Which receiver sight and why?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Which receiver sight and why?

Post by SJPrice »

I have a 30 WCF Marlin 1893, circa 1904 that is in pretty nice shape. It still retains some of the CCH (85 to 90 %, but faded), the blue is clean and dark, the action is smooth and tight, the bore is bright and it shoots good groups with both jacketed and cast loads. Unfortunately the wood has been refinished, but at least it is a nice oil finish and a pretty fair job. It is however more of the old red toned Winchester stain under the hand rubbed oil finish. Overall this Marlin looks pretty good and is a fine shooter. My question is this. I think I am going to add a receiver sight and I have both a Williams and a Lyman that will fit fine. So which one would you use and why?
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Wow, sounds like a nice old rifle. I have always been one to say guns are tools, but in your case, even with the wood being refinished, I think I might not want to Drill and Tap a 104 year old rifle. None the less, it is yours so just enjoy it either way.

First, I would try to find a correct period sight if possible, possibly a tang sight. Failing that or if you are definitely going to use one of the sights you have I would go with the Williams if it is the Foolproof version. I have a Lyman 66 on my Marlin and a Williams Foolproof on my Winchester. I like the adjustment and lockdowns on the the Williams Receiver Sight.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

btt
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jbm1968 wrote:...I think I might not want to Drill and Tap a 104 year old rifle. None the less, it is yours so just enjoy it either way.

First, I would try to find a correct period sight if possible, possibly a tang sight...
Ditto!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have one made in 1906. It came drilled and tapped and wearing a lyman sight. I like the lyman better than the williams. It isn't so big and chunky.
I'm not sure when they started factory tapping them. If the wood has been refinished collectors will whine anyways. If you know you like peep sights , go ahead.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My favorite side mount receiver sight is the Lyman. So if I were to come up with an 1893 Marlin that was already D&T'd, I'd mount one of those. I like their quick adjustment features, and to me their design is a bit more refined.

However if I came up with a Marlin in the condition you described I would leave it as is and shoot it that way.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

wow great gun, i use both william and Lyman, some have "positive" adjustments and some have quick adjustments just depends how fast or often you adjust your sights. They work and look great happy shooting..
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

How about this one?
period correct and I'm putting one on my 1908 1893.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3750.htm
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

That looks like a great option. Now I need to check to see if the top of the receiver is D&Ted for it.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

BenT wrote:I have one made in 1906. It came drilled and tapped and wearing a lyman sight. I like the lyman better than the williams. It isn't so big and chunky.
I'm not sure when they started factory tapping them. If the wood has been refinished collectors will whine anyways. If you know you like peep sights , go ahead.
I dont think the 1893's were ever drillet & tapped for a side mounted reciever. Is your drilled on top for a Hepburn sight like the one below?

bsaride wrote;
How about this one?
period correct and I'm putting one on my 1908 1893.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3750.htm
I have one, they work well but you need toadjust windage with the front sight. I think they started drilling for these in 1905 or 06.
I put one on my 1893 38/55, had to age the sight a little first so it wouls look right but it fits right in now.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Yep must have started to D&T the top of the receiver for the Hepburn in 1905 because my 1904 is not. I am now down to either a tang peep, which I find to be uncomfortable to grip or a full buckhorn rear sight. I put a Smith full buckhorn with a flip up ladder on my 1886 and if works kind of okay for me. Not nearly as clear as a real peep though. Great ideas and info guys. Any other ideas are darn sure welcome. I am leaning away from drilling and tapping the receiver as this is a nice old shooter and you guys have me feeling guilty about doing any permanent alterations.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

"I put one on my 1893 38/55, had to age the sight a little first so it wouls look right but it fits right in now."

Leverdude I want to age mine too, how did you do yours?

I know alot of the guys shooting tang sights shoot with their thumb alongside the grip instead of over it.

I like this sight that I put on my M39, tho not correct I like using it with the Lyman 17 front:

KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I just attacked it with steel wool to thin the blue & then let it rust a little. After it was a little rusted I attacked it again with the steel wool & now it fits the gun pretty good.

Hows that aperature work for you on the 22? I dont like them that far forward.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

hasn't been a problem since I don't focus on it.
KI6WZU
NRA member

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

bsaride wrote: I like this sight that I put on my M39, tho not correct I like using it with the Lyman 17 front:
Never had one so nice as that (it looks authentic to me!) but I have to my surprise found that an aperture sight up on the barrel dovetail isn't all that bad. I like scopes but it is hard with most setups to get a scope AND an aperture sight useable at the same time. That alternative has worked for me, with see through rings.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If you D & T that fine old Marlin, I'm gonna hunt you down like a coyote :D :D :D . For real, the boys above have given you excellent advice. Personally, for me, its a tang sight 99% of the time. -------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

AJMD429 wrote: Image
[/quote]
That sight looks like it came off an original Winchester Model 68 single shot 22 rimfire. I have one of those and it has a rear sight exactly like that.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Kirk, yep it's a Winchester 96 sight.
KI6WZU
NRA member