Recipe for 180gr lead bullet/.357 mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Recipe for 180gr lead bullet/.357 mag

Post by abcollector »

I need a starting load for a 180 gr Cast Performance lead bullet for the .357 magnum, but I would like to use Hodgdon H110. I have Wolf SPM primers. These will be fired out of a S&W 686 and a Browning 92. Not looking for "The Hammer of Thor" but maybe "Thor Jr".

I see enough data using jacketed but no lead.

Thanks!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Recipe for 180gr lead bullet/.357 mag

Post by shooter »

Someone more experienced can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can take the jacketed data and back it off 10% as a starting point for cast bullets. That seems kinda backwards to me, though, as the jacketed bullets have more friction than lead. Seems like it should be the other way around, but that's what I've always heard. I like to find a proven load for cast just to be on the safe side.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't have a printed reloading guide load for that, and I personally NEVER use an internet-found load until I've at least 'bracketed' it with very similar loads from published manuals, but having said that...

I'm sure some others will post 'published' data soon...
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

AB, I havent tried 110 wth the CP 180 but have used lil'gun for my SD bear loads heres a link that has some loads for 180's. Ive also read somewhere that you can take a jacketed load and reduce by 2 grains for a lead bullet then start working back up. danny
http://www.reloadammo.com/357loads.htm
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

There are several of us that shoot a 180 cast bullet in 357. Most, if not all will agree that LilGun is THE powder for heavy bullets in the 357 Magnum. I shoot 15 gr. in my revolver loads, and 16 gr. in the Rossi 92. They are very stout loads, but still very accurate.
NRA Life Member
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think for now I will hold off on using H110 and get some Lil-gun as it seams more popular. I don't have enough experience with H110/296 to create a safe starting load with a heavy lead bullet. If more published data was available then it would be different, especially with H110/296 having such a narrow "safe" working window.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've had good luck with BlueDot and 180 jacketed XTP's. IIRC, I load about 1/2 gr below max (Lee 2nd Addition?) and should be getting about 1200fps. It's stout in my 4" Security Six but not even close to objectionable. As to what's gonna happen if you switch over to a cast bullet I'll leave that up to more experienced loaders.

LK
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Go to the source.

Have a look on the Hodgdon's site. if nothing's there for 180 gr, send a e mail asking about H110, Lil Gun, and any other suitable powders. Tell them what you are trying to accomplish.

In a few hours, someone will e mail you back - I have have received good service from Hodgdon's on other calibres, and so have many other people.

-Brian
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I was told Lilgun will do 100fps over H110 at 5000 psi less press.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I'm just curious, what will the 180g do that the 158g won't? I don't think I've ever fooled with anything heavier than 158g.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Its heavy for caliber and works fine for penetration on tough things you have to shoot, a 180 or 200 WFN HCGC is what I load for a bear defense load and it kills lions and bears right now. danny
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

awp101 wrote:I'm just curious, what will the 180g do that the 158g won't? I don't think I've ever fooled with anything heavier than 158g.
For a given lethality, it might be substantially quieter, likely being subsonic. . .
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

awp101 wrote:I'm just curious, what will the 180g do that the 158g won't? I don't think I've ever fooled with anything heavier than 158g.
The 180 grain shoots well out of my micro-groove marlin barrel. Both lead & jacketed bullets do well. Lighter bullets are not nearly as accurate.
NRA life member
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

what will the 180g do that the 158g won't?
They do seem to be more accurate in cast bullets. Even mine, which hates cast bullets, can put them all into 2" at 50yds with about 8.3gr of blue dot, I haven't tried a HV load for it yet.
The 180gr is 14% heavier than the 158gr so it carries more momentum to the target which should give deeper penetration on game, or more smack down on steel silhouettes.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Thanks again guys. Brian, I just sent off an email to Hodgdon. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the idea!

As far as the "180g do that the 158g won't?" goes, there are just some calibers that I prefer a "heavy for caliber" bullet. Most of the replies have given good reasons for it but for me it really comes down to if the firearm will shoot them accurately and most do. They retain velocity, energy and handle any wind better all else being equal. They do drop though. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

And thanks for the 158g vs 180g answers! :mrgreen:

I tend to favor heavier bullets but I guess I've never seen or paid any attention to the 180g if there's a factory load. If not, it looks like I've got something to add to the reloading list! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I played with H110 awhile back in the .357 rifle with 180's. Mine settled in around 13 grains and again around 16 grains. HEAVY crimps made all the difference.

NOTE that 16 is OVER MAXIMUM RECOMMENDED CHARGE WEIGHT and is NOT recommended.

That being said, I had better luck with Lil'Gun.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I know you want to use your powder, but I have been using IMR4227 with best results. 13.0 gr is the max in the Lasercast manual, and that's what I use. It's accurate for silhouette. It fills all the space in the case as far as I can tell.

With lead bullets I'm trying to keep velocity down to avoid leading, so the 180's give a little more power for the silhouette targets.

For reduced loads I use SR 4759 (9.5 gr). Accuracy is good and I don't get unburnt kernels as I did with rifle cartridges. The SR4759 fills the case and will be very obvious if you load a double charge.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »