OT:Any Active Duty Recruiters around here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT:Any Active Duty Recruiters around here?

Post by awp101 »

The Boy (aka my 19 y/o stepson) is making noises about enlisting and has been talking with a Marine recruiter(no, not JReed :lol: ). Of course his Mama is freaking out and her and his half brother (whose Dad was career AF and an ossifer the last 20+ years of his career) want to talk him into the AF since it's "safer".

Naturally it falls to be to be the neutral observer and do a little research before offering advice to The Boy.

When I enlisted in the Army in '96, I was told the Army was the only branch that guaranteed your MOS in the contract. Is this still true? It didn't matter to me since I was going Army anyway.

Can he take the ASVAB and then talk to a recruiter from any branch or does he have to take the ASVAB for each branch? I think it would help he decide if he knew what he was qualified for before settling on a branch.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT:Any Active Duty Recruiters around here?

Post by wecsoger »

He takes ASVAB. Based on scores will determine what branch(es) he's eligible for. It's USAF, Navy, Marines, Army in that order. Not that the Army is the bottom of the barrel but they do cover a lot of career fields.

Every branch will give you a guaranteed MOS, AFSC or whatever, but you have to be careful in dealing with the recruiters.

Go here:

http://www.military.com/

and go to their Features page. There is a wealth of straight up, honest material on everything from prepping for the ASVAB, what to do before, during and after Basic and much, much more. If you're not that computer literate, post and I'll provide you with direct links.

I can say something good and bad about every branch of the service. And some folks are a better 'fit' for some branches than others.

Me, semi-retired (waiting for 60) USAF SMSgt, (E-8 for you other branches) and I've done Reserve, Nat'l Guard, contingency activation, Active duty. Haven't done it all, but done a lot.

It's a life-changing decision and rarely to the negative. He could do worse.

Please post on what's he's going to do.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

What ever he is told get it in writing. I have been in the AF/ANG as a full time Technician for 26 years. My career field is Metals Tech 2A7X1, that's machine and welding shop. We don't sleep in dirt piles and take shower every day. The deployments are not near as long as the others either. I have a skill that is viable on the outside world also. Just some things to think about. Good luck to him.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks! I can't believe I didn't think to hit military.com...DOH!

Get it in writing, absolutely. :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

DO NOT let anyone push him into a branch he isn't really interested in. I wanted to join the Marines for a very long time, but my father talked me into the navy instead. I was absolutely miserable for twelve years. I stayed in that long for all the wrong reasons. By the time I finally got fed up and just left, my record was such that I couldn't get into the Marines or the Regular Army. Now I am in the NG, which I initially liked, but I grew very frustrated with it. Now I am 41, angry and bitter. I will retire this winter, with twenty-one years of service, and I have nothing to show for it.

Bottom line, let him go where he wants to go.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Otto wrote: Bottom line, let him go where he wants to go.
As a former recruiter, I have to agree with this. He is not a high school kid, he is 19 years old and capable of making his own decisions. If he wants to be a Marine, then so be it. It is an honorable thing to do. Back him up all the way and be proud he is a son that WANTS to be a Marine.
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

Otto wrote:Bottom line, let him go where he wants to go.
I also agree with this ^^^

Yes, the USAF has been good to me for the last 21.5 years, but I won't force a decisions on my Son, who is starting JROTC this year, on which branch to join if that is what he ends up wanting to do. I can give him the pros/cons of the Air Force, but it'll be up to him on which one. Mom may have a say in the matter though :mrgreen:

I Retire next year :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks! I'm not going to push him one way or the other outside of I'd prefer he go AD and get out from under Mama's wing. He needs to do some growing up she isn't prepared to let him do while he's still here.

He's got some knucklehead to him (hey, who doesn't at 19?) and stubbornness to boot. I figure he either won't adapt and not make through Basic or he'll buckle down and come out of his time in the service with every "attaboy" you can get.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

A guarantee is only as good as the boy's effort. If he fails to try the guarantee is nothing. That is the best thing about the military, despite its faults it is a meritocracy. Yes, I know that more than cream floats, but by and large...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

I agree with the others- let him go into whichever branch he wants to. It's his decision, otherwise he'll blame whomever he listened to if it's not what he wanted.

I will add this though- If I had it to do over again, I'd go reserves from the get go, then to college and then try for OCS. If that didn't work out I'd still have the option of going full time or staying reserve. Getting an education, making it through OCS and being commissioned would be the topping. But we all know the Enlisted rule! :mrgreen:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Totally agree about pointing him at the info and letting him decide. Regarding sleeping in the dirt and not showering for weeks, some folks actually WANT that experience vs. being an in-flight guided missile repair technician. Plenty of options and no need to hurry the decision. It doesn't sound like he'd be interested given that he's thinking Marines but don't forget the Coast Guard as well.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

have him look into a army avn mos.I loved it :D .

fwiw when I joined the army a friend joined the AF both of us had a avn mos.when I made SGT he was still a E-3 :lol: so much for the showers :mrgreen:I had more money for soap.
DAV life member.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Hey I PM'd you my number. I am a Marine Recruiter feel free to call.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

olyinaz wrote: Regarding sleeping in the dirt and not showering for weeks, some folks actually WANT that experience vs. being an in-flight guided missile repair technician.
Oly
Hey what do you have against missile techs :?: :D Until we got rid of them I was a tech on HAWK and the Avenger system. Not every thing we do in the Corps is sleeping in the dirt.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The often forgotten Coast Guard wasn't mentioned. I have done recruiting for them in the past when I was between assignments. I could answer any questions you or he may have. There are a lot of career fields and a good chance to pick a State. You mentioned "safer", and I suppose it could be compared to the green uniforms. Overall, he should be encouraged to join whatever service interests him.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
timkelley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by timkelley »

Tell him what I told my kids, Three services ride (Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard), Two services walk (Army, Marines), make you're own "informed" decision.
Thanx, Tim Kelley
NRA Life
SFC US Army Ret.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

JReed wrote:
olyinaz wrote: Regarding sleeping in the dirt and not showering for weeks, some folks actually WANT that experience vs. being an in-flight guided missile repair technician.
Oly
Hey what do you have against missile techs :?: :D Until we got rid of them I was a tech on HAWK and the Avenger system. Not every thing we do in the Corps is sleeping in the dirt.
Hey it's all good brother! Out in the dirt or in the rear with the gear - my hat's off to every one of you folks in every uniform. :)

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

olyinaz wrote:
JReed wrote:
Oly
Hey it's all good brother! Out in the dirt or in the rear with the gear - my hat's off to every one of you folks in every uniform. :)

Best,
Oly
Just havin fun :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

86er wrote:The often forgotten Coast Guard wasn't mentioned. I have done recruiting for them in the past when I was between assignments. I could answer any questions you or he may have. There are a lot of career fields and a good chance to pick a State. You mentioned "safer", and I suppose it could be compared to the green uniforms. Overall, he should be encouraged to join whatever service interests him.

Some very choice assignments on the Great Lakes for people wanting to
serve their country. Lots of States border the Great Lakes, 8 to be exact.
I'm a Michigan boy, so I'm biased :)

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

JReed wrote:
Oly
You missed the "in flight" part...99Z! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Well, I got a little more info. He's been talking with a Marine recruiter since January. According to the recruiter his ASVAB scores were 55 and up across the board and his reasons for joining are to grow up and learn self discipline. Now maybe the years of me being a hard butt will count for something! :lol:

Oh, wanna know how I got this info? His Mama snuck the name out of The Boy in conversation and called the recruiter... :roll:

I've started calling her Marie after the Mom in Everybody Loves Raymond.... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Tell him good job on the ASVAB that is a good score :D . National average is 49-50 this is not a percentage scale.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Kind of like buying a car, just shop around and make a sound decision from there. Once he is committed and signs it ain't easy to return it. Good luck.