On Topic for a change: Win 73 32wcf..Reloading..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

On Topic for a change: Win 73 32wcf..Reloading..

Post by morgan in nm »

I am finally getting a little break from school for a couple of weeks so I get to post here again more often. I have a winchester 73 in 32-20 w/24" factory barrel that is not in the best shape(the bore that is.) What is the best mold to use? I want to simply kill paper for now and maybe a coyote or two. The bore is heavily worn but still shows adequate rifleing up to the last inch of barrel. I am not expecting match quality and I have all the equipment except molds and sizer. Also, I am thinking of nothing harder than wheel-weights. Am I wrong?
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: On Topic for a change: Win 73 32wcf..Reloading..

Post by Shasta »

morgan in nm,

The standard 32-20 cast bullet is the Lyman 311008, weighing 115 grains at .312 diameter. It shoots great in my Uberti 1873 reproduction. Given that your barrel is well worn, it may do better with jacketed bullets, but I think you are wise to try cast and see how it does.

If you wish, I can send you some cast & sized bullets to try. I also happen to have a spare double cavity Lyman 311008 mould. PM me if you are interested.

Best Regards, SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: On Topic for a change: Win 73 32wcf..Reloading..

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
I have a 1873 in 32-20.
Your first step is to Slug the Throat area.... If your Rifle´s throat is FAT (.314+) a standard size mold (.312) is not going to give you good accuracy.
My 73 has a .316 throat diameter... Best accuracy comes with a .315 Pure Lead cast bulllet on top of a case full of 2F. Chamber will not accept a fatter bullet. Accuracy is 50% on pop cans at 50 yards but that is the end... a paper plate is completly safe at 100 yards.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.