OT- preserving snake skin?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

OT- preserving snake skin?

Post by abcollector »

Well I walked upon a rattlesnake late this morning in the driveway leading my colt back from a walk. Decent size- 36" with I believe twelve buttons (haven't counted them personally). He was pretty aggressive- buzzing, coiling and just in a foul mood. My FIL was driving down the drive and nailed it as he did his last coil. I did/do feel a bit bad but he was in an area where horses are kept. I didn't want him going to "waste" so I skinned him out, fleshed the skin and salted it.

Does anyone know what I should do now? I'd like the skin to be supple when it's down curing. Do I need to do something more?

I took this with my iphone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- preserving snake skin?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Tandy Leather has a kit for tanning a snake skin or two.
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home ... =Product_2

Looks like they are closing it out. A friend has done several using this stuff and said it was good stuff. :D
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

To USE the skin as leather, the Tandy method is great. If ya simply wanna display it, you can tack it to a board face down, coat with 20 mule team borax, let stand in the sun a week or so, then brush it off, remove the tacks, clean it up and tack it to a display board. I did that with an Eastern Diamondback nearly 30 years ago. Still looks pretty good hanging in the shop.
Certified gun nut
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

A guy who has killed a lot of snakes told me he uses 1 part rubbing alcohol to 1 part glycerine I think. He has a 6 1/2' Western Diamondback skin that's been preserved for over 15 years that way. There are probably better ways to do it, but that's how he told me to do it and it seems to work for him.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

SnakeTan is supposed to be one of the optimal solutions to keep the skin supple.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I was told years ago to put the skin in antifreeze and it will preserve it. Don't know if it's true or not.
Old Law Dawg
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Kim thats how I tanned a timber rattler I killed in 90 it worked pretty good. danny
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

The borax has worked well for me. Just rub it in and let it dry. It doesn't absorb water from the air the way table salt does.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Shooter is correct.50-50 denatured alchcohol and glyceren.My cousin is a taxadermist,and he
rolls the skin up like a ace bandage,puts it into a jar and fills it up.After 2 weeks pulls it out
and drapes it over a line to dry.It should be soft and not lose its color...
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

As a taxidermist, I have tanned several snake skins. The glycerin method will keep the skin supple. Antifreeze may give the skin a tainted color. There are several snake tan products offered by the supply houses. try Van Dykes Taxidermy supply, good people

TomF
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

I will certainly know what to do for the next skin. However, this one I had already salted as I didn't have anything else on hand that I knew would work. So with it salted and dried, is there now a way I can make it supple. I'm not sure what I'll do with it but it would be easier to store/keep rolled up like an "ace" bandage.
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

TomF, in the future I'd like to have some glycerin on hand for tanning/preserving purposes. Which type of glycerin would you recommend- vegetable or animal? Would a gallon be to much? How long does it last in storage?

Thanks
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I did a copperhead hide last year with the glycerin/alcohol and it has remained soft and supple. Very easy to do. I just used some liquid
glycerin from the drug store.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.