OT but way cool, rail road content

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

OT but way cool, rail road content

Post by wecsoger »

I learn something new every day

So I'm roaming around on Saturday (well, 'roaming' is not the best word) but I'm heading through a small community in our county late afternoon.

Am very surprised as there is a crowd of people, thirty or more walking around and some heading across the road to the Dairy Mart. Small community, one traffic light, couple stop signs and railroad tracks.

On the other side of the road, on the railway is a bunch of small train cars? Little two seaters or so. Sort of like slightly larger golf carts or clown cars, but on the rails.

I do amuse easily, so I pull off and talk to folks sitting around one of the buildings near the track. Nicest people you would care to meet.

What they were, were a club that buys, renovates and runs railway inspection cars. The ones I saw went from plain Jane to elaborate paint jobs. They explained to me that they make arrangements with the railway lines to use their tracks, and spend long days just cruising along. The said their plans were to be in in another community about a hundred miles away tomorrow, so I'm betting that is a major scenic drive/run/cruise/whatever.

Looked it up on the web, there's even a national organization for these folks. http://www.narcoa.org/

They have licensing, accreditation, protocols and seemed very professional about their operations. While I was there I could see they were wearing safety vests and had a very organized look about the group.

But what an incredibly neat way to get a different view of the country! Top speed is 30-35 MPH, but as I've said before, many times it's the journey, not the destination.

So that explains the crowd. I regret now I didn't get a name or email address. I'm thinking I would be willing to pay gas money for a day trip somewhere with this group.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT but way cool, rail road content

Post by TedH »

That is cool. I wouldn't mind spending a day with those folks myself.
NRA Life Member
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Cool! That is a beautiful slideshow at that link. Do any of the RR's still run those? All I see around here anymore are 1 ton PU's with the retractable rail gear underneath. Makes it handy for convenienc store/fuel stops though I guess.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Yes, you're right about the slide show. The small cars are the ones they were running. And yes, some were painted up that fancy. Guy I was talking to said some guys did have the trucks with the 'bogie' beams/bars, something like that.

FWIW, these folks were going through New Vienna Ohio (Clinton county, southwest Ohio) and headed over to Jackson in Jackson. Heading that way you're going from old glaciated country into the pre-pre foothills of the Appalachians. So I'm betting the scenery was spectacular.

And a though occurred to me while I was typing this. Bet there's not a whole lot of billboards to block your view while you're cruising along. (grin)
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

My father and older brother have one, they are referred to as "Speeders". They went on a run along the St Lawrence seaway last weekend. Beautiful scenery they said. They are more fun than some old guys should have.

I haven't had the oportunity to go with them but will have to make time soon.

Don
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That is cool. Heck of a way to see the country side. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

That is cool way to go. I have seen track inspectors who used motorized bikes with one outrigger to balance and hold the track. Cheap running as well. I used to work for a railroad and got the oppurtunity to travel the cross country routes testing locomotives. Seen a lot of game and great scenery, no roads and only a few people. ATB