OT- metal detecting finds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

OT- metal detecting finds

Post by Mike D. »

This may not be completely off topic because it does involve a bullet that could have been fired from a levergun. :roll:

This afternoon I went detecting at a site here in town that today had 12" of soil removed by heavy equipment. Back in the mid to late 19th Century a saloon occupied the lot we were searching and our original intent was to find bottles. I had dug there in prior years, excavating the privy pits that were shown on period fire insurance maps. Now that the gravel and other surface debris has been taken away a large expanse of clean dirt is available to look at. After working back and forth on the area in front of where the building once stood I got a nice steady beep, indicating something non-ferrous just beneath the surface. After pinpointing the location I worked my tool around the area and removed a 6" circle of dirt. After cleaning some loose soil with my fingers a beautiful belt buckle was laying in sight. Wouldn't you know it, I had left the camera at home, so was unable to get the usual in-situ photo. Here is what I found uncleaned and covered in dirt. The eagle is grasping olive branches, so it is most likely pre-Civil War, but some research will tell exactly what age it is.ImageImage

Close to the buckle another signal sounded. too bad it was only a lead bullet mushroomed from impact. The caliber is .458 and it weighs 395.5 grains after being in the ground for at least a Century, and probably considerably longer. It looks to have possibly been fired from a rifle with a 4 groove barrel. The lands are very narrow and the grooves approximately 3/8" wide. It was probably a 405 grain 45-70 projectile, but could also be any .45 caliber rifle cartridge.Image

Other brass items were found, but no coins, so far. We will be back tomorrow morning. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
RobertS
Levergunner

Re: OT- metal detecting finds

Post by RobertS »

Great, what a find. I've never found anything that I could identify, but it's a lot of fun anyway. Good luck tomorrow!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Mike,

Very Interesting to say the least! Would love to be there, and watch. I talked about getting a metal detector some day, and now after seeing what you found may get one real soon! Please update this if you find anything else.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Here ya go mike. Does it look like this one?
http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-109-33-186 ... -belt.aspx
KSFlatheadhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KSFlatheadhunter »

Very interesting!

You may remember several years back when they redid the "porch" area outside of the Irma Hotel in Cody, WY they found a Winnie 92 or 94 trapper in the dirt. I am not sure if they used a metal detector or not to find the gun but your bullet find reminded me of that.

Darin
I can all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Life is hard, it is harder if your stupid. John Wayne
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It turns out to be a 1860 US Army sword belt plate. It's 2111 here in CA and I'm hitting the hay. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Makes you wonder if they guy that was wearing the buckle is the one that caused to the bullet to expand?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Great find. Well done!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

What do you do with all these goodies you find? You've shown so much that it makes me want to break out my old metal detector, put in a new battery and see what I can find.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have a small and selective collection of buckles, mostly the waist belt type with round two piece design. Buckles like this one are sold to promote the hobby and allow others to own a nice piece if they are unable to locate them on their own. Although complete, this example has suffered some corrosion from being buried in contaminated soil. It is valued at $125 in the condition that it is in and I have an interested collector on the hook. I don't touch these things with any cleaners, wire brushes or buffers. They are only soaked in hot hydrogen peroxide for 1/2 hour and rinsed in cool water. There is marked improvement over the original, dirty shape it was in yesterday. The arrows and olive branches in the eagle's talons are clearly visible over the wreath. A mint, never buried sword belt plate of this type would sell easily for $300.Image
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Nice find Mike. Keep us posted on any future discoveries at the site.