OT - She Finally Graduated!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

OT - She Finally Graduated!

Post by COSteve »

Our youngest finally graduated from the University of Colorado, Boulder this morning after a 5 year course of study. That finishes up college costs for both the kids. However, our son is still in grad school, starting his 4th year and is working towards a PhD is Physics. The good news for me is that the college pays him to earn his doctorate while he works at a National Lab in Boulder called NIST on his field, condensed matter physics.

Anyway, we all are happy she made it through as it was touch and go sometimes but she hung in there. We're proud of them both but in a way I'm more proud of my daughter because college doesn't come naturally for her like it does for her brother and so she had to really work to make it happen. Now that its over, we're happy, relieved, and looking forward to the 'economic aide' packages to stop this summer.

GO BUFFs!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Hobie

Re: OT - She Finally Graduated!

Post by Hobie »

Congratulations!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Outstanding..... Maybe your son will give us a good particle beam weapon someday :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

BlaineG wrote:Outstanding..... Maybe your son will give us a good particle beam weapon someday :idea:
That would be great because one of the things my son's research group is working on is cold fusion so if they both succeed, we'll have both the weapon and the power to make it work. Then my daughter's interior design skills can make it look sexy!!
Steve
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Can you and the wife both survive in the house. I mean, with all the room being taken up with swollen heads. I'm kidding... I would be very, very proud of that accomplishment. Congratulatons to you and the Mrs.
Old Law Dawg
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Congratulations, and I know what you're feeling. My daughter graduated on the 5-year plan and my son graduated 3 times. Each time, I thought "Oh boy, he's gonna make some money now". Finally, he is and has his own practice. I felt a great sense of pride and at the same time, felt some sadness because they weren't my little boy and little girl any longer. But both have made me a Grandad and still come around often.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Woohoo! That's great!

I've got a ways to go before I get there.... but the first one is graduating next Friday :) And she's going to be in a PHD program too - genetics at the Univ of Iowa. Same kinda deal but she works as a TA and in the lab I think. Still, a good deal.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Tell your son to get cracking on the "energy of the future". I'm getting tired of seeing windmills covering everything in every direction I look, to send power for some urban nitwit to run his electric car.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Woohoo! That's great!

I've got a ways to go before I get there.... but the first one is graduating next Friday :) And she's going to be in a PHD program too - genetics at the Univ of Iowa. Same kinda deal but she works as a TA and in the lab I think. Still, a good deal.
Yep, Peter was a TA for a year and then he started on his research. He's already published a couple of articles; the 1st while he was an undergraduate.

'Dipolar molecular rotors in the metal–organic framework crystal IRMOF-2'

'Prototype Thermal Design for a 256 Pixel Transition Edge Sensor Bolometer Array with Additional on-chip Cooling'

DON'T even bother to ask what his publications mean because both are far, far over my simple brain to understand.

However, lest I digress too far; back to our youngest, Amy. We're throwing her a big party at the house tomorrow evening and so far about 30 of her friends and most of the neighborhood is coming. We plan to celebrate into the wee hours so I'll likely be dragging come Sunday morning.

It's so invigorating talking to them and listening to their plans and dreams for their lives. I'm so proud of both of them I could bust because both are great, levelheaded young adults now, with a great sense of themselves, a true humility of their accomplishments, and best of all both share a wonder and excitement of what lies in front of them.

(wipes a tear . . . . ) I guess my wife did a great job on both of them 'cause I was mainly clueless as far as raising kids goes. Seemed like I was always 2 steps behind what stage they were in. Luckily, I learned early to keep out of the way and let the 'expert' run things around the home. When I think of it, that wasn't a bad plan. :lol:
Last edited by COSteve on Fri May 07, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats!!! :D
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

That's great , another leg of the journey done with positive results !

You might even be able to submit to the Chief of Staff for a bigger levergun budget this year. :)
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Steve,
Congrats to them both.You should be extremely proud of them and you two parents for supporting them.
Their/your very hard work, will pay off greatly for them both. Being retired in the field of dealing with NIST (Metrologist) I can say your son will find the work there extremely interesting and rewarding.Keep us updated!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Tell her congratulations for us :D :lol:
I'm heading out the door for my daughters graduation right now.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Congratulations to you and your wife. Getting through all those years with your sanity is an accomplishment. My daughter, sighthunter, is in college now and I am trying to find ways to deal with the stress she is causing. Nothing out of the ordinary, but watching your kids grow up and make their own mistakes is very stressfull. Congratulations to your daughter, and may she find a great job which she can make a living doing and enjoy it each and every day.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations.. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Congrats!
looking forward to the 'economic aide' packages to stop this summer.
Be advised though......this never really happens
The Lord Bless You

Terry
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Congratulations :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Congratulations. I think you will find it 'aint over yet with the kids- They allways have a hand in your pocket one way or another.