OT Does anyone have any experience with Echo chainsaws?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

OT Does anyone have any experience with Echo chainsaws?

Post by piller »

I am in the market for a new chainsaw as both of my Poulans have decided to quit and the parts to fix them cost as much as a new saw of the same size will. That is if I do the work. I have looked at some and the Echo sold by Home Depot looks good. Does anyone know these saws and have any opinions of them?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT Does anyone have any experience with Echo chainsaws?

Post by JB »

I've been told their saws are excellent. They aren't that well known around my area. Here, it isn't orange (Husqvarna Or Stihl) they just aren't popular.

I do know the Echo weed trimmers are extremely well thought of among professional lawn care folks. I've had one for several years and it's a well built machine.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I can't comment on Echo. I can say that two Homelite saws were inexpensive compared to other brands and last over 10 years each. A Stihl has been good too but is finicky on starting ever so often. Good luck with your search.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Yep I bought an Echo two years ago to replace a Poulan. The echo cuts about 30% more wood in the same amount of time and starts a little easier than the Poulan. It is a rock solid machine with only one weak point that I can see, the screws that hold on the cover vibrate loose and I have to carry spares as they get lost. I cut many cords of wood a year and some big red elm trees and hackberry, which is some pretty tough stuff. The Echo zips right through. My buddy works for a tree service and they have been using Echo for a few years and he is the one who insisted I get the Echo this time around.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

A recent magazine test said that they were just fine for what they are: inexpensive saws that don't claim to be top of the line but do claim to work well and give good value.

A Husky or Stihl is no doubt the better saw but it'll cost more so I guess it should be.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I agree completely with OlyinAZ.

To add, I had to deal with Echo customer service in the past. They quickly took care of the issue with no problems.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Echo is a well respected brand in the Commercial lawn & garden service business.

I have an Echo weed wacker for 25 years and it's still going strong.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Echos are good saws, poulan are good to if you get the pro models the orange ones they are owned by Husky and made in Canada. danny
Adobe Walls
Levergunner

Post by Adobe Walls »

Howdy.

Experience with chainsaws yes, but not with Echo. However, I did use, abuse, and run the fire out of an Echo string trimmer/brush cutter every summer for nearly 8 years in some extreme service and was impressed with that machine. My general impression is that Echo is good stuff. I also have a Mantis mini tiller that has an Echo engine on it and it is a real good unit. If there is a negative regarding Echo, I'd say it's the parts (and cost) and dealer support or rather the lack of widespread authorized Echo dealers WITH repair shops. If you get it from the big box store you will immediately be directed to a servicing shop that may or may not be convenient or otherwise perfectly acceptable to you. If I were shopping for a new saw personally, I would tend to lean towards Jonsered, Husqvarna, and Stihl. There are simply more places that are servicing dealers for those brands and many of the parts for Jonsered, Husqvarna, and also Poulan are interchangable. The quality and durability of those machines varies from model to model so you still need to choose carefully. This is the difference between commercial rated vs a "homeowner" model. A servicing dealer selling any power equipment is, or should be in a position to advise you more knowledgeably on the various models in regards to the level of saw that you would best be served by. For a mail order company that sells chainsaws and logging supplies that I can recommend without reservation is Bailey's out of California. Their discounted prices and fairly wide selection of saw brands (including Echo) will make you think the local prices are off the charts and have been for years. That company was founded by and has been catering to the professional sawyer since the 70's and is now in their second generation of a family owned business. They are very professonal and helpful over the phone with questions. Hope this helps your saw shopping without too much info....AW
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Pillar...I bought my first Echo saw about 25 years ago, a hard used 500EVL that had done several years duty with the fire crews here in AK. I took it in one day for a minor repair only to find out that there was a recall of some sort and walked out with a NEW 550 (at no cost to me!)

I have used that saw for the last twenty or so years for my firewood, building cabins, milling lumber and timbers for a historical restoration on a Sternwheeler and have yet to to find an excuse to take it to the shop to see if there has been another recall :lol:

I also have two of their little trim saws that I use for topping trees, trim work on log homes, (one went to Nicaragua with me and I used it to do most of the framing on an orphanage since electrical power was "iffy" at best)

I used (HARD!!) their brush cutters to do ROW clearing for several seasons with the power company and have a personal one I use to manage my somewhat rustic lawn.

These saws have all been used in extreem cold conditions and have traveled in various boats, planes, snowmachines and the ARGO, taking a beating and they continue to give me good service.

I do have a local shop/dealership for parts and service on the rare occasion that I need a little part.

Not to say that a Stihl or Husky would not appeal to me, but I have yet to wear out my Echo's

My Best,

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

No experience with Echo chainsaws, but I have one of their weed whackers, which is excellent. Made here, too. If this one wears out, I'll get another Echo.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I kinda consider them to be a one notch down Japanese Stihl.
I prefer the Stihl(got a Stihl 260 Pro)I love it,but hear the Echos are great saws as well. :wink:
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I have never used an Echo saw, I do have some experience with their string trimmers and they seem like a quality product.

What I will say is that I have both a 345 and 350 Husqvarna. Trust me, if you are used to running a Poulan even the little 16 inch 345 will totally rock your world.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill