45 Colt, so no worries about feeding problems.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

These have a Hardball profile, so I would think the Glock would feed them fine. At $14.00 per 6 rounds I won't be doing an extended reliability test with them! I too would like to see some sort of performance comparison with my other carry ammo, Hornady 230 gr. XTP +P.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Years ago I read an article on loading the .38 Special with two .36-caliber round balls used in blackpowder cap & ball revolvers. You size the balls through the cylinder of the .38. I can't remember the charge, but it was relatively mild. At 7 yards it printed the pair of projectiles about an inch or so apart. A perfect load for home defense where over-penetration would be a concern.

Only problem is that it is a homeload, and I could see an over-zealous anti-gun prosecutor trying to go after someone, saying they couldn't wait to use their "home loads" on someone.

Then again, with all the "castle laws" on the books, this might be worth revisiting... Good thing about this load was it wasn't hard on the wallet, so testing it out thoroughly didn't cost you an arm and a leg!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I actually managed to hit a groundhog with one of those for the .357 Mag. Dead groundhog and right now. I felt very fortunate to actually hit the groundhog because those things did not shoot to the sights in my old Security Six. Aside from the experience of buying 2 packs of 6-rounds each and enduring my then wife's temper tantrum that was about all I got out of it. I don't think I have the second pack any more but can't remember if I shot them or gave them away.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The reviews on the Glaser are not very positive. Very little penetration on humans making a nasty surface wound, but a good chance the bad guy might not be disabled.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Back when I first started worrying about what to carry and all that, I liked the maximizing safety idea. Lately I've decided to go with the 'all handguns are underpowered' crowd, and not worry so much about anything but getting the job done. Too many question marks with those things. I remember reading about them, "the only caliber that overpenetrated a human torso was the .44 Magnum". That's a lot of energy transfer to the target, but I don't see it being worth the risk that it won't do the job. Use what works, don't reinvent the wheel.
Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

Charles wrote:The reviews on the Glaser are not very positive. Very little penetration on humans making a nasty surface wound, but a good chance the bad guy might not be disabled.
Think winter coming up. Think heavy clothing. Think hardball.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm still loaded with 230 gr. +P Hornady XTP's. Looks like I'll stick with those. I just had never heard any reviews about the Glasers.
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm not sure they would be all that good for home defence. When I shot some back in the late 70's I remember a brilliant 4' fireball in broad daylight. That was from a 4" .357. YMMV
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Not on the street. For a while I kept them in my home defense handgun, but now that the kids are gone, and it's just me and the wife, I'm not too concerned about where everyone is, especially at night. On the plus side, when they were new, I tried a .38 spl round on a jack rabbit. If the hare was any indication, they would really make a nasty soft tissue wound with massive blood loss. Still have some floating around, think I'll take a few next time we go busting jacks. :twisted:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

They do work but apparently not against anyone in heavy clothing (leather jacket, winter coat, etc).

Used against a typical t-shirt clad individual, there's been several good shoots with them over the years.

That said for the cost, I'd rather use Federal HST, Winchester Ranger SXT or any other good JHP load.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

My wife keeps them in her Walther .32 PP, but since she absconded with my Colt Mustang, she's packing Hydroshocks now...And yes, I'm still a littlie irritated over losing my Colt to her CCH...

Ed
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Cruise wrote:
Charles wrote:The reviews on the Glaser are not very positive. Very little penetration on humans making a nasty surface wound, but a good chance the bad guy might not be disabled.
Think winter coming up. Think heavy clothing. Think hardball.[/quote

True statement, I have seen a subject shot in the chest right over the heart with Winchester Silver Tips out of a 4in .357 Mag at 15 yds and not penetrate, after going through a down vest, enough to kill.
I have carried glazers for a long time but there is almost no penetration. I have used them on animals and the wounds are impressive on entry. I carry them mainly in smaller calibers when I fell I can almost get contact wounds before I use them. (The best way for the target to find out you have a gun is when it goes off)
It is not the critic who counts
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I'd have a hard time citing the references at this point, but I conglomerated the wisdom I found at the time and decided that I would 'mix' them with good HPs when I did carry them. Say, one Glaser in the chamber, and the mag would be stacked with
HP
HP
Glaser
HP
HP
Glaser

and so on.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I did a few tests way back when, but testing was limited due to equally limited finances.

I do believe that a well placed frontal shot will stop a nude man or an aggressor watermelon. I personally witnessed its devastation on the melon. Beyond that, I would opt for solid lead or copper or a combination of both.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

All I can say is that In the mid 80's, I worked at a gun store where I carried Glaser Safety rounds in my sidearm. Three guys came in to rob the store with three of us armed store workers. I was the guy out front on the register. None of the three guys that walked in were vertical when the smoke cleared. They made a bad choice. I fired 6 shots that day. It was early fall, they had light jackets on, where they hid the mossberg 500 pistol grip shotgun, and two cheap semi's bought in that very same store weeks before, until they got through the door shouting. Double tap to three targets from behind the counter, ended the threat. Performance was very satisfactory on that day, in that situation.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

When the Glaser's first came out they were advertised as a pre-fragmented round primarily for use in courthouses, hospitals, aircraft and such so as to minimize the possiblity of a ricochet off a hard surface in the event of a miss and to minimize over-penetration. For that purpose they work very well. Pentration test have shown that they don't work well against heavy clothing, walls or autos....which is exactly what they were designed to do. They were originally nicknamed, before any actual shooting cases were examined, the surgeon's nightmare.

From my own personal testing, someone in shirtsleeves or a windbreaker is NOT going to enjoy being shot with them. 4-4.5" of penetration thru the sturnum is going to reak havoc with a perp's cardiovascular system. The first two rounds in my 5-shot .357 snub are Glaser's, the other three are Remington 125gr JHP's.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

firefuzz wrote:...The first two rounds in my 5-shot .357 snub are Glaser's, the other three are Remington 125gr JHP's.
Rob
Now, THAT should work!
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

TedH wrote:Anyone carry them in your defense guns? I never tried them before, but I just picked up some for my 45s. They say these are 145 gr. at a velocity of 1350 fps. Seems like they would be just the thing for home protection where penetrating an interior or exterior wall could be bad news.
Hey, you've got the gel mix :wink:
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Jason_W wrote:
Hey, you've got the gel mix :wink:

Yeah, if I can ever get the time to mix some up and have room for it in the fridge! :oops: I haven't forgot about ya.
NRA Life Member
Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

This site was posted over on the 1911 board and it seems to be a pretty complete comparison of various service and self defense loads to compare with the Glaser rounds.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The hallway to our bedroom runs past my kids rooms so I stoke the home defense gun in that area of my house with them. It's all about safety and not necessarily the best killing tool in this case for me (they will reportedly not make it through a house wall). I wouldn't use them in any other situation.

Choose wisely. :wink:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I forgot to mention, the ones I bought are the Silver Safety Slugs. They are supposed to give a little better penetration than the blue ones. I decided to stagger them, two Glasers, XTP, Glaser, XTP, and so on.
NRA Life Member
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

One like on the right:

inverted 125 grain .45 HB wadcutter

shot into water jugs at 1150 fps, recovered at .820" diameter, the major piece weighed over 100 grains, and the three of em over 115 grains. Ended up in the second jug, which is not a whole lot, but, two or three of them in the torso is gonna be a very bad situation.....
Certified gun nut