Big Horn Armory Model 89 500 S&W Magnum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Big Horn Armory Model 89 500 S&W Magnum

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Very interesting levergun. Here's the link to the review:
http://www.gunblast.com/Bighorn89.htm

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Big Horn Armory Model 89 500 S&W Magnum

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Nice article. I like the look of the stainless with the walnut and the black recoil pad. I like the line of the straight comb and the shotgun butt as well. I also think the 18" carbine is ideal if perhaps a tad heavy for a "carbine". A lot of people are unsure of the pistol grip though and would have liked to have seen a straight grip. In a lot of the pictures of the gun, the grip curve looks a bit tight but it may just be the scale of things. If the lever opening is large enough, I imagine it would be fine. Your review seems to indicate as much.

The economy / outlook at this point in time really keeps me from dropping $2k on a new rifle ... wife, kids, mortgage, etcetera you now. I hope they are successful but it just seems like a tough time to be offering a new gun at that price point. Some will just have to have one though and hopefully that will keep them in operation until things turn around.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

That's a cannon!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's not for me but I appreciate that they've done it and I wish them the best.

Thanks for the writeup.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It has a few modern features, but it still looks better than an M16. The accuracy sounds good, and the bullet would sure leave a big hole in anything. I am still interested in getting one. I don't need it, but need stopped being the reason quite a few rifles ago.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Wishing them all the best.
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If I could only stop being distracted, I'd have the readies for that right now... :cry: DESPITE the pistol grip it is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Image
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice write-up, Jeff - Thanks !

It's the first time I've had a somewhat detailed look at one, having only the first ad pic to go by - and it looks pretty good !

That forend cap/swivel stud treatment is IMHO GREAT ! - I'd like to have seen a Super Grade type rear swivel inletted into the buttstock to match it though, ILO the somewhat standard QD stud.

I also like the adaptation of what looks like a 70's-era Remington rear barrel sight ramp into a receiver peep sight - innovative !

I hope their production goes smoothly.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

There's just something about the shape of the pistol grip and lever that really turns me off.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ted - From Classic Stockmaking 101, maybe it's the way that the stock looks like it's cut a little too deeply/high into the rear area of the curve of the pistol, grip that makes it look a bit out-of-sync, and minimal/no fluting on the comb nose doesn't help to draw the eye from the lower area.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I like it. Except for the pistol grip. It is a good looking gun and it is great to see a new rifle introduced to the market. I hope they have a long and prosperous run.
Other than magazine capacity is there any practical benefit over, say, a guide gun in 45/70? It doesn't appear to have any ballistic benefits as far as throw-weight goes, and it has a worse ballistic coefficient for a given bullet weight.

Curious,

Grizz
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Grizz wrote:I like it. Except for the pistol grip. It is a good looking gun and it is great to see a new rifle introduced to the market. I hope they have a long and prosperous run.
Other than magazine capacity is there any practical benefit over, say, a guide gun in 45/70? It doesn't appear to have any ballistic benefits as far as throw-weight goes, and it has a worse ballistic coefficient for a given bullet weight.

Curious,

Grizz
It makes a bigger hole. Fifty is bigger than 45. However, as far as practicality, the 30-06 is probably more than most of us need.

Jeff
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:Ted - From Classic Stockmaking 101, maybe it's the way that the stock looks like it's cut a little too deeply/high into the rear area of the curve of the pistol, grip that makes it look a bit out-of-sync, and minimal/no fluting on the comb nose doesn't help to draw the eye from the lower area.

You HAD to point that out, didn't you? :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If I had the $$$$.¢¢ I'd buy one. That thing is a brute. It looks like the pit bull of lever guns.

Sure would get every bodies attention in the hunting camps.

Hey Joe, whatcha huntin? Oh, nothing much, just a T-REX. :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Jeff, love your reviews! Straight to the point and no BS. :)

I'd love to get one of these - might have to gather up a few victims from my current collection and sell them and get one of these... since I'm completely out of room in the gun cabinets, this is probably a good idea.

I have an NEF in this caliber sitting on my bench right now. I've got some Lee 440 grain gc boolits loaded up to around 1800 fps waiting for me to test. My first go-round with Berry's plated 350 grain bullets was a bust - when I seated and crimped the bullets, they sized down and ended up barrely touching the rifling on the way out! Recoil was minimal compared to what I expected and I even had one H110 load fail to burn (yes, using LR primers too).
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

" but the Big Horn lever gun caused no harm to my delicate body.", well ... perhaps waxing a little whimsically at that point.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Well I will say this, the grip is no doubt designed for practicality and I'll bet that it feels just great. And I feel that the less-than-svelt cut of the wood around the grip and above goes perfectly with the beefy barrel and the workaday intent of the gun. This gun looks like SERIOUS business and the grip fits when you view it from that perspective.

Frankly, I dislike the fat wood on modern Marlins even more than anything that initially grates on this gun and I've decided that this is a gun that grows on you the more you look at it.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: The economy / outlook at this point in time really keeps me from dropping $2k on a new rifle ... I hope they are successful but it just seems like a tough time to be offering a new gun at that price point. Some will just have to have one though and hopefully that will keep them in operation until things turn around.

Yep, Nice gun!
But but my trusted deerslayer or my Browning BPS(24" Hastings full rifled barrel) and it shooting the .50 cal 385gr Partition Golds @ 2000fps says----------Just use me :?:

It is nice though!

Good report Jeff
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you Jeff. I am not a pistol grip guy per say, but that whole gun just works for me.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

C. Cash wrote:Thank you Jeff. I am not a pistol grip guy per say, but that whole gun just works for me.
Me too. Also, that grip is very comfortable when shooting. The curved pistol grip really helps to pull the rifle into the shoulder.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jeff,

Was I seeing right, the rear sight looks a lot like Marbles Universal sight. I didn't see a quick release elevation knob but other than that it's almost a dead ringer for it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Al
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Al »

any idea if these are avaiable yet?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Go to their website or call them. danny
http://www.bighornarmory.com/
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you Jeff! Love the look of that little carbine and will enjoy digging into that article/videos.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Another straight grip guy. Nice review, thanks.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Has Buck Elliot got anything to do with this outfit???

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Nath wrote:Has Buck Elliot got anything to do with this outfit???

Nath.
Nath, from what I remember, he seemed as suprised as everyone else to see this Big Horn Lever. He called these guys to make sure they had not copied his version of the 86/92, and he seemed satisfied they had not. I believe he said he did know one of the guys who was making the rifle, maybe from his days at Freedom Arms?.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I can assure everyone after talking to Buck personally and also to the owner of Big Horn Armory that Buck's initial prototype had NOTHING to do with the B.H. rifle. They arrived at a similar conclusion from independant research. That being said I actually shot Frank's new Big Horn rifle at the "bannana rock" at Whittington Center in New Mexico last summer, and its a real dandy, easy to shoot and worth every penny! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

That thing is a beast. If you're looking for cool points show up with that and you win hands down. I can't afford it and dang sure don't need it, but ya never know what might show up some day.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

The grip and lever remind me of the Winchester Model 71.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I am saving my money for one.
Sincerely,

Hobie

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Its not a beast anymore than any 45-70 is. Load it as you will. I do still sort of wish he made one in 460 S&W.
-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I have to admit they're growing on me. I'd have to load it to something way down more to my liking but it sure is a nice looking piece. I also agree that they should offer them in .460.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Here's Frank Ehrenford (doubt I spelled that correctly) of Big Horn Armory and Mt. Baldy Bullet fame on the right with his new rifle. On the left is Kelye Schlep of Belt Mountain (of base-pin and Punch Bullet fame).

-Tutt

Base Pin Maker
Levergunner

Post by Base Pin Maker »

Great Picture! Thanks, Kelye @ Belt Mtn
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

CowboyTutt wrote:Its not a beast anymore than any 45-70 is. Load it as you will. I do still sort of wish he made one in 460 S&W.
I agree, but isn't the .460 S&W quite a bit longer than the .500 S&W...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

AJMD429 wrote:
CowboyTutt wrote:Its not a beast anymore than any 45-70 is. Load it as you will. I do still sort of wish he made one in 460 S&W.
If I'm looking at the right cartridges in Wiki, the 500 OAL is 2.250 and the 460 is 2.290.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Yep, 460 S&W and maybe a price closer to $1000 than $2000 and they've got me for sure. And the pistol grip suits me fine.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chas. wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
If I'm looking at the right cartridges in Wiki, the 500 OAL is 2.250 and the 460 is 2.290.
Yep. I guess it just looks longer since it is skinnier.

I've always thought that a .460 S&W lever-rifle, .454 Casull lever-carbine and SA 'field' revolver, and .45 Colt DA 'CCW' revolver, would be a covers-all-needs, one-caliber set of guns to reckon with... 8)

Add a similar 'set' of .22 LR firearms, a scatter-gun, and maybe a pointy-bullet shooter in .338, and you've got it ALL covered!

Well, maybe a Garand, and of course a .45 ACP, and . . . :roll: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I guess while we're at it a .475 Linebaugh/.480 Ruger version that would give those revolver guys a rifle to go with their side arms would be a nice addition as well. Even if it were something that they only offered from a custom shop it would be nice to have the option.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hi Kelye, nice to see you here! Thanks for all you have done for me in the past. Your customer service was always over the top. Jim Williamson says "Hello!". -Tutt