GETTING RUST OFF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hyland50
Levergunner

GETTING RUST OFF

Post by hyland50 »

I have 2 1894 winchesters with rust on the barrell--I have been told 0000 steel wool and wd-40 will get the rust off without messing up the blueing---any other suggestions. all suggestions appreciated. Ron
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: GETTING RUST OFF

Post by rangerider7 »

Don't use steel wool but you can use stainless steel or copper pads.
"That'll Be The Day"
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

A pencil eraser will work for small amounts of corrosion.

Good luck!

:wink:
Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

They also make a bronze wool which I used to use on our boat. The small bits left behind won't promote more rust.

Just using pencil lead will also remove some light stuff.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bronze wool, with either Kroil or WD-40. Do NOT use steel wool. It WILL take the bluing off. I've heard that advice for years, "use 0000 steel wool, oil, and a light touch..."; never been able to use a light enough touch to keep from the bluing coming off. Even with the bronze wool, don't get aggressive.

That's for a light rust... if rust is heavier... ain't gonna matter, the rust will be thru the bluing and you'll be refinishing anyway.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:Bronze wool, with either Kroil or WD-40. Do NOT use steel wool. It WILL take the bluing off. I've heard that advice for years, "use 0000 steel wool, oil, and a light touch..."; never been able to use a light enough touch to keep from the bluing coming off. Even with the bronze wool, don't get aggressive.
BRONZE wool is not that hard to get, either...

After ordering it from Brownell's, I realized it was in the paint/sandpaper section at the local ACE Hardware, in coarse, medium, and fine...! :oops: 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Bronze wool sounds good, but have not had any appreciable wear using 0000 steel on the few firearms I've inherited which had light rust. I never knew of bronze wool until Griff mentioned it, and plan to get myself some.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I reckon that I have been really blessed these past 50 years. I was told back in 1960 by an old south Florida gunsmith to get some 0000 steel wool and 3 in 1 oil to clean up an old rifle I traded for. I have used it ever since and have not damaged one single firearm, now ain't I a lucky old man.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:Bronze wool sounds good, but have not had any appreciable wear using 0000 steel on the few firearms I've inherited which had light rust. I never knew of bronze wool until Griff mentioned it, and plan to get myself some.
Ditto. I used 0000 steel wool to take the rust off a High Standard my FIL had left in a plastic box under the hood of his truck for several years. Lots of WD-40 as well. Worked like a charm!

Still, if you have access to a bronze wool pad (they sell them for cleaning copper pots and pans) it wouldn't hurt to start there...

Good luck!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

And... welcome to the forum!!! :D :D :D
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Another trick for small areas is to rub the area w/ a copper penny. I think pennies from before 1964 are the ones you want use.

I also use copper scrub pads, the ones shaped like steel wool pads. I get them at the grocery store, from the kitchen supply area. Just make sure they are pure copper, they will say so on the package. Very good price and they work. I do use Kroil with either method.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
I have used kerosene and those Green scrubb pads for years.. never hurts an origonal finish and leaves the rusty barrel spots with that nice "Patina" all the collectors boast about but call rust when they want to buy it.
Let the Kero soak a while and scrub a little.. let the kero do the soaking. Outside somewhere down wind of open windows will keep the household happier.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I've used 0000 steel wool and some type of penetrating oil on light surface rust for years with no problems. If the rust has actually penetrated the blued surface nothing is going to take it off without damaging the bluing.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

The best stuff I have found is Nev er Dull. This is a wool batting with rust removing chemiicals and it will take off the rust but won't touch the blue. Leaves no scratches at all and oil will take it off and leave a protective coating.