Cody Museum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Cody Museum

Post by BwanaDave »

I have been wandering around and I went through Cody last week. I stopped at the Cody firearms museum and all I have to say is WOW. Levergun Nirvana! They have TR's 1895 on display and more colts than you can imagine. Put it on youir bucket list.

Dave
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cody Museum

Post by RIHMFIRE »

always wanted to go there.....
how big is the place and what else is there?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Leaving for Yellowstone this weekend for the family vacation. Should be at the museum on Monday . Can't wait.
MrJudgeOC
Levergunner

Post by MrJudgeOC »

It's huge, part of four museums all together. Art, plains indian and buffalo bill. I've been often and never tire of it. I like a day and a half to relax and see it all. There are a bunch of things to do while in the Cody area and one could spend a week having fun. One of my favorite places in the world. Right up there with the smithsonian.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

MrJudgeOC wrote:It's huge, part of four museums all together. Art, plains indian and buffalo bill. I've been often and never tire of it. I like a day and a half to relax and see it all. There are a bunch of things to do while in the Cody area and one could spend a week having fun. One of my favorite places in the world. Right up there with the smithsonian.
You all must go see it! It's stunning! A modern building with thousands and thousands of firearms displayed in a well lit, beautiful setting. And it's not just about leverguns. The have virtually every type of firearm ever made and they all look in mint condition. There are some old west saloons in town and its a fun place to knock around either coming from or going to the Yellowstone east entrance.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I highly recommend it also. I haven't been in a decade or so and am looking forward to getting back, my 30 year HS reunion is in 2013(Deer Lodge MT) so I may go and make a couple weeks of it. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

You cant do it in a day, you need two or three days just to do the whole museum with any hope of absorbing what is there. Cody is more of a destination than a side-trip, although many tourists just pass through or spend a few hours, to their detriment. A two week stay in Cody and touring around the vicinity is not a bad idea at all.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That place is unbelievable. I went expecting to stay a couple hours and ended up closing them down and going back the next day. Any one who loves guns and history should go.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

The Buffalo Bill Historical Center is a wondrous place, and Cody is a great little town! Actually, the historical center houses five museums: Firearms, Buffalo Bill, Plains Indians, Western Art and Yellowstone Natural History, as well as a research library. I've been there many times, and I always look forward to going back. Here's a link to the center's site:

http://www.bbhc.org/home/

A full week would not be too much time to see the center and the town.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Its on the list of the things I must see and do in my life
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Make sure you spend more than one day in the museum. I think three days is minimum. I don't know if it is still open to the public, but, at one time you could go down stairs to the gun room to see the hundreds of Winchesters and others that are still being cataloged and are not even on public display. I hope it is still open because it is a levergunner's dream.

There are a number of things to do in and around the Cody area. There are several historical buildings and restaurants in town and there are numerous vistas all around the Cody area if you have the time. Along the way to Yellowstone's east entrance (west from Cody) is a beautiful drive towards Buffalo Bill Dam and Pahaska Tepee. As you can imagine, there are several sites named because of Buffalo Bill Cody. If you are driving into Cody from the south you can stop at one of my favorite little towns, Meeteetse. Not much there, but if you are from others parts of the USA it is fun to see the little mountain towns. Lots of big country.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I rode my bike right by it on a trip out west several years ago. I wanted to stop but my buddy had no interest in it. I figured it was no big deal I'd return another time. Thats been 15 years and I'm still talking about it but have yet to get there again.