reloading start

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

reloading start

Post by Marlin32 »

Just bought the MarlinXLR in 338ME. Already own a Marlin 32 Special and a 357.
All of which in my opinion can use some tweaking on performance with some reloading.

Have followed every thread on loading in these and other calibers as well on this forum, and a few others.

To get started reloading, what should I buy?? Looking for honest opinions and experience.

I have been looking, thinking about the Hornady Kit, Maybe the Redding. Open to all options at this point.

Will start with 32sp dies, then 338, then 308 and then 357.

What is review on using the Hawk bullets?? These are the bullets I am thinking about reloading with:
.321" with a 190-200gr flat point
.338" with a 210-225gr flat point
.308" with a 190gr flat point (which is on the Hawk site)

I need all the help I can get. I load shotgun shells like a relgion, but have never loaded metallic cartridges. Things get pretty confusing.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: reloading start

Post by AJMD429 »

After using a RCBS Rockchucker, & Dillon RL-550, I wound up using a Lee 4-hole Turret press due to speed, & ease of use. You'll need a powder scale to verify charges, and there's nothing wrong with a Lee Dipper set, but I mounted the Lee Disk measure on my press, the 'Pro' version being better for various reasons than the 'regular' one. I got the second disk set and micrometer measure, although I've yet to need the micrometer measure. I use Lee dies, although their 'factory crimp' ones for handgun rounds aren't as good as the 'rifle' ones - I use a .44-40 'rifle' die to crimp my .44 Mag loads.

They all work, but that's what I've found I use the most.

P.S. I find I like the 'turret' concept because for an $8.00 investment, I can get an extra turret, and thus leave my dies in the turret, all set to the way I want them, and not have to fool around with re-adjusting them each time I reload a new batch of ammo. When I switch to my other cartridge(s), I just swap out to those turrets, with their dies also already adjusted.

I also did get the automatic primer feed, which I've been generally happy with, as it means less primer handling, and speeds things up a bit. My particular press gives me pretty good 'feel' for primer seating, unlike the others I've used.

The other 'speed' thing is the 'disk' type powder measure means I can within seconds set up for the exact same powder charge as before, rather than adjusting screws and re-measuring & re-weighing many times at start-up. Of course I always double check with a scale, but it is pretty much a one-time check just to make sure I actually put the right 'disk' in place; after that, there is nothing to slip out of adjustment, so I don't re-weigh charges periodically during that session like some folks do who use screw-adjusting measures.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

A good single stage iron press is the way to go.
It does not matter what brand, a powder scale is a must even if using dippers lets you check what you are really getting. A lee Primming tool with the flipper makes primming go faster and you have a good feel too.
As to bullets Hawk bullets too me cost alot and would use them only for hunting and stick to Hornady, Speer and Seirra for normal Shooting.And get at least 3 reloading manuals and always work your load up to be safe.
And a cheap Chrony will let you know a lot they only cost a shade over $100.00 now but you really do not need that but it's nice to know lol.I paid through the nose to get mine but that was a long time ago!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

oh boy, that's like asking what gun should i buy.
everyone has a different take on it. :roll:

are you the kind of guy who buys the best he can afford first, and keeps it forever?
or, the start cheap and work up as you gain experience kind?

either of the sets you suggest will work just fine. reloading equipment is hard to wear out,
so you will have it a long while or trade some off later. most keep a single stage press around
even after going to a turret or progressive, so you won't be in too bad a shape if that's where
you go.

if you can find someone local that reloads and can offer you a chance to use their equipment
to gain some knowledge first, that would be ideal.

good luck. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I can't tell ya anything about those specific bullets. I can only advise you that for jacketed rounds look for what velocities the jackets are designed to expand. Thin jacketts will expand at lower velocity and thick jackets require higher speeds to be effective. For lead, it's hardness and/or gaschecks to achieve higher velocities w/o leading.

As Doc sez, the turret presses are sure convenient, if you have extra tool heads for the various calibers. I don't really know about speed... When I load rifle ammo on my single stage, I size 'em all (includes decapping), whether it's 10 or 100 (or more); depending on caliber and other factors, I may prime in the same step. Change dies, then charge cases w/powder and seat bullets as I get them charged, in groups of ten, or after the whole block is charged. I use a powder measure and check charges every 10th drop to ensure consistency. For target competition loads I dump charge close to my final weight and then use a trickle measure to get each load exact. Speed ain't a concern, accuracy & consistency are my primary objectives. Not that they can't be achieved on a turret, I'm just used to my single-stage RCBS.

For my pistol caliber loading, speed is a factor, for I'm usually loading 100-1,000 rounds at one setting. So, I have a Dillon. 2 actually, one for small primer calibers and one for large primer cartridges. Die sets are already setup on separate toolheads w/powder measures dedicated to large volume cases (BP .45 Colt) and one for smaller volumes. It means less teardown an re-assembly when swithing calibers.

If all my components are ready, I can, at a leisurely pace, load 1,000 rounds of BP .45 Colt in 3 hours. and any smokeless rounds in about 2-½ hours. When all three of us were shooting 2-3 CAS matches a month I could load our monthly needs in a day. As I casted our bullets, I only needed to buy, powder, primers, lube, shot, wads and a few replacement cases. Due to the light loads in CAS, those were mostly due to lost or damage from being stepped on at the range!

Reloading never saved me money, but it sure allowed me to shoot MORE!!! 8) 8) :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I always suggest getting The ABCs of Reloading, Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook (if you will be reloading lead), or Hornady's Handbook of Cartridge Reloading. Also, depending on which forum you're looking at, you will get a wide variety of opinions on which type of press and accessories (hand held, single stage, turret, or progressive presses). A lot of reloaders are brand loyal (RCBS vs Lyman vs Lee vs anything else), to the point of strong arguements against any manufacturer other than their choice! P.O.S. and Cheap Junk are popular phrases used. All popular manufacturer's equipment works and can produce safe, accurate ammo.

Get a couple of the manuals, read 'em, and you will get an idea of what type of reloading equipment will suit your reloading needs.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_no ... tes.htm/51 This is the way I got started reloading 30+ years ago...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Griff wrote:!
Reloading never saved me money, but it sure allowed me to shoot MORE!!! 8) 8) :lol:
Amen to that. I loaded every thing on a RockChucker single stage for years and still use the single stage to load my big rifle ammo on and a Dillon Square Square Deal B for my pistol loading. Since I shoot .357's out of three rifles and five pistols the Dillon gets a pretty good work out. I'd suggest getting a good single stage, and never selling it, to start with and then maybe get a progressive for pistol ammo at least.

First purchase should be at least two current loading manuals, with the Lyman #49 being one of them.

Good luck, you'll love reloading.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"Get a couple of the manuals, read 'em, and you will get an idea of what type of reloading equipment will suit your reloading needs."
--Mikld

BINGO!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,

My first press was a RCBS Rockchucker! After years of reloading I wanted more time shooting and less time reloading so I bought a Dillon 550. I still have the chucker and use if for some things. I would recommend starting out on a single stage until you are very familiar with reloading and then move up to a progressive. Mistakes are easier to make on a progressive, more things to keep track of. In either case you will need a powder scale and thrower or dipper. Just my $0.01 worth.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Beartooth article was informative.
RCBS and the Hornady "kit" are about same price, and I believe probably compare very well to each other.

I don't shoot thousands of rounds with the rifles, so not in the progressive mind set, yet.

Like the turret idea, because I will be loading several different calibers, but not necessarily a requirement.

Thanks gentlemen. I have a Cabelas gift card burning whole in my pocket anyway. Just as well blow it on a new press and dies!
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I started out with a lee 4 hole press that my brother got me for a Christmas gift.
The thing works great! I have loaded thousands of rounds on it, and it is still going strong.
I also have the Lee Classic cast press it is a little slower to make bullets with, :D but it is built like like a tank.
They are both Made Right Here in the Good Old U.S.A. Unlike some other brands out there.
Get the Lee you will not be let down it is a good starter press. And if you find that you really like reloading get a Dillon 550 latter on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.