OT: What Are YOU Going To Buy For The Centennial ? ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

OT: What Are YOU Going To Buy For The Centennial ? ?

Post by Pete44ru »

While recognizing that this forum is dedicated to leverguns, I can also recognize that some levergunners are dedicated to the 1911 pistol -

WHICH WILL BE CELEBRATING IT'S 100th BIRTHDAY NEXT YEAR !

I'm saving my pennies, so I can buy one of those new/georgeous Remington 1911-R1 .45's in 2011.

Anyone else care to play ? :mrgreen:

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: What Are YOU Going To Buy For The Centennial ? ?

Post by TedH »

I would love to get a Kimber Super Carry Ultra. I better start saving some pennies too.
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I think I'm with Pete44ru.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Kimber Centennial Edition

The new Remington

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If I got another, it would be a Para Ordnance stainless double-stack. Or a Rock Island clone. I don't really 'need' the extra rounds, but I have large enough hands that the regular 1911 grip feels like holding a deck of cards - too thin to really get a 'grip' on.

I had a Para-LDA, and it was AWESOME if you like double-actions. The trigger pull on those is unlike any firearm I've ever had. Long, but so light it almost reminds me of a Contender.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, since next year is still far enough away that I might have a chance to buy one, I'd like a real, genuine, Colt Government Model, or a really military 1911a1.
Other than that I'd look at the Springfield 1911a1 mil spec if they still make them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Y2K will get a 1911. Haven't told him yet, but this is perfect timing! :D
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Ok, now I want one (wanted one for decades)..

Not up on the various models But my candy store has a couple of good guys on the 1911
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

something to think about......

What a Wild Bunch...you guys are.... :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:While recognizing that this forum is dedicated to leverguns, I can also recognize that some levergunners are dedicated to the 1911 pistol -

WHICH WILL BE CELEBRATING IT'S 100th BIRTHDAY NEXT YEAR !

I'm saving my pennies, so I can buy one of those new/georgeous Remington 1911-R1 .45's in 2011.

Anyone else care to play ? :mrgreen:

I think you've made an EXCELLENT choice. I haven't shot one but the three I've seen looked to be consistently quality.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

While this may be considered blaspheme, I don't find the 1911 platform appealing at all. Even though I carried one for 3 yrs in the Army and used it in combat, I don't think that they are a good choice for me. The thin grip is hard for me to get a solid grip on, the heavy weight for the limited rounds is a drawback, their notoriously finicky feeding of some bullet styles, and the fact that most, if not all 1911 style pistols sold today require significant work just to get them to run turns me off. It's true that the 1911 is a wonderful piece of history and revolutionary in it's design but like the flintlock, it's been passed by more modern, more reliable designs.

I demand absolute reliability in a CCW or HD weapon. Modern combat pistols are much better suited for my needs without all the hassles of the 1911 platforms. For example, my HD Glock 22 has well over 27,000rds through it and my CCW Glock 23 has 4,700rds through it, both without a single failure. That's right, directly out of the box, no adjustments, no tweaking, no issues. I just cleaned them lightly and they run. And my Glocks aren't unique as all but a few defective ones run perfectly right out of the box. I've shot many different bullet weights, bullet types, and loads through them and they've eaten everything I've fed them.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

yeah, oh well.........

Meahwhile, here's Colt's offering:

JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

COSteve wrote:While this may be considered blaspheme, I don't find the 1911 platform appealing at all. Even though I carried one for 3 yrs in the Army and used it in combat, I don't think that they are a good choice for me. The thin grip is hard for me to get a solid grip on, the heavy weight for the limited rounds is a drawback, their notoriously finicky feeding of some bullet styles, and the fact that most, if not all 1911 style pistols sold today require significant work just to get them to run turns me off. It's true that the 1911 is a wonderful piece of history and revolutionary in it's design but like the flintlock, it's been passed by more modern, more reliable designs.

I demand absolute reliability in a CCW or HD weapon. Modern combat pistols are much better suited for my needs without all the hassles of the 1911 platforms. For example, my HD Glock 22 has well over 27,000rds through it and my CCW Glock 23 has 4,700rds through it, both without a single failure. That's right, directly out of the box, no adjustments, no tweaking, no issues. I just cleaned them lightly and they run. And my Glocks aren't unique as all but a few defective ones run perfectly right out of the box. I've shot many different bullet weights, bullet types, and loads through them and they've eaten everything I've fed them.
While I do agree that 1911's are heavy and low capacity, it IS a 45 and some of that capacity can be negated by effective force... :)

I have a special place in my heart for 1911's, but I do see the Glock being the next "icon", if you will.

It has all the mechanical advantage of the 1911, but is simplified to maintain reliability and user friendly charachteristics.

The 1911 is the greatest pistol design of it's time and I would never besmirch that honor, but I do feel the Glock is the design for the next hundred years, especially in a fighting/CCW/self defense role...

Yes, Springfield does still manufacture the Mil Spec and mine runs flawlessly.

1911's are beautiful and effective, Glocks are beautiful in their in simplicity and reliability....
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've had a number of 1911's over time and enjoyed shooting them. If a guy wants one, that's reason enough to get one, centennial or not.

They're fun guns, but they arent very practical as a field gun where I'm at. I have an early 1911 (1914), but it just doesnt do much for me, practically or emotionally. It wouldnt be my first choice for any purpose, in the mountains or not, and would likely be one of the first to go if I had to thin down the handgun pile. I just havent had the stellar reliability results that others have had in the dozen or more (mostly older Colts) I've had, nor does the round have very impressive terminal performace compared to most revolver rounds I've used in the field.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'll be looking for a 70 Series Commander or a full size 38 Super.

I need to replace the Delta (long story) in the stable.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had a Glock 36, the single stack .45acp, and it would jam with blazers. The Para 1911 and the Kimber will eat any kind of cheap stuff I run thru them. Needless to say, the good stuff runs thru them perfectly, too.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Lest you all think I'm a 1911 hater, consider this from my post above, "It's true that the 1911 is a wonderful piece of history and revolutionary in it's design..." I love the genius of John Brown's design. They are beautiful and absolutely iconic firearms, however, today you can get a full size 45acp with higher capacity, lighter weight, and better ergonomics that is reliable right out of the box at a considerably cheaper price.

A pistol collector wouldn't be worth his salt without an example of one but some of us don't collect them, we buy only what we shoot; and we shoot a lot. For my defensive firearm choices, reliability and ergonomics trump nostalgia every time.
Steve
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Have been yearning for a Kimber .22, might be a good excuse to get one.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

COSteve wrote:Lest you all think I'm a 1911 hater, consider this from my post above, "It's true that the 1911 is a wonderful piece of history and revolutionary in it's design..." I love the genius of John Brown's design. They are beautiful and absolutely iconic firearms, however, today you can get a full size 45acp with higher capacity, lighter weight, and better ergonomics that is reliable right out of the box at a considerably cheaper price.

A pistol collector wouldn't be worth his salt without an example of one but some of us don't collect them, we buy only what we shoot; and we shoot a lot. For my defensive firearm choices, reliability and ergonomics trump nostalgia every time.
+1

This is the point I was trying to make. Thank you, sir! :)
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I'm thinking hard about a stainless Colt with the rail.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

JohnB wrote:
COSteve wrote:Lest you all think I'm a 1911 hater, consider this from my post above, "It's true that the 1911 is a wonderful piece of history and revolutionary in it's design..." I love the genius of John Brown's design. They are beautiful and absolutely iconic firearms, however, today you can get a full size 45acp with higher capacity, lighter weight, and better ergonomics that is reliable right out of the box at a considerably cheaper price.

+1

This is the point I was trying to make. Thank you, sir! :)
So for me the plastic fantastics so in vogue do not fit my hand. My reactionary arms are as fully reliable and accurate as those "tupperware jobs" so many love. The point is that you should get what feels right for you. It is enough to say that you'd prefer a Glock 21. However, for a CENTENNIAL celebration it seems something traditional might be in order... maybe a Thompson SMG! :wink: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Hobie wrote:So for me the plastic fantastics so in vogue do not fit my hand.
Absolutely a valid point. We each have to get what fits us because we are all unique. I can't get a solid grip on any 1911 because the grip is too thin for my hand. I added a Hogue HandAll to my G20/21 Glock and it's fine. Heck, a LAR Grizzly has a perfect grip size for my mit.
Steve
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Don't think I'll be getting another anytime soon. I don't shoot the few I have enough as it is.

But, on D-day +66yr, I did pick up a prk'd Springfield GI to replace the one I sold to get my 45colt Trapper. I paired it with my trusty old Ka-Bar. Then bought the Band of Brothers DVD set, To Hell and Back (Audie Murphy), and bought the Saving Private Ryan DVD to replace the VHS.

I definitely wouldn't mind picking up a new roll mark colt 1991a1 to go with my old roll mark.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

If I were to buy a 1911, I think Kimber or STI would get my $. But I'm with COSteve, the newer platforms fit me better. After messing around with an FNP-40, I think I'd buy the FN 45 if I were to buy a .45ACP.

rimrock
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I guess you had to be here but a few minutes ago Jr. was sitting here and he read this post. Then he read the tittle of the post out loud... there was a pause, then he says, Mom's gonna freak! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know it might not be too funny in print but it gave me an honest 3 minutes of good old fashioned belly laughing. Jr. will be 22 next week and is old enough to buy his own 1911.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I would most like to find an original Colt made in the early 1940's but somehow maintained in a hermetically sealed container.

Since I won't be able to afford that, I will look for a Kimber. They don't give those away either. But that Cenntennial looks beautiful.

By the way +1 on the comment above about Para USA LDA pistols. I love mine.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I would like to have a Colt with the 1911-2011 logo, but I want it to be traditional with the same high polish blue that my 1954 Commander has. Arched main spring housing, wide spur hammer, no beavertail, no extended anything. Just a classic look for THE classic handgun.

I have a Kimber Custom (original, not II) that is a GREAT shooter, a Springfield GI, that I installed a wide spur hammer and a Colt WWI repro thumb safety (still need a checkered slide lock/release and a checkered mainspring housing) a stainless Series 80 Colt Government Model and the above mentioned Colt Commander.

My Kimber is by far my best shooting 1911 but TO ME, nothing says 1911 like Colt.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I do like those new Remington R1s. And I am seriously thinking about getting a Springer GI Micro.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I don't know if I will buy another 1911, as I have plenty of them. I love 1911's, and I have been shooting them for over 30yrs. I have shot a lot of competition and carried one form or another of the 1911 for my main CCW guns for years. They are still my favorite semi-auto pistol.

However, the 1911 just might need to be an expert's gun, where IMHO there is no better gun, but unforunately there are a lot of clones out there, and a lot of changes from the original being offered by the manufactures, and often they do need a little help, to get ironed out, but many still do work perfectly out of the box.

As far as reliability goes, I will put my personal 1911's up against any combat pistol, and a good well built 1911 is often more accurate then the newer plastic wonders.

If guns are not outlawed completely, the 1911 will live to see another hundred years.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

One Gold Cup here please !! :D :D If i want to go "modern" -- almost anything from Nighthawk will fill the bill (my stealership is a Nighthawk stocking retailer -- so these darn things torture me a couple of times a month)
----- Doug
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

COSteve wrote:While this may be considered blaspheme, I don't find the 1911 platform appealing at all. Even though I carried one for 3 yrs in the Army and used it in combat, I don't think that they are a good choice for me. The thin grip is hard for me to get a solid grip on, the heavy weight for the limited rounds is a drawback, their notoriously finicky feeding of some bullet styles, and the fact that most, if not all 1911 style pistols sold today require significant work just to get them to run turns me off. It's true that the 1911 is a wonderful piece of history and revolutionary in it's design but like the flintlock, it's been passed by more modern, more reliable designs.

Well then I guess the original question posed wasn't aimed at you! Some people have nothing but black or camouflaged plastic-fantastic rifles in their sheds and zero lever guns. I couldn't care less.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

A nice, vintage Super .38 has been calling to me for many years.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I DID IT ! ! !

I didn't wanna wait until the end of the year, so today I had a local FFL order in a new Remington 1911 R1.

I don't expect to see it until sometime next week, after a looong weekend - but I intend to shoot it a bit & post a pic or two, afterwards.