Time Machine - Colt's response to SAA problem April 17, 1963

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Time Machine - Colt's response to SAA problem April 17, 1963

Post by airedaleman »

A letter
********************************************************************************************

Colt's Patent Fire-Arms Manufacturing Company, Inc.
Hartford 14, Connecticut, U.S.A.
(Rampant Colt image)

April 17, 1963

Mr. Michael B. Leck
30 Yahara Ave.
Rutherford, N.J.

Dear Mr. Leck:

We have received your Single Action Army revolver, S/N 28555SA and the letter pertaining to it. We have also received a memo from Mr. B.J. Ryan, our representative in your area, who suggests that we replace the weapon and not return the repaired one to you. This we will do as soon as possible.

Our findings in inspecting the weapon concur with yours in that the silver solder joint holding the stud for the ejector rod housing ws nnot sufficient to hold it. This is a situation which is difficult to overcome as there is no way of inspecting this joint after it is soldered, even though we have certain test which this joint must pass.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused and trust that you will be completely happy with your new gun.

Sincerely,
Colt's Patent Firearms Mfg. Co. Inc.
(Signed)
Joseph Gannon, Supervisor
of Special Servces

Founded in 1836

********************************************************************************************
The above is my poor effort to duplicate a letter I received regarding the problem I had with 28555SA - My "Shane" SAA, a nickel-plated 7-1/2" .44 Special that I had saved mightily to order. First trip out, the third shot (factory ammunition, mind you) sent the ejector rod, spring, and rod down range. The separation also chipped the plating on the barrel. I wrote a reasoned letter to the repair department, put it in the box, and went back to my dealer who took the problem from there.
Gannon's letter was the result, and I had a new Colt in about a week...

This was in the days before the internet, e-mails and even zip codes! The point here is that, once upon a time, there WAS integrity and pride in product. A response like Gannon's was expected. Now, when a manufacturer does the right thing without arm-twisting, telephone tag, and a blizzard of e-mails, it's cause for celebration. I dinna know where we as a nation are headed; I'm well into my twilight years and it saddens me greatly to read about the treatment Kansas Ed has received. Our manufacturing base has all but disappeared, and the firearms industry is slipping into the abyss as well.

Look at the next manhole cover you see. I'll bet it says "Made in India."
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Time Machine - Colt's response to SAA problem April 17, 1963

Post by trapper45 »

Interesting you should say that.

I had a similar--almost identical--situation with a Single Action Army just recently.

A 1971 NRA Centennial 7-1/2" was sitting in its presentation box at a local gun shop. It had apparently not been fired since new, the 'commemorative' decoration was minimal, the price was right, and I wanted a 7-1/2" shooter to complement my 4-3/4". First session at the range, round number four goes 'Ka-Boom' and the ejector housing is launched into the air. The next day I took it back to the shop and showed the folks where there was evidently a bit of corrosion under the ejector housing stud. The gun went back to Colt's and within a couple of months was returned with the ejector housing reattached--and at no charge except the original shipping back to Colt's.

Earlier this month, after several months and about 200 rounds with no problems, the same thing happened after the fifth round fired--ejector housing flies off. I sent the gun to Colt's along with a handwritten letter explaining what had happened, and that it was a repeat occurrence and could they fix it so that the same thing wouldn't happen again. Within a week of my sending it off, Colt's work order arrived by mail and indicated there would be no charge. The next morning I called them to tell them that they could replace the barrel if they needed to, since I was more interested in it as a shooter than that it have the Centennial inscription on the barrel. Brent at Customer Service told me they had actually found--already--a new (second generation!) barrel with the same inscription and that it would be put on the gun, still at no charge. And that was one week to the day of the gun's arrival.

I was so impressed by their response that I took the opportunity to order an ACP cylinder so that it could be fitted and timed at the factory. So far, nothing but kudos to them and their service department. When I get it back I will take it for a test drive and report on the results. But for now, even with this being the second trip back to Hartford for this particular pistol, I'm quite pleased with the response from Colt's and their handling of both their product and their customer.
lemeatm
Levergunner

Post by lemeatm »

airedaleman wrote:A letter

(Rampant Colt image)

April 17, 1963

Mr. Michael B. Leck
30 Yahara Ave.
Rutherford, N.J.

Dear Mr. Leck:

We have received your Single Action Army revolver, S/N 28555SA and the letter pertaining to it. We have also received a memo from Mr. B.J. Ryan, our representative in your area, who suggests that we replace the weapon and not return the repaired one to you. This we will do as soon as possible.

Our findings in inspecting the weapon concur with yours in that the silver solder joint holding the stud for the ejector rod housing ws nnot sufficient to hold it. This is a situation which is difficult to overcome as there is no way of inspecting this joint after it is soldered, even though we have certain test which this joint must pass.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused and trust that you will be completely happy with your new gun.

Sincerely,
(Signed)
of Special Servces

Founded in 1836

The above is my poor effort to duplicate a letter I received regarding the problem I had with 28555SA - My "Shane" SAA, a nickel-plated 7-1/2" .44 Special that I had saved mightily to order. First trip out, the third shot (factory ammunition, mind you) sent the ejector rod, spring, and rod down range. The separation also chipped the plating on the barrel. I wrote a reasoned letter to the repair department, put it in the box, and went back to my dealer who took the problem from there.

This was in the days before the internet, e-mails and even zip codes! The point here is that, once upon a time, there WAS integrity and pride in product. A response like Gannon's was expected. Now, when a manufacturer does the right thing without arm-twisting, telephone tag, and a blizzard of e-mails, it's cause for celebration. I dinna know where we as a nation are headed; I'm well into my twilight years and it saddens me greatly to read about the treatment Kansas Ed has received. Our manufacturing base has all but disappeared, and the firearms industry is slipping into the abyss as well.

Please get ahold of me, if the SN is correct that you posted, I think I own this colt. I would like to get some history on it.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Of course back then they would just wander down the assembly-line and pick one out and send it to you.

NOW, they'd have a week's worth of BATF paperwork just for the duplicate-serial-number permission, have to certify they destroyed the old frame, and maybe even have to send it to you via a FFL dealer. :roll: :roll: :roll:

...I feel so much safer now... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

lemeatm wrote:Please get ahold of me, if the SN is correct that you posted, I think I own this colt. I would like to get some history on it.
Really! How cool is that!
Old Law Dawg
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I had a very good experience with Colt's about a year ago. Bought a 4.75" 44-40, full blue with Ivory grips still new in box but mfg in 71. When I shot it, the brass came out not even looking like 44-40 and one chamber would only eject by pushing the ejector head against the edge of the bench. Sent it back and they replaced the cylinder, bolt, hand and main spring, no charge. Works like it should now. Is one of my main match guns for SASS.

I love the look of full blue SAAs and they just cry out for ivory grips (one piece).
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
lemeatm
Levergunner

Post by lemeatm »

Thought I would share some pics. The only thing I know about this is what my Mom told me, and she isn't really sure about the way Dad got this gun. According to her, Dad got this in Kansas at an estate sale in the '70s. He was working with Colt Custom Shop folks to produce a Texas Longhorn commemorative and was either on the way there or on the way back and saw an add for a Colt collection being sold off and made this purchase along with a matching 4 3/4" Colt SAA. I don't know if the Ivory grips were on it or not.
I remember Dad getting these guns out as a kid and thinking how pretty they were, I do the same today.

Anyway, good luck with the hurricane recovery, you all have our prayers.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

airedaleman wrote:A letter

(Rampant Colt image)

April 17, 1963

Mr. Michael B. Leck
30 Yahara Ave.
Rutherford, N.J.

Dear Mr. Leck:

Sincerely,
(Signed)
of Special Servces

Founded in 1836

As noted above, 28555SA went back to the factory and I never saw it again. Appears to me that Colt squared it away
and got it back out there. When I sent it back, it had the factory two-piece walnut grips.

Colt did send me an identical replacement - except that someone screwed up and shipped a 38 Special. Given NJ gun laws at the time (and which are probably much worse now), I had to get another purchase permit from my local Chief. If it had been 28555SA returned, I would not have had to go through the process again.

When no one showed any interest in the letter, I put it away (which means it got buried in a pile of miscellaneous stuff).
When I find it, I'll send it along to you.

Thanks for you concern Re the big blow. No property damage, no injuries - just a week of no power or water.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

You can still get that kind of service in a levergun; just buy a Henry. And, the letter (email) will be from the President of Henry Firearms.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

COSteve wrote:You can still get that kind of service in a levergun; just buy a Henry. And, the letter (email) will be from the President of Henry Firearms.
I bought one two years ago, a super little rifle. Happy Birthday to me when I turned 70. No need to talk to Mr Imperato, except to commend him for a remarkable, American-made product.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

This is an amazing post. Considering the hundreds of thousands of Colt SAA revolvers, and a fellow that owns the gun now sees a letter talking about it 48 freak'n years ago! All on this web site. It just don't get any better.

If I were you fellows, I'd go out and buy a lottery ticket.............
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
lemeatm
Levergunner

Post by lemeatm »

So I just found an old firearm record book of my Dads in a box of books and it has this Colt purchased on 10 November 1976, new in box, unfired from John Wargo, in Phoenix, AZ. It had the Ivory on it then, and it is listed as being 1 of 55 manufactured. Now I have to go through all his old receipts (yes, he kept all his firearm purchase receipts) and see if I can find this one.... The saga continues.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

Remington just surprised me. I have one of their 105 CTis. Sometime ago I noted that the recoil pad had become sticky. I assume I had gotten some incompatible solvent on it. After my dove hunt last weekend I decided I better get a replacement while I could since the butt stock cut is not flat and could imagine getting a replacement might be difficult down the road. Remington took my pertainent details and I was waiting for "What type credit card will you be using?" instead I got it will ship in 7 days or so. Not sure if it is a problem they have decided to address with free replacements or if that is just policy but I was surprised and pleased that it cost nothing more than a phone call
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Time Machine - Colt's response to SAA problem April 17,

Post by airedaleman »

Found the letter from Colt. Now all I need is a way to contact lemeatm, and get it to him...
lemeatm
Levergunner

Post by lemeatm »

Email sent, brother.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Wow --- that nickel SAA with ivory's makes my heart skip a beat too !
----- Doug
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

do do, do do. do do, do do. We have entered the twilight zone. :D

Chad and Byron
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

I'd buy that lotto ticket never seen such luck would luv 2 see the whole story please continue
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

By the way nice lookin gun would see the replacement
lemeatm
Levergunner

Post by lemeatm »

555 small.png
Gun and letter together. Don Wilkerson's book in the picture mentions only 55 7 1/2" barreled nickle plated .44 specials were made. Further it mentions that only one left the factory with ivory grips. Thanks so much for posting your letter. Now to get the letter from colt to get the full back story.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.