Traditional Archery

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Traditional Archery

Post by Swampman »

They had at least 80 Black Widow bows to try out. I ordered a PMAIII with the low grip 47#@28". They said it would take about 2 months.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Traditional Archery

Post by kimwcook »

Very neat. Thanks for the pics. I understand the advantages of a compound, but I just never could warm up to them. I love the looks of the traditionals. All of them.
Old Law Dawg
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

a stick and a string, the only way to go :!:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Those are what I call REAL bows.... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Yah, those boys at Black Widow know once you start handling and trying 'em out, you're gonna have to get one.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Reminds me of when I was building bows for a living, used to love to travel to these shoots, had a great time. Traditional archers and levergunners are much the same. Finest folks you'll ever want to meet.

Some good looking hunks of Bois de Arc there, wish I had some 'round bout here.

Congrats on the new bow, hopefully you'll get it in time to hunt this fall.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Excellent,

A friend let me shoot his black widow in the 80s
Only have a dozen or so stick bows and a couple blanks seasoning.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Post by HillbillyGadget »

Congrats, I'm a Hill man myself, but I like how Widows shoot.
Trad shoots are great time, and they usually involve dutch ovens as well.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jr, has been munching at the bit for something new. He's been shooting the old Bear Montana that I started shooting when I got back around to it just a few years ago. I'm shooting a Martin Vision. I have a 60# and a 50# but I find the 50 much more enjoyable to shoot. I just don't need the 217 FPS the 60# gives me any more.

I was looking at the net this morning before church and saw that the Traditional Bowhunters of Fla. have their fall shoot in Aug. I'm thinking about taking off and going up there to Ocala to shoot. It's pretty hot then but there's always a good time. All this time and I finally got myself an avatar... it came from the one they had that I use on the tradgang site see.

<<<<<<<------------
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I envy you guys that can shoot archery. I couldn't hit a barn from the inside with one. Never could. Even took lessons. Coach said it was useless for me to shoot a bow. I said OK fine I like my guns better anyway. Made her mad at me, but we was both right.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I love shooting longbows as much as I love shooting my guns.
I have 6 longbows and recurves. They all shoot great I am kind of partial to the older bear bows.
Late 1940's early 1950's This was the golden age of archery IMHO. Here is a early
example of a nice clean Bear Cub bow, one of my favorites. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Swampman,

Just where was this get together??
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Looks cool. I am learning how to make bows. I just never could get into compound bows. I am about 3/4 of the way through my first longbow. It's just a cheap board bow made of an oak 1x2 and backed with fiberglass drywall tape and Titebond II. I just have to add a riser and tiller it for it to be functional. If it doesn't break on me I plan on putting a deer hide (hair on) backing on it to cover up the ugly drywall tape.

Does anyone have any more info on these types of shoots? I'd love to attend one and pick up a few pointers.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thank you ,Thank you, that is like looking at a bunch of old Winchesters. I just moved about 25 staves of different woods from my unused horse barn to a shed. I reckon I need to get the draw knives and spokeshaves sharpened up. I have red cedar, osage, persimmon, black locust, honey locust and some given me that i don't know.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Lobo, they have it in Mcalla, Alabama in the Tannehill State Park. Howard Hill was from Alabama.

For anybody needing any traditional archery gear I would suggest 3 Rivers Archery. Jr. ordered a Fred Bear collection of DVD's from them last Friday and today they were in the mailbox. That's as good as the service I've ever had from anyone. The DVD's are excellent too.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Way cool 8) I like those iron arrow heads once my forge liner dries I may have to try to replicate a couple of those designs now that I have some decent stock on hand. Do they have a website that you can drool over and order from?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

As mentioned it's at Tannehill State Park in Alabama near Birmingham. The period heads were at the Yumi Archery tent. His website doesn't show them though.

I also have the Fred Bear dvd set. Well worth the money.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I've shot traditional in high school. 1977 grad. I stepped away for several years and then got a calling about 15 years ago. I picked up a Martin longbow and shot it for a few years then the Black Widow bug bit. I now have two of their longbows, one is a take down which is easier to transport on my motorcycle. I wouldn't do it any other way. My 19 year old son is a compound shooter. He's pretty good too. He spends alot of time talking to his buddies about his ol dad who shoots a longbow. He makes me feel pretty good. It don't matter to me what he shoots, I'm just glad we have the hobby to share together.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I hunted with a REDWING HUNTER 45 lb recurve bow from 1972 - 1988. It was made by Wing Archery Co. Back in those days, leather back quiver and cedar arrows with turkey fletching was common. We called broadheads by the name "bodkins" until late 1970's. In 1987, I ordered a custom take down from Owen Jeffrey in 55 lbs. and hunted with it until 1999. It was my recurve bow dream come true.

But an unhealed elbow fracture ruined my recurve shooting and now I hunt with a crossbow. I sold both recurve bows for more than I paid - there is a genuine market for quality bows.

Martin Hatfield is an exceptionally well made take down bow. Crafted by Damon Howatt, the older Martin recurves hold their values quite well. Ben Pearson crafted some very elaborate bows as well.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

I've fallen in love with archery but a severe back injury took me out, the damage has been repaired, but I've now got to find a job. I want to get a TD recurve. With the price and availability of ammo these days it's starting to look better and better these days.

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Some good looking hunks of Bois de Arc there, wish I had some 'round bout here.
Me, too!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I love hunting with my recurve, oops did I say hunting, I mean simulated of course, real hunting is illegal over here!

One of these days I am gonna get me one of those fancy bows :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Nath, You dont need no fancy bow. You are in the right country for a nice english war bow.
Something in the 100 pound range should work real good for your simulated hunting purposes. :D
Get some yew and make it yourself. Along with some oak shafted arrows. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

win38-55 wrote:Nath, You dont need no fancy bow. You are in the right country for a nice english war bow.
Something in the 100 pound range should work real good for your simulated hunting purposes. :D
Get some yew and make it yourself. Along with some oak shafted arrows. :D
100lb war bow :lol: :lol: not for me :lol: I have witnessed some heavey war bows in action and man do they go!

Nice arrows in the pic :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!