OT 53 turkeys in the yard right now

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

OT 53 turkeys in the yard right now

Post by pharmseller »

It's actually kinda creepy seeing this big flock flow through the yard, heads down, pecking at this and that. All hunched over, jerky steps, going in the same general direction. I'll probably see them sweep by again later this afternoon.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Sorry, I got the count wrong. They moved out of the trees into the meadow in a long, broad line, so I got to count again. Most of them are just standing around looking at each other in the rain. The new total is 102, a new record.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

An old time Mainer, who is a lifelong hunter and owns 100s of acres of woodlands, told me recently that the rampant increase in the number of turkeys is the main reason for the decline of deer in his woods. They compete for food and the turkey are devouring the acorns.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What ......... no pictures :?:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Turkeys are growing in numbers rapidly here in Oregon because they've learned to stay near houses where they wont get hunted.
Many parts of Oregon where tukeys were transplanted, they have become almost domesticated. Folks that don't hunt feed them and protect them. The rest of us pay for F&G to raise and transplant them.
Hope they're still in your yard come spring turkey season!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Gotta keep the camera handy
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Camera and a "punt" gun! Just kidding really, but sounds like you have a good Turkey season there!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think I might "trick" some of those smart birds that are staying close to the house. Maybe just one.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Snares work pretty darn good too.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I've caught them bare handed, too. Not much sport.

Quinn

bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

That is what archery equipment is made for. The same thing is happening in my part of the world. Many animals such as deer and turkey are learning to live behind houses and in small patches of woodland. The bow and arrow is ideal for that .

I've taken a lot of deer in what you could call a suburban environment. Take some turkey with the bow.