94AE Has new shoes - Thanks Meanc

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

94AE Has new shoes - Thanks Meanc

Post by salvo »

I finally replaced the ugly hardwood stocks on my Winchester 94AE .44 Mag, thanks to Meanc selling a set in the classifieds!
This gun deserves walnut after all the dang work I have put into it, half cock conversion, safety filler and sights. It's about as close to a real Winchester as an AE can get :wink:
I had to open up the forearm to accept the heavy barreled .44 but everything went smooth, as can be, nice little Friday evening project. I may pull the sling stud out, fill and re-finish the wood or just put one of those magazine clamp on studs on it and sling it, not sure yet but I think a sling may be handy for this one.
I really like this little trapper even more now that it has proper wood, some things just bring the cosmos into balance!

Last edited by salvo on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: 94AE Has new shoes - Thanks Meanc

Post by claybob86 »

Fine job, Scott! Looks like a real classic! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice job :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Big improvement! 8)
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very good, nice work there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

:D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott,

That looks really nice. What did you use to get the barrel channel just right in the forearm?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Now that's more like it! It's just right now!!
I've thought of doing a Pre War "cowboy conversion" on my '79 .30-30 Trapper - with something like a Precision Gunstocks walnut carbine rear and new front. Since I'm not trying to fool (or please) anyone but myself, might make it a hybrid by keeping the short wood (but new matching walnut) on the front as I've not sold myself on the "correct" long-wood for a trapper.--more "period correct" though that may be. Then again, if you're gonna do it right...? Unlike most '94s, you're basically emulating an otherwise unobtainable original (a "real" Pre War trapper's just about the rarest beast and the most precious prices one can pay for a '94...ditto its '92 equivalent). The gun's already got the saddle ring and the correct front post sight location, so it's just begging for the Pre War treatment. Problem is, the original stock's not bad (and it's walnut)...so it's taking awhile to get around to fixing something that really isn't quite broken! Gonna get there though!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

perfect!

always wanted a 44 trapper but with a big loop...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks all, that old wood has bugged me since I bought this gun new at Big5 on sale back in 95. I just kept putting it off, thinking the same as gak, long wood and steel carbine butt plate but Meanc's offer in the classifieds made me decide to just get some walnut on it!
I was comparing the stock on my Puma 92 just this morning and it would not take much stock work to fit a steel carbine butt stock :idea:
Joe, I lined the stock up with the barrel and scribed faint lines on it, then used a drum sander on a Dremel to take out the bulk of the wood. I then found just the right O.D. piece of rubber transmission hose and cut about a 4" piece for a sanding block and carefully fit it with that (you can see the hose and sandpaper in the two finished pictures above on the right hand side above the dust mask). Sealed up the wood with thinned out Tru-Oil.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

You're welcome Salvo. That turned out very nice, indeed.

I know I said I thought it had enough wood to channel out, but man, that was "cutting" it real close :lol:
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

It was close! The hardwood piece was that thin too.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Looks great! I've got a similar .357 trapper with ghastly wood that needs the same treatment.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Scott, it looks great. You do excellent work.
Old Law Dawg